ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration Query - Regarding my Sister

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

christophercamelot
Newly Registered

Immigration Query - Regarding my Sister

Post by christophercamelot » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Hello Everyone!

I am a 25 year old student residing on an international Visa in UK. I am in the 2nd year of my stay here. I have a sister who lives in my home country. She is around 33 years of age. She is unmarried and at present lives in a hostel. As our parents are no more I am her only relative. I have the following queries:-

1. Can I bring her to UK on a visitors Visa? If yes how long a Visa will she get?
2. If she manages to get a visa and arrives here will it be legally possible to make her my dependant?

meats
BANNED

Re: Immigration Query - Regarding my Sister

Post by meats » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:55 pm

christophercamelot wrote:Hello Everyone!

I am a 25 year old student residing on an international Visa in UK. I am in the 2nd year of my stay here. I have a sister who lives in my home country. She is around 33 years of age. She is unmarried and at present lives in a hostel. As our parents are no more I am her only relative. I have the following queries:-

1. Can I bring her to UK on a visitors Visa? If yes how long a Visa will she get?
2. If she manages to get a visa and arrives here will it be legally possible to make her my dependant?
1) 6 months - can't be extended in country and you are only allowed to be in the UK 6 months in every 12.

2) Not if she's on a visitor's visa no.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/study ... -students/ Have a look around here for more information

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 pm

meats wrote:

1) 6 months - can't be extended in country and you are only allowed to be in the UK 6 months in every 12.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/study ... -students/ Have a look around here for more information
And not if she's a sister either.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:12 pm

Wanderer wrote:
meats wrote:

And not if she's a sister either.....
I didn't think sister's could apply as a dependent but wasn't 100% sure.

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:58 pm

meats wrote:
Didn't think the 6 months mean't in every 12, thought it mean't at one time. If someone stayed for a 6 month visit they would not be allowed to return until 6 months had passed? What if they wanted to return after 2 or 3 months?

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:13 am

DesignChick wrote:Didn't think the 6 months mean't in every 12, thought it mean't at one time. If someone stayed for a 6 month visit they would not be allowed to return until 6 months had passed? What if they wanted to return after 2 or 3 months?
They run the risk of refusal. Bottom line.