ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tenancy agreement

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

robink
Newly Registered

Tenancy agreement

Post by robink » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi,

This is not related with HSMP, but need some advise from uk residents...

I am staying at a rented property from March -09. It was with an agent, and in the mean time landlord came into picture for replacing few things and become comfortable with him.. At the end of first six months landlord wanted to break up with agent sign the contract directly with me. I was ok with that since i had bad experience with the agent and i was very comfortable with the landlord. Before signing the agreement i did not thoroughly read it.

Now i wanted to leave in two months into my tenancy as per the new agreement, i find there is no breaking clause/notice period. Agents agreement had 1 month breaking clause. Now the landlord is not ready for any settlement. He is ok if i find someone else, but i am finding it very difficult..

I feel i am cheated because he made a contract that is even more restrictive than the initial one.. Any chances of getting out of this contract?.. Do i have any legal standing???

Thanks in advance....

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:19 pm

THIS IS immigration uk board, u may find help in tenant and property consultancy board or like that

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Tenancy agreement

Post by ChetanOjha » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:14 pm

robink wrote:Hi,

I am staying at a rented property from March -09. It was with an agent, and in the mean time landlord came into picture for replacing few things and become comfortable with him.. At the end of first six months landlord wanted to break up with agent sign the contract directly with me. I was ok with that since i had bad experience with the agent and i was very comfortable with the landlord. Before signing the agreement i did not thoroughly read it.

Now i wanted to leave in two months into my tenancy as per the new agreement, i find there is no breaking clause/notice period. Agents agreement had 1 month breaking clause. Now the landlord is not ready for any settlement. He is ok if i find someone else, but i am finding it very difficult..

I feel i am cheated because he made a contract that is even more restrictive than the initial one.. Any chances of getting out of this contract?.. Do i have any legal standing???

Thanks in advance....
Another perspective is, since you do not have any breaking clause you can break anytime. You can speak to Citizen Advice Bueurae for the same. In such cases, at the most notice period is for one month(to be fair to both the parties). If you go to citizen advice baurae you will get proper guidance. You can also subscribe to Which? Legal assistance where you can speak to qualified lawyer(initial one month only cost under £20). once you issue is resolved, you can leave the membership.

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Re: Tenancy agreement

Post by raymasa2 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:42 pm

robink wrote:Hi,

Thanks in advance....
Depending on where you live, your city or county council may also have a department that deals with rented accomodation issues.

But why do you feel cheated? I am assuming you are an adult and should know that when you sign an agreement you are bound by it. Just because you decide not to read the agreement and signed it, now you blaming someone else for your problems. Accept responsibility, learn from it and dont make the same mistake next time.

Ray