ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

marrying a us citizen when i visit usa

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mufty
Newly Registered

marrying a us citizen when i visit usa

Post by mufty » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:10 am

if i get married while in the usa ( visa waiver) and return to uk to work for a while would it make my perminent entry easier, when i finally move to USA could i enter under waiver again and stay as i am now married

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:39 pm

Returning to the uk may make your permanent residency application stronger if you gather up savings to strengthen the financial aspect of your application.

However, if you want to settle in the united states you can not just enter under the vwp as that is only granted for a period of 3 months for vistors.

You should try for the CR-1 or the K3.

Good luck :)

Lev Kobrin
Newly Registered

Re: marrying a us citizen when i visit usa

Post by Lev Kobrin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:07 pm

mufty wrote:if i get married while in the usa ( visa waiver) and return to uk to work for a while would it make my perminent entry easier, when i finally move to USA could i enter under waiver again and stay as i am now married
1) would it make my perminent entry easier, when i finally move to USA - NO
2) could i enter under waiver again - YES
3) and stay as i am now married - NO
To stay as a spouse your spouse should fill out I-130 Form and, if he is a citizen, you may fill out I-485. Then, you can legally stay in the States.