ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EC - Do docs need to translated to English?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lbfrancois

EC - Do docs need to translated to English?

Post by lbfrancois » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:47 pm

Hi,

Do the documents for EC need to be translated to English by a sworn translator?

I haven't found any information about it in the local embassy website, in fact, I have read some posts from ppl who didnt provide any translation for the docs.

your comments will be appreciated...

Thanks,
Lu.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:06 pm

Yes your docs need to be tranlated.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

lbfrancois

Post by lbfrancois » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:48 pm

Hi,

Are you sure about this?

Where did you find this information?

I went through all the guidance notes and couldn't find any statement that requires docs to be translated for the EC...

I know they need to be translated for HSMP, but I am unsure if it is required for the EC as well, as all the docs are examined by the local embassy and the language native speakers...

Could any of the moderators pls answer this question?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:01 pm

Yes documents not in English do indeed need to be translated into English ... to assist the ECO in the British Mission to make their decision. After all that ECO is British and is not necessarily fluent in the language of the country where they happen to be stationed.

Those translations could also be helpful in the UK, so don't neglect to bring them with you. For example, a translation of a birth certificate will be helpful in getting a National Insurance number or driving licence, etc etc..

General rule in the UK .... use the original document and the translation into English as if they together formed one document. That is, don't just supply the translation ... supply the original and the translation together.
... by a sworn translator?
Check with the British Mission concerned whose translation they will accept. For example in Bangkok where my wife applied the British Embassy will accept a translation done by any of the translation bureaux in Bangkok or elsewhere, and certified by that bureau.
John

lbfrancois

Post by lbfrancois » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:42 pm

Hi John,

Thank you,

I guess it is logical to get it translated... i just didnt want to wait more time to apply... I am trying to check with the embassy who can make the translations, but here they never answer questions by phone and rarely by e-mail. The embassy is about one hour and a half from where I live, and I didnt want to have to go there again... I forgot to ask that when I went there the first time (I should have made a list of things to ask).

I had the docs translated by a sworn translator for HSMP, do you think it would be acceptable if I used the services of the same translator?

Thank you,
Lu.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:21 pm

lbfrancois wrote:I had the docs translated by a sworn translator for HSMP, do you think it would be acceptable if I used the services of the same translator?
I think, yes, that should not be a problem.

When you do submit the application, submit both the original and the translation. That way, if the British Mission have any query their in-house interpreters can check the validity of any translation.
John

lbfrancois

Post by lbfrancois » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:13 pm

Hi John,

I was starting to gather the docs for translation, and I just received an email from the local british embassy regarding that question!!

They said there is no need to send translations, they accept documents both in english and in the native language (either way) for this type of visa.

My guess is that it depends on the embassy and the type of visa you are applying...

But I will get the docs translated anyway after I get my EC, I might need them in uk...

Thanks,
Lu.