ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family Based Visa

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

GMurphy
Newly Registered

Family Based Visa

Post by GMurphy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi,

I am planning on applying for citizenship through my brother who is a US citizen. I have read that I can stay in the US while my petition is being processed by changing my status with the I-130, is this true? How long does it normally take for a sibling petition to go through? Will it work in my favour that I have a BSc degree and have never overstayed my visas in the US before? Thanks for your time and I hope to hear your response.

Thanks

Gary Murphy

darko

Re: Family Based Visa

Post by darko » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:50 pm

GMurphy wrote:Hi,

I am planning on applying for citizenship through my brother who is a US citizen. I have read that I can stay in the US while my petition is being processed by changing my status with the I-130, is this true? How long does it normally take for a sibling petition to go through? Will it work in my favour that I have a BSc degree and have never overstayed my visas in the US before? Thanks for your time and I hope to hear your response.

Thanks

Gary Murphy
I think you got bunch of things wrong: you can't apply for citizenship through your brother: only green card.

It takes many years to petition to go through and you either have to remain outside the country during the pending petition or maintain your own status in the US. I am not an expert by any means so wait for more answers.

GMurphy
Newly Registered

Post by GMurphy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:59 pm

I meant Legal Residency instead of Citizenship.

Lev Kobrin
Newly Registered

Post by Lev Kobrin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:26 pm

GMurphy wrote:I meant Legal Residency instead of Citizenship.
Any way, it is long way, and you can not wait the process beig inside the USA.

wizbiz24x7
Newly Registered

Post by wizbiz24x7 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Well, my brother (uncle's son) is also a US citizen, can I apply for green card based on the relationship ?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:22 pm

wizbiz24x7 wrote:Well, my brother (uncle's son) is also a US citizen, can I apply for green card based on the relationship ?
An uncle's son is a cousin, not a brother. And no, you cannot get an immigrant visa based on this relationship.