ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US girl and UK boy... what to do?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

53Kalypso
Newly Registered

US girl and UK boy... what to do?

Post by 53Kalypso » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Howdy, thanks for taking the time to read this. First of all, I apologize profusely if these questions have already been answered! I've clicked through existing posts but I'm completely ignorant in this subject and have no idea what all these abbreviations are... To sum it up, I'm beyond confused!

Here is a bit of background information about my situation:

I am a 21 yr old female US resident and citizen. 15 months ago I went on vacation to Scotland and met a wonderful guy (he is a British citizen). We became good friends fast and kept in constant contact after I returned to the US. Then, 6 months ago I went back to Scotland to see him and there we decided to turn what we had into a relationship. Crazy idea, I know! But we work so well :D Anyways, we've been doing this long-distance-relationship thing for a while now. We are both set to graduate this coming May, and he has applied for jobs in the States to try and get a work visa. I know it's relatively difficult to get a visa here, but he's very bright and he's getting his degree in a high demand field- chemical physics. So I'm hopeful. I feel like the relationship is taking a "serious" direction... 2 months ago he came and stayed here and met my family and next month I'm going back to the UK again to meet his parents. Now I don't want to jinx anything, but...

1) If we were ever to decide to get married, what kind of visas would we need?

2) We would probably want to live in the UK, so would we get married there or here in the States?

3) How would all of that coincide with his temporary work visa (assuming it gets approved)?

4) What kind of time frame would we be looking at here?

I love this guy more than I ever thought possible and I'm willing to do whatever it takes so we can be together. I wouldn't even be thinking of any of this if I didn't believe he felt the same way... So please help me if you can! I really appreciate it!
Last edited by 53Kalypso on Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:13 am

3) How would all of that coincide with his temporary work visa (assuming it gets approved)?
What is your boyfriends status in the UK ( ie is he a British citizen or is here on any work permit etc).

You need to answer this before you get a response

53Kalypso
Newly Registered

Post by 53Kalypso » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi, yes he is a British citizen.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: US girl and UK boy... what to do?

Post by ElenaW » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:23 pm

53Kalypso wrote:Howdy, thanks for taking the time to read this. First of all, I apologize profusely if these questions have already been answered! I've clicked through existing posts but I'm completely ignorant in this subject and have no idea what all these abbreviations are... To sum it up, I'm beyond confused!

Here is a bit of background information about my situation:

I am a 21 yr old female US resident and citizen. 15 months ago I went on vacation to Scotland and met a wonderful guy (he is a British citizen). We became good friends fast and kept in constant contact after I returned to the US. Then, 6 months ago I went back to Scotland to see him and there we decided to turn what we had into a relationship. Crazy idea, I know! But we work so well :D Anyways, we've been doing this long-distance-relationship thing for a while now. We are both set to graduate this coming May, and he has applied for jobs in the States to try and get a work visa. I know it's relatively difficult to get a visa here, but he's very bright and he's getting his degree in a high demand field- chemical physics. So I'm hopeful. I feel like the relationship is taking a "serious" direction... 2 months ago he came and stayed here and met my family and next month I'm going back to the UK again to meet his parents. Now I don't want to jinx anything, but...

1) If we were ever to decide to get married, what kind of visas would we need?

2) We would probably want to live in the UK, so would we get married there or here in the States?

4) What kind of time frame would we be looking at here?

I love this guy more than I ever thought possible and I'm willing to do whatever it takes so we can be together. I wouldn't even be thinking of any of this if I didn't believe he felt the same way... So please help me if you can! I really appreciate it!
You can get married in the states under the VWP and then apply for a UK spousal visa(from the US). If you use an expeditor you can get an approval within about 48 hours. If you want to marry in the uk you should get a fiance visa then you can do an in-country switch to spousal visa. If you do an in-country switch and pay for the premium service, you can get an approval the same day.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:55 pm

You need to comply with the following:
Proof that the relationship is genuine
That you are able to support yourselves financially in the UK without claiming public funds.
You have adequate accommodation in the UK
You must both be over 21

If you marry in the US you will apply for a spouse settlement visa on form VAF4a. The current visa fee is £585.
If you apply for a fiancee visa to marry in the UK (same form VAF4a), the fee will be £585, but you will have to apply for the Spouse visa after the marriage in the UK. The additional fee will be £665 if applied for in person, or £445 if applied for by post. Bear in mind that postal applications are taking around 3 months to process at present and you will be unable to work legally until you have been granted the spouse visa...FLR(M).
If you apply for a fiancee visa you will have 6 months in which to marry and apply for your Further Leave spouse visa.
Have a look at form VAF4a on: www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk and you will see what documents you need to submit.

53Kalypso
Newly Registered

Post by 53Kalypso » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks so much for replying guys! So what I'm getting is... I could apply for a fiance visa, go get married in the UK, then apply for a spouse visa after I'm already living there and wait til it gets approved before I could work? And this would cost me ~1250 quid? Good thing I have plenty of time to save up... :wink:

chesstar87

Post by chesstar87 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:31 pm

Casa wrote:You need to comply with the following:
Proof that the relationship is genuine
That you are able to support yourselves financially in the UK without claiming public funds.
You have adequate accommodation in the UK
You must both be over 21

If you marry in the US you will apply for a spouse settlement visa on form VAF4a. The current visa fee is £585.
If you apply for a fiancee visa to marry in the UK (same form VAF4a), the fee will be £585, but you will have to apply for the Spouse visa after the marriage in the UK. The additional fee will be £665 if applied for in person, or £445 if applied for by post. Bear in mind that postal applications are taking around 3 months to process at present and you will be unable to work legally until you have been granted the spouse visa...FLR(M).
If you apply for a fiancee visa you will have 6 months in which to marry and apply for your Further Leave spouse visa.
Have a look at form VAF4a on: www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk and you will see what documents you need to submit.

ok am slightly confused, with the spouse visa will you be able to work? or do you still need to apply for an additional form? what is a FLR(M)? isnt that the form that is needed AFTER the 27months have passed after getting the VAF4A?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks so much for replying guys! So what I'm getting is... I could apply for a fiance visa, go get married in the UK, then apply for a spouse visa after I'm already living there and wait til it gets approved before I could work? And this would cost me ~1250 quid
Yes, or get married in the US, then apply for the spouse visa in the US, and then as soon as you get to the UK you will be able to work.

Fee in US for spouse visa? Exactly the same fee as for the fiancee visa? It fluctuates, depending upon exchange rates, but I think is currently US$995. And if you do go the US marriage route, you have cut out the UK fee mentioned by Casa.
ok am slightly confused, with the spouse visa will you be able to work? or do you still need to apply for an additional form?
With a spouse visa you are able to work in the UK ... no additional form required. However if someone comes to the UK on a fiance(e) visa, they are not allowed to work, not until after the marriage and following successful application on form FLR(M) for a spouse visa.
John

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:34 pm

Advice given by Casa is correct. You have two choices

1 Spouse visa - get married in USA and apply from there. Could take 3 months- Your boyfriend need to show he can support and accomadate you without recourse to public funds - Cost £585 - visa granted - you arrive in UK and can start work immediately - After 2 yrs of stay apply for indefiniate leave to remain (ILR - £820) Total cost £1405

2 Fiancee- apply for visa in US -(cost £585) visa granted for 6 months initially - have to get married within this period here in UK- Not allowed to work during this period. After 6 months and having got married - apply for FLR ( Further leave to remain a spouse) - (cost £445) and after completing 2 yrs apply for ILR (£820) - Total Cost £1850

Therefore applying for spouse visa works out cheaper,however this is ofset by the fact that your boyfriend has to spend £400+ to fly to US to get married there.

In th end it works out about same, therefore it boils down to your choice of where you want to get married

Things to remember :
You both have to be over 21
Your boyfriend need to provide evidence of his employment, saving and accomofdation for both.

Hope this helps

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:32 am

Spouse visa - get married in USA and apply from there. Could take 3 months
Two points to make :-
  • The same "3 months" applies to fiancee visa applications, except for both ....
  • If you use an expeditor the time will be cut significantly, to about a week.
John

53Kalypso
Newly Registered

Post by 53Kalypso » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Thank you all so much for your help!

andyb123

Post by andyb123 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:53 am

John wrote:
Spouse visa - get married in USA and apply from there. Could take 3 months
Two points to make :-
  • The same "3 months" applies to fiancee visa applications, except for both ....
  • If you use an expeditor the time will be cut significantly, to about a week.

We've just recieved back our fiance visa in 3 weeks, without using an expiditor.
You just need to make sure all your paperwork is spot on.