ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New born passport and visa - Timing

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

z.yas
Newly Registered

New born passport and visa - Timing

Post by z.yas » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi,

I am on a work permit visa and am going to apply for ILR in February 2010. We have a new addition to our family now... he was born about six weeks ago and we have yet to apply for his passport... just hoping that we are not too late in this process.

we are not too clear about the procedure for applying visa for new born, and thought we'd seek some advice from other forum members here on the following:

1. Is there any time limit on applying for a new born passport and then visa?

2. Can we apply for the new born visa at the same time we do our ILR application in 3 - 4 months time?

3. We have registered the birth with the local registrar, so apart from passport and visa, is there anything else would need to do in relation to our child's registration / documentation?

Thank you.

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:29 pm

what is your nationality??

z.yas
Newly Registered

Post by z.yas » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:06 pm

HSMP2008_JANUARY wrote:what is your nationality??
Pakistani. Thanks!

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Re: New born passport and visa - Timing

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:55 pm

z.yas wrote:Hi,

I am on a work permit visa and am going to apply for ILR in February 2010. We have a new addition to our family now... he was born about six weeks ago and we have yet to apply for his passport... just hoping that we are not too late in this process.

we are not too clear about the procedure for applying visa for new born, and thought we'd seek some advice from other forum members here on the following:

2. Can we apply for the new born visa at the same time we do our ILR application in 3 - 4 months time?

3. We have registered the birth with the local registrar, so apart from passport and visa, is there anything else would need to do in relation to our child's registration / documentation?

Thank you.
There is no time limit for applying for passport but you need it if you travel outside UK. I am not sure about the procedure for applying Pakistani passport but to apply for Indian passport you need to first register child as Indian national and then apply for passport. I assure it may be same procedure for Pakistan too.
You have few options available as you are going to get ILR by Feb 2010. If you are not planning to travel outside UK before you get your ILR AND if you are planning to apply for British citizenship for the baby then
a. You dont need to apply and get Pakistani passport
b. You dont need to apply for visa for your baby.
This will save you lot of money ( Passport fee + FLR fee (£460)). Once you get your ILR you can apply for naturalization of your baby.

2. Yes you can apply for ILR for your baby with you but to do that you need to first have Pakistani passport. As I said above if your intention is to get your baby BC then you dont need any of these thing.

3. You need to register your babies birth ( which you have already done ) and only birth registration certificate is enough for all the future application ( Passport, Visa, Naturalization).

z.yas
Newly Registered

Post by z.yas » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:20 pm

HSMP2008_JANUARY wrote:
z.yas wrote:Hi,

Thank you.
There is no time limit for applying for passport but you need it if you travel outside UK. I am not sure about the procedure for applying Pakistani passport but to apply for Indian passport you need to first register child as Indian national and then apply for passport. I assure it may be same procedure for Pakistan too.
You have few options available as you are going to get ILR by Feb 2010. If you are not planning to travel outside UK before you get your ILR AND if you are planning to apply for British citizenship for the baby then
a. You dont need to apply and get Pakistani passport
b. You dont need to apply for visa for your baby.
This will save you lot of money ( Passport fee + FLR fee (£460)). Once you get your ILR you can apply for naturalization of your baby.

2. Yes you can apply for ILR for your baby with you but to do that you need to first have Pakistani passport. As I said above if your intention is to get your baby BC then you dont need any of these thing.

3. You need to register your babies birth ( which you have already done ) and only birth registration certificate is enough for all the future application ( Passport, Visa, Naturalization).

Thanks. This is very helpful, and we are glad that there is no rush for the passport. However, would you mind giving some more details on the naturalisation point you mentioned above? Based on what we have seen on this forum so far, it appears that new born babies are eligible for citizenship if at the time of birth either of the parents is BC or parmanent resident. Given that we were only on the work permit status when he was born, is this true that we could still apply for his naturalisation after our ILR next year and we don't have to include him with our ILR application. Thanks again.

z.yas
Newly Registered

Follow up

Post by z.yas » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:19 pm

Can I please encourage the members here to help me with my query. Thank you all in advance for your assistance with this.

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks. This is very helpful, and we are glad that there is no rush for the passport. However, would you mind giving some more details on the naturalisation point you mentioned above? Based on what we have seen on this forum so far, it appears that new born babies are eligible for citizenship if at the time of birth either of the parents is BC or parmanent resident. Given that we were only on the work permit status when he was born, is this true that we could still apply for his naturalisation after our ILR next year and we don't have to include him with our ILR application. Thanks again.
Yes thats true that u can apply for naturalization of ur baby after u get ur ILR.

z.yas
Newly Registered

Post by z.yas » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:31 pm

HSMP2008_JANUARY wrote:
Yes thats true that u can apply for naturalization of ur baby after u get ur ILR.
Thanks again for your help here. It was worth waiting for the response :)

smartchap2k

query about route to UK nationality for child born in UK

Post by smartchap2k » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Dear all,

I am a married Indian national on work permit since last 4 and half years in UK (3 years on student visa prior to that) we just had a baby born in UK in May 2009. (Say congratulations ! …..Thank you)

Our PR is due in March 2010. I haven’t applied for my Baby’s passport nor his registration with Indian embassy yet. I understand, as long as one of the parent for a child born in UK is permanently settled ( PR) the child is automatically eligible for British nationality.

By reading this forum I understand the application for British passport for a child born in UK does not take more than a month approximately. My intention is to apply for my child’s British nationality ( registration) ASAP.

As we don’t have any travel plans till August 2010, would it be advisable in my case to wait and apply directly for British nationality for my child instead of getting an Indian passport for a child born in UK now and then applying for british nationality/passport 5 months down the line.

Any disadvantage/advantage in going down the Indian to British route compared to getting the British nationality directly??

Please advice. Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance Very Happy

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Re: query about route to UK nationality for child born in UK

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:57 pm

smartchap2k wrote: As we don’t have any travel plans till August 2010, would it be advisable in my case to wait and apply directly for British nationality for my child instead of getting an Indian passport for a child born in UK now and then applying for british nationality/passport 5 months down the line.

Any disadvantage/advantage in going down the Indian to British route compared to getting the British nationality directly??

Please advice. Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance Very Happy
Yes, you can do that. The advantage of applying for naturalization of your baby after you get your ILR is that you can save money on Indian registration + Passport + FLR for bay which altogether costs you £500.

smartchap2k

Post by smartchap2k » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:11 pm

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your responses. much appreciated

smartchap2k

Post by smartchap2k » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Hey guys,

Just checked MN1 ( child registration as british citizen) form and section 1.9 ask's for child's present nationality.

As discussed before, if we do not need to register the child nor apply for his passport at Indian embassy, what i got to fill in section 1.9 of MN1 form which states clearly to mention childs present nationality.

Anyone please, your help in this matter would be gr8ly appreciated.

troyguy21

Post by troyguy21 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:30 pm

Present Nationality of your child is INDIAN
smartchap2k wrote:Hey guys,

Just checked MN1 ( child registration as british citizen) form and section 1.9 ask's for child's present nationality.

As discussed before, if we do not need to register the child nor apply for his passport at Indian embassy, what i got to fill in section 1.9 of MN1 form which states clearly to mention childs present nationality.

Anyone please, your help in this matter would be gr8ly appreciated.

smartchap2k

Post by smartchap2k » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:40 pm

just to let you know guys, the child is not an Indian citizen by descent unless his birth is registered at the Indian embassy with in one year of this birth.

Please see the following details which i found on ministry of home affairs website, Govt of India
"By Descent (section 4)

A person born outside India on or after 26th January 1950 but before 10th December 1992 is a citizen of India by descent, if his father was a citizen of India at the time of his birth. A person born outside India on or after 10th December 1992, is considered as a citizen of India if either of his parents is a citizen of India at the time of his birth. From 07th January 2004, a person born outside India shall not be a citizen of India by virtue of this Section, unless his birth is registered at an Indian consulate within one year of the date of birth or with the permission of the Central Government, after the expiry of the said period. An application, for registration of the birth of a minor child, to an Indian consulate under Section 4(1) shall be made in Form I and shall be accompanied by an undertaking in writing from the parents of such minor child that he or she does not hold the passport of another country."