ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Citizenship Bill & Spouse Visa issued in Oct 2009

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AfnanKhan
Newly Registered

New Citizenship Bill & Spouse Visa issued in Oct 2009

Post by AfnanKhan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi

I am new to this forum and have little experience of using them. I find it very difficult to follow government websites in these matters and wondered if someone could help me with a basic road map of the steps required to go from a settlement visa through to citizenship.

The situation is this.

My wife joined me on 01 November 2009.She obtained settlement visa on 15th October 2009, I'm not sure if that's the exact terminology but her visa states "No recourse to public funds".

I'm confused if she can apply for ILR on 15/10/2011 or she will be subject to New Citizenship Bill frankly I find it difficult to get my head round the Government websites. I also find it difficult to keep up with the recent changes, and proposed changes in legislation. I feel if I had a sort of general sequence of events to work to, I would be better positioned.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards

Afnan

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Hello,

I believe the new bill starts in July 2011 so your wife would probably fall under it's new rules which there isn't too much information on about right now unfortunatly.

AfnanKhan
Newly Registered

Thank you

Post by AfnanKhan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi

Thank you for the reply.

The new citizenship bill is so confusing.

Is there any difference between the current ILR and probationary citizenship?

Please Can some one explain what has changed actually?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:56 pm

I don't think there are many concrete things written on the probationary citizenship but I have heard rumors that it may take 5 years now to get citizenship in total after applying as a spouse unless the non english spouse does volunteer work and such which can bring it back down to one extra year after the first 2 years on the spousal visa.

You should still be collecting evidence that you and your wife live together and things that you would need for ILR as I haven't seen any guidance on this new bill (someone correct me if I'm wrong please, as I'd love to see something on this topic myself).