ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

soni
Newly Registered

British Passport

Post by soni » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi There,

I was wondering how long it takes for my british passport.

I have been in the UK for 10 years, firstly as a student and then working, I got my indefinate leave residency last year and have now applied for my british passport.

Could someone advise me how long it takes to receieve my passport?

Also how can I track the progress of my application.

Many Thanks.
Last edited by soni on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:35 pm

Do you really mean that you have applied for a British passport? Or do you actually mean that you have applied for Naturalisation as British?
John

soni
Newly Registered

Post by soni » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:51 pm

I have applied for a british passport

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:33 pm

Did you apply for british citizenship first and include the naturalisation certificate you received at the ceremony with your passport application? If so you should receive a letter inviting you to arrange a passport identity interview fairly quickly, maybe within a few weeks or so.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:13 pm

I have applied for a british passport
So you have already become British and received a Certificate of Naturalisation? If not, your application for a British passport is bound to fail. Those are only given to British Citizens.
John

soni
Newly Registered

Post by soni » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Basically, how long does it take to get naturalisation?

How long then to get british citizenship?

How long to get my british passport?

What is the process and how long does it take for each?

Sorry about the confusion

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:59 pm

soni wrote:Basically, how long does it take to get naturalisation?

Naturalisation would mean u r a British Citizen. Costs about £700 or so now, maybe more.

U'd need to have had ILR for a year too.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

soni
Newly Registered

Post by soni » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:36 pm

Yes I have ILR.

SO how long would it take for naturalisation?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Unless you are married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen you must have had your ILR for at least one year when you apply for your Naturalisation.

So question ..... when did you get your ILR?

Go to this UKBA webpage, have a read of that, and then download the form AN and the Guide AN.

How long will it take? No guarantee but especially if you apply using an NCS office, you might well hear the result of your application in 3 or 4 months.
John

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:49 am

John wrote:Unless you are married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen you must have had your ILR for at least one year when you apply for your Naturalisation.

So question ..... when did you get your ILR?

Go to this UKBA webpage, have a read of that, and then download the form AN and the Guide AN.

How long will it take? No guarantee but especially if you apply using an NCS office, you might well hear the result of your application in 3 or 4 months.
NCS doesn't speed it up, it's just any mistakes in the application may be spotted earlier.

I know of a recent application (spouse of a British citizen) who didn't use NCS and got the confirmation letter within 3 weeks of posting her application. But just because she got it that quickly it doesn't mean that you will.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:47 am

NCS doesn't speed it up, it's just any mistakes in the application may be spotted earlier.
The Home Office deny that using NCS speeds matters up. However the evidence on Boards such as this is rather different.
John

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:05 am

John wrote:
The Home Office deny that using NCS speeds matters up. However the evidence on Boards such as this is rather different.
As I just said I know someone who didn't use NCS who got their application approved within 3 weeks - are you trying to say it would have been quicker if they had used NCS?

My wife didn't use NCS, and her application was processed quicker than someone else on this board (another spouse of a British citizen) who applied at a similar time using NCS.

The reason is every application is different so it it is impossible to compare the length of time two applications took, therefore any evidence on this board is inconclusive.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:06 pm

soni wrote:Basically, how long does it take to get naturalisation?

Soni for durations have a look at this thread on this forum. These are dates from people who have used the process recently ( well jump to the the last pages for most recent cases)
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=5575
@djb123 I think most recently the application process has been very quick this might not show in the different processing times. but not long ago when it was taking months rather than weeks I think there may very well have been a more significant and more apparent difference between NCS and postal.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:05 pm

f2k wrote: @djb123 I think most recently the application process has been very quick this might not show in the different processing times. but not long ago when it was taking months rather than weeks I think there may very well have been a more significant and more apparent difference between NCS and postal.
My experience is from feb 08 (when there was meant to be delays...) so that argument doesn't really work for me. I personally have never seen anything to suggest using NCS is any quicker, and you now seem to be saying because the applications are being processed quickly using NCS makes no difference either....