ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self-sufficiency for EEA/non-EEA couple?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bunny80

Self-sufficiency for EEA/non-EEA couple?

Post by bunny80 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:54 pm

I am trying to find out if there are any EU countries where it would be relatively easy to get a residence card for my wife (US national). I am romanian and play online poker for a living. The BA rejected our applications on the basis that gambling couldn't possibly be an income (even though I showed them bank statements going back 15 months, with current savings of over £17k and total withdrawals of £85k for the whole period, screenshots of my poker accounts etc.).

We are still considering an appeal but meanwhile it would be great if we could find a EU country where this process is easier. I assume the lower income countries would be better since the money would last for longer. I wish they had some find of fixed requirements ( say ''having private health insurance, 40k euros in the bank and a lease for 6 months'', like a points system) instead of depending on a single individual's opinion . I am pretty sure now that mentioning poker was a mistake but I don't know how I could have explained all the regular transfers coming into my bank account every few weeks.

If anyone here has experience with self-sufficiency in any EU state I'd be very greatful if you could share it with me. Thanks!

Majeztic

Post by Majeztic » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Well if u are a romanian citizen, ROMANIA would be a good start :) ,she could a get a 'Carte de Rezidenta Pentru Membru de Familie', which is valid for 5 years.

bunny80

Post by bunny80 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:39 pm

Majeztic wrote:Well if u are a romanian citizen, ROMANIA would be a good start :) ,she could a get a 'Carte de Rezidenta Pentru Membru de Familie', which is valid for 5 years.
we'd rather not go back there for several reasons, plus from what i've heard it might me more difficult since it's my own country.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:03 pm

Why not start of nominal small business in UK as u r allowed to as a Rom Cit.

Doesn't have to be profitable or any good - just make a small loss or something.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

bunny80

Post by bunny80 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:34 pm

Wanderer wrote:Why not start of nominal small business in UK as u r allowed to as a Rom Cit.

Doesn't have to be profitable or any good - just make a small loss or something.
i thought they wanted to see you are making decent profits from any kind of business you run , to make sure it can support you and your family? there's a whole list of stuff they want to see in the ''self-employed'' page of the form: payments, names of clients, ways you advertise, contracts, references etc.

on another note, does anyone know how hard it is to get a EEA app through in a country where you don't speak the language? do they have english forms everywhere ? well that and dealing with official staff in general..

EDIT: one thing i forgot to ask is if we get a residence card in one EU country, what rights does my wife have in another country ? if we get a german RC can we go to france and live there or would we need a new french RC after 3 months? cheers.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:23 pm

bunny80 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Why not start of nominal small business in UK as u r allowed to as a Rom Cit.

i thought they wanted to see you are making decent profits from any kind of business you run , to make sure it can support you and your family? there's a whole list of stuff they want to see in the ''self-employed'' page of the form: payments, names of clients, ways you advertise, contracts, references etc.

on another note, does anyone know how hard it is to get a EEA app through in a country where you don't speak the language? do they have english forms everywhere ? well that and dealing with official staff in general..

EDIT: one thing i forgot to ask is if we get a residence card in one EU country, what rights does my wife have in another country ? if we get a german RC can we go to france and live there or would we need a new french RC after 3 months? cheers.
Its better for u to go get the residence thing from Romania.

After 3 month...she need to register to stay in another EU country even though she has another EU residence..even u need to do the same.
Charles4u

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:10 pm

the following link provides some information and figures for Malta:

http://www.foreign.gov.mt/Library/Citiz ... A7-EUR.pdf