ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

In person appointment Tier 1 (switching from WP) issued

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nirmal_kishore

In person appointment Tier 1 (switching from WP) issued

Post by nirmal_kishore » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:23 am

Hello Folks
Just wanted to tell you all the story of the process I went through to get my Work Permit switched to Tier 1. Sorry it's a bit long but I wanted to be sure I cover all aspects of my application just so that aspirant applicants may find answers to some questions.

Before I begin, thanks very much to all those who strive to keep this forum live. It was my 'one stop shop' for all questions related to immigration (it still is).

Background:
Previous status: Work Permit holder validity till May 2012
Readiness: Had all the documents required (Masters Degree, Maintenance funds, Language, Earnings etc.)
Applicants: self, spouse and 1 child

In terms of documentation, this is what I had:

1. 3 Applications along with all associated passports.
2. 2 photographs for each applicant
3. Print out of the points calculator summary from the UKBA website
4. Cover letter including the following:
---a. A main page with a summary
---b. An 'table of contents' page
---c. 1 page per section from the points calculator - just briefly explaining what the submitted evidence is and any 'things to note'.
---d. A table showing the funds available across all my accounts for 90 days that I was claiming for. - YES 90 lines of information!
5. All evidence
---a. Masters Degree certficate - original
---b. Bank statements - orginal
---c. Payslips - mostly original and 2 duplicate (attested by my HR)
---d. Traffic offence - copy of the letter I received notifying me of my speeding offence

Also wherever I thought was appropriate, I had little post it notes suggesting what the evidence is etc.

You might think some of the things like 'Table of Contents' and the funds table are unnecessary but I wasn't prepared to leave anything for chance. So this is your own decision. I just wanted to make it as easy as possible for the case worker to work through my application.
Regarding photos avoid using those kiosks. In my case we went to a proper photographer who understood the HO requirements. I agree it does cost significantly higher than the kiosks but worse would be to have your applications returned due to unacceptable photographs.

My application was pretty straight forward but one issue I had was with time. My wife and kid were going on a holiday for a couple of months and I wanted to get the Tier 1 stamped before they left so a postal application wasn't an option. At the same time I didn't want to apply separately because it costs a fortune. So I decided to go for an in-person application. I started contacting solicitors who claimed (mostly on www.gumtree.com) that they offer same day services. I had confidence that my documentation was to a pretty good standard but most solicitors typically insisted that they would do the entire documentation all over again. This I believe was due to 2 reasons - 1. to justify the high price they were quoting. 2. they would essentially act as my representative so there is a sense of responsibility for whatever they submit at HO.
Anyway I eventually found a solicitor who would basically just charge me for the same day service appointment.

My solicitor submitted the application on a Friday but didn't get it till about 5pm Monday. Now this I believe is because of the solicitor's carelessness. From an email I happened to see I figured that my solicitor requested for confirmation of the Friday appointment but also stated that it is for collection on MOnday, but he hid this from me. So if you are going for a same day service appointment through a solicitor be aware that there can be only 2 reasons for it not being completed the same day - 1. A problem with the application - could be documentation, need for further checks etc.. or 2. your solicitor being lazy to collect the same day.

And that's not the end of the story yet. When I got the passports on Monday(19th Oct), my wife and son's passports got stamps with validity till Oct 2012 but my own passport had validity till Oct 2010. (1 year). It was obvious there was a mistake so I asked my solicitor to get that corrected. He submitted it the following Friday and it was returned the very same day with the correct stamp.

Humble beginning.. Happy ending!

Hope that was useful.

Cheers
Nirmal

Markie

Re: In person appointment Tier 1 (switching from WP) issued

Post by Markie » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:23 am

well done and good and comprehensive account of things that you have laid out!
nirmal_kishore wrote:Hello Folks
Just wanted to tell you all the story of the process I went through to get my Work Permit switched to Tier 1. Sorry it's a bit long but I wanted to be sure I cover all aspects of my application just so that aspirant applicants may find answers to some questions.

Before I begin, thanks very much to all those who strive to keep this forum live. It was my 'one stop shop' for all questions related to immigration (it still is).

Background:
Previous status: Work Permit holder validity till May 2012
Readiness: Had all the documents required (Masters Degree, Maintenance funds, Language, Earnings etc.)
Applicants: self, spouse and 1 child

In terms of documentation, this is what I had:

1. 3 Applications along with all associated passports.
2. 2 photographs for each applicant
3. Print out of the points calculator summary from the UKBA website
4. Cover letter including the following:
---a. A main page with a summary
---b. An 'table of contents' page
---c. 1 page per section from the points calculator - just briefly explaining what the submitted evidence is and any 'things to note'.
---d. A table showing the funds available across all my accounts for 90 days that I was claiming for. - YES 90 lines of information!
5. All evidence
---a. Masters Degree certficate - original
---b. Bank statements - orginal
---c. Payslips - mostly original and 2 duplicate (attested by my HR)
---d. Traffic offence - copy of the letter I received notifying me of my speeding offence

Also wherever I thought was appropriate, I had little post it notes suggesting what the evidence is etc.

You might think some of the things like 'Table of Contents' and the funds table are unnecessary but I wasn't prepared to leave anything for chance. So this is your own decision. I just wanted to make it as easy as possible for the case worker to work through my application.
Regarding photos avoid using those kiosks. In my case we went to a proper photographer who understood the HO requirements. I agree it does cost significantly higher than the kiosks but worse would be to have your applications returned due to unacceptable photographs.

My application was pretty straight forward but one issue I had was with time. My wife and kid were going on a holiday for a couple of months and I wanted to get the Tier 1 stamped before they left so a postal application wasn't an option. At the same time I didn't want to apply separately because it costs a fortune. So I decided to go for an in-person application. I started contacting solicitors who claimed (mostly on www.gumtree.com) that they offer same day services. I had confidence that my documentation was to a pretty good standard but most solicitors typically insisted that they would do the entire documentation all over again. This I believe was due to 2 reasons - 1. to justify the high price they were quoting. 2. they would essentially act as my representative so there is a sense of responsibility for whatever they submit at HO.
Anyway I eventually found a solicitor who would basically just charge me for the same day service appointment.

My solicitor submitted the application on a Friday but didn't get it till about 5pm Monday. Now this I believe is because of the solicitor's carelessness. From an email I happened to see I figured that my solicitor requested for confirmation of the Friday appointment but also stated that it is for collection on MOnday, but he hid this from me. So if you are going for a same day service appointment through a solicitor be aware that there can be only 2 reasons for it not being completed the same day - 1. A problem with the application - could be documentation, need for further checks etc.. or 2. your solicitor being lazy to collect the same day.

And that's not the end of the story yet. When I got the passports on Monday(19th Oct), my wife and son's passports got stamps with validity till Oct 2012 but my own passport had validity till Oct 2010. (1 year). It was obvious there was a mistake so I asked my solicitor to get that corrected. He submitted it the following Friday and it was returned the very same day with the correct stamp.

Humble beginning.. Happy ending!

Hope that was useful.

Cheers
Nirmal

pkumar
Member of Standing

Post by pkumar » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:12 am

Is it possible to have Solicitor just book an appointment date of your choice while you do everything else (going to PEO office personally,etc)? How much do they charge?

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:36 am

pkumar wrote:Is it possible to have Solicitor just book an appointment date of your choice while you do everything else (going to PEO office personally,etc)? How much do they charge?
Is there problem booking appointments online now? What is the earliest date available?
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

nirmal_kishore

Post by nirmal_kishore » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:29 pm

Thanks Markie
PKumar's question - Is it possible to have Solicitor just book an appointment date of your choice while you do everything else (going to PEO office personally,etc)? How much do they charge?
No. That probably is not an option. UKBA accept applications only from those who have made the appointment. Re. how much they charge - I don't mind answering that question but I am not sure if discussing those aspects is allowed on this forum. Seniors?
Push's question - Is there problem booking appointments online now? What is the earliest date available?
My answer is 'Yes there is a problem'. It may differ for others. I tried non-stop for about 3 before and after I started speaking to solicitors but all the appointments for the 6 weeks from the date of booking for all the 6 or 7 PEOs in the country were showing 'No appointments available'. I am not a 100% sure but my guess would be that the appointments regardless of being booked online or by phone all come from the same pool(i.e a certain no. of slots per day) - so there is little or no chance of finding free slots.

Rgds
Nirmal

yadakishore
Newly Registered

Post by yadakishore » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi Nirmal,

Could you send me the details of the solicitor at yadakishore@gmail.com and the price he charged.

- Kishore

yeahkisha
Newly Registered

Post by yeahkisha » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:54 am

Hi Nirmal,

Congratulations!

Thanks for the details you have provided. I am in a similar situation and looking for a reliable same day service. The info you have provided seems to be of very helpful for my situation. Could you please send me the details of the solicitor and charges they have imposed? You can email me at yeahkisha@gmail.com. Also, could you please email the templates of cover letter that you have used for your application.

Your quick response is greatly appreciated.

nirmal_kishore

Post by nirmal_kishore » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi Kishore and YeahKisha
I have emailed you with the details.

cheers

niceguyinuk

Post by niceguyinuk » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:14 pm

hi nirmal please send the solicitor details to my email rahulvarma2003@gmail.com

pallavik87
Newly Registered

Post by pallavik87 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:13 am

Hello Nirmal,
Can you please email me the solicitor details and fee as well please. pallavik87@gmail.com
Thanks in advance!

yinScarlett
Newly Registered

Post by yinScarlett » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:45 am

me, too. could you please send me the solicitor name, charge and phone number? Thanks a lot. :D Scarlett forgot my email address yin_sc@hotmail.com

fsaeed
Newly Registered

solicitor charges

Post by fsaeed » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi,

Can you please send me the solicitor id and charges as I am also struggling to get an in person appointment at the following id.

faisalonthenet@gmail.com

Looking forward for your help.