ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for Spouse

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

IMBerocca
Newly Registered

Naturalisation for Spouse

Post by IMBerocca » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi,

I'm was on HSMP for 4years and received ILR few months back. My wife joined me after 2 years I entered UK and received the ILR with me.

I have a question on Naturalisation for my wife.

As of the rule, my wife will not be able to apply for naturalisation with me as she wouldn't complete 5 years.

But once I get naturalised, will she be able to apply for Naturalisation as wife of British Citizen (after I'm naturalised) as she would have completed the 3 yrs requirement and 1 yr on ILR.

I was talking to an immigration consultant and he told me that since my wife was a HSMP dependent and not on Spouse Visa, she will not be eligible for 3yrs naturalisation process. Is that correct ?

Many thanks in advance.

vinny

Re: Naturalisation for Spouse

Post by vinny » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:23 am

IMBerocca wrote:But once I get naturalised, will she be able to apply for Naturalisation as wife of British Citizen (after I'm naturalised) as she would have completed the 3 yrs requirement and 1 yr on ILR.
Correct.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

IMBerocca
Newly Registered

Post by IMBerocca » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Mnay Thanks Vinny, On UKBA site it doesn't mention that spouse has to be on a specific Visa, all it requires is that one should meet the residential requirement.

sudhakar_ks
Newly Registered

Post by sudhakar_ks » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:01 pm

Thats correct. It doesn't matter what type of Visa spouse has got. All it matters is that Spouse has been resident in UK for last 3 years at the time of application for Naturalisation.
IMBerocca wrote:Mnay Thanks Vinny, On UKBA site it doesn't mention that spouse has to be on a specific Visa, all it requires is that one should meet the residential requirement.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:27 am

sudhakar_ks wrote:Thats correct. It doesn't matter what type of Visa spouse has got. All it matters is that Spouse has been resident in UK for last 3 years at the time of application for Naturalisation.
IMBerocca wrote:Mnay Thanks Vinny, On UKBA site it doesn't mention that spouse has to be on a specific Visa, all it requires is that one should meet the residential requirement.
Spouse must also have ILR, or equivalent, on date of application.

imb-victor
Newly Registered

Post by imb-victor » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:27 pm

Also ILR doesn't need to be for 1 year ( 12 months ) unlike the requirement of other category naturalization process.