ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Covering medical emergencies

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hiteshdargan

Covering medical emergencies

Post by hiteshdargan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi

How do I cover any medical emergencies for myself and my dependants on Tier 1 Visa.

Will i need to buy a mediclaim from India or from UK

ukvisaguru_co_uk

Post by ukvisaguru_co_uk » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:27 pm

When I came to UK in 2006, I took a 3 months medical policy from ICICI, just to cover any emergency situation. (Remember, emergency means it happens when it is least unexpected, without any warning)

I will never gamble on my or my family's medical needs. Once you are here in UK, you can register with NHS and then you don't have to worry about.

Also bring as many medicines and get full checkup done for your family, most important of which is a visit to Dentist as it is too costly to see a Dentist.

hiteshdargan

Post by hiteshdargan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:51 pm

ukvisaguru_co_uk wrote:When I came to UK in 2006, I took a 3 months medical policy from ICICI, just to cover any emergency situation. (Remember, emergency means it happens when it is least unexpected, without any warning)

I will never gamble on my or my family's medical needs. Once you are here in UK, you can register with NHS and then you don't have to worry about.

Also bring as many medicines and get full checkup done for your family, most important of which is a visit to Dentist as it is too costly to see a Dentist.
Hi

Do i need to be in a job to register with NHS, because I don't know how long it will take to find a job once I am in the UK

amitc

Post by amitc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:03 pm

No you dont need any job to register with NHS. You need 2 proof of your UK address- ideally a bank statement and any utility bill.
And you need proof of identity- passport
For any emergency you can visit your nearest hospital walk-in clinic. you dont need NHS registration for that.

Try to bring medicine as much as possible. Do full health check up inc dental before coming. Carry your/dependants chest x-ray report in hand luggage. you need to show those to Immig. officer at Airport.

ukvisaguru_co_uk

Post by ukvisaguru_co_uk » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:34 pm

amitc wrote:No you dont need any job to register with NHS. You need 2 proof of your UK address- ideally a bank statement and any utility bill.
And you need proof of identity- passport
For any emergency you can visit your nearest hospital walk-in clinic. you dont need NHS registration for that.

Try to bring medicine as much as possible. Do full health check up inc dental before coming. Carry your/dependants chest x-ray report in hand luggage. you need to show those to Immig. officer at Airport.
Amitc advice is very accurate. Registering to NHS is not a big deal. It just take time to get appointment and finish paperwork.