ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

punjabi boy

Re: OCI-File Numer-Progress+Time frame..

Post by punjabi boy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:15 pm

alampal wrote:Can somone who has made an application recently share the timeframe in which you are given a File Number and how they give / communicate it to you?

The phones are non reachable.

I sent in my application by post and seomhow i managed to get a reply which says..
''Please note that it takes 4 to 5 weeks to acknowledge a postal OCI application. It is part of the total processing time of 8 to 12 weeks.
Your application is being processed and you can see the progress at each stage through online status enquiry.''

I thought you need a File(Acknowledgement ) number to see the progress at this site..https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp :x
If you posted then it will be a long wait to get the application acknowledged-some 3-4 weeks. If handed in by person it is acknowlegded there and then and you get a FILE number

msbabu
Newly Registered

Re: OCI-File Numer-Progress+Time frame..

Post by msbabu » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:56 am

alampal wrote:Can somone who has made an application recently share the timeframe in which you are given a File Number and how they give / communicate it to you?

The phones are non reachable.

I sent in my application by post and seomhow i managed to get a reply which says..
''Please note that it takes 4 to 5 weeks to acknowledge a postal OCI application. It is part of the total processing time of 8 to 12 weeks.
Your application is being processed and you can see the progress at each stage through online status enquiry.''

I thought you need a File(Acknowledgement ) number to see the progress at this site..https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp :x
Hi
Have you applied for SC? Did you make an app for OCI based on SC?
Normally it takes about 3-6 weeks for acknowledgement by post, i got mine after 7 weeks. it was an extreme case as hci was waiting for me to apply for sc, once applied they moved it to under process stage after 7 weeks. I believe their is a lot of waiting time due to number of apps, so you should be fine :-)

SidB

IS BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND SCHOOL LEAVING CERT REQUIRED?

Post by SidB » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:50 am

Hi,

Does anyone if the following requirements apply given that I have a surrender certificate:

Birth certificate from Indian Municipality or from Panchayat and full version birth certificate from Registrar of Births/Local Borough in case born in UK. For any other foreign-born applicant birth certificate must be in full version and it has to be translated in Hindi/English by Reputed and Registered translation authority.

School leaving certificate, at least Secondary School onwards from required Board.

Shouldn't the surrender certificate be enough to prove this?

SidB

Re: IS BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND SCHOOL LEAVING CERT REQUIRED?

Post by SidB » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:35 pm

Does anyone if the following requirements apply given that I have a surrender certificate:

Birth certificate from Indian Municipality or from Panchayat and full version birth certificate from Registrar of Births/Local Borough in case born in UK. For any other foreign-born applicant birth certificate must be in full version and it has to be translated in Hindi/English by Reputed and Registered translation authority.

School leaving certificate, at least Secondary School onwards from required Board.

Also, can you confirm what photo size to use:
The hcilondon site says: Two photographs (35mm X 35mm) should be pasted at the place provided on the application and two additional photographs must be attached in small envelope separately. Photographs should be of light colour background (not white) with front pose, both shoulders and both ears visible.

whilst the pdf guidance on http://passport.nic.in/oci/Photo-Spec-FINAL.pdf says 2inch by 2inch. Can someone please advise?

SidB

Post by SidB » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:32 pm

All - Any suggestions on the photo size??
SidB wrote:Does anyone if the following requirements apply given that I have a surrender certificate:

Also, can you confirm what photo size to use:
The hcilondon site says: Two photographs (35mm X 35mm) should be pasted at the place provided on the application and two additional photographs must be attached in small envelope separately. Photographs should be of light colour background (not white) with front pose, both shoulders and both ears visible.

whilst the pdf guidance on http://passport.nic.in/oci/Photo-Spec-FINAL.pdf says 2inch by 2inch. Can someone please advise?

msbabu
Newly Registered

Post by msbabu » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:45 am

[quote="SidB"]All - Any suggestions on the photo size??

Hi

There definitely is discrepancy in information on hci website which is not unusual, but i applied 3.5 * 3.5. This is an unusual size not all the photo machines give you this, you either need to go to a studio for that size or go to http://www.epassportphoto.com/ to get that size, but its definitely 3.5 *3.5

Cheers

punjabi boy

Post by punjabi boy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:02 am

msbabu wrote:
SidB wrote:All - Any suggestions on the photo size??

Hi

There definitely is discrepancy in information on hci website which is not unusual, but i applied 3.5 * 3.5. This is an unusual size not all the photo machines give you this, you either need to go to a studio for that size or go to http://www.epassportphoto.com/ to get that size, but its definitely 3.5 *3.5

Cheers
on my visit to hand in application few weeks back officer at the OCI desk told me - and i quote - "it is of no importance what size the picture is as they are scanned and resized" . This puzzled me as i had heard some stories where some application were rejected on the basis of the pictures. Anyway i handed in 35mm x 45mm pictures and all my aplication approved granted ready for collection in just over 2 weeks. I handed in application 29th October 2009 and 18 November (yesterday) I collected my OCI. "
2 and half weeks turnaround not too bad.

Date Of Acknowledgment 29-OCT-2009
Application Status
Registration Status Granted On 12-NOV-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On 10-NOV-2009
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 13-NOV-2009
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 13-NOV-2009
Documents Received at LONDON On 16-NOV-2009

KUMARVK

HCI LONDON

Post by KUMARVK » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Can someone who visted HCI LONDON office for SC/OCI share your experiance like
- best time to be in Q for tickect
- is it separte ticket for each family meber while applying for a family
- office opening time
- waiting time inside

SidB

Post by SidB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree there is inconsistency every where because some have submitted 35*35, you submitted 35*45 (standard passport size) and I got a reply from NIC that it should be 51*51.

I think I'll go with 51*51 and attach the email from NIC in case they consider rejecting.
punjabi boy wrote:
msbabu wrote:

Hi

Cheers
on my visit to hand in application few weeks back officer at the OCI desk told me - and i quote - "it is of no importance what size the picture is as they are scanned and resized" . This puzzled me as i had heard some stories where some application were rejected on the basis of the pictures. Anyway i handed in 35mm x 45mm pictures and all my aplication approved granted ready for collection in just over 2 weeks. I handed in application 29th October 2009 and 18 November (yesterday) I collected my OCI. "

Application Status

punjabi boy

Re: HCI LONDON

Post by punjabi boy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:42 pm

KUMARVK wrote:Can someone who visted HCI LONDON office for SC/OCI share your experiance like
- best time to be in Q for tickect
- is it separte ticket for each family meber while applying for a family
- office opening time
- waiting time inside
Get in Q for 7am. ticket counter opens 0830. You will then get seen around 1030-1130 am

MAke sure you wrap up with hats, scarfs and gloves. Oh and dont forget the umbrella should it start raining.

punjabi boy

Post by punjabi boy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:25 pm

SidB wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree there is inconsistency every where because some have submitted 35*35, you submitted 35*45 (standard passport size) and I got a reply from NIC that it should be 51*51.

I think I'll go with 51*51 and attach the email from NIC in case they consider rejecting.
punjabi boy wrote:
msbabu wrote:

Hi

Cheers

Application Status
Depends who u get on the day. I have heard some ppl waiting 3 months for OCI and mine done in 2 weeks

indianadr
United Kingdom

CGI Birmingham

Post by indianadr » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:00 am

Hi,

Anybody got surrender certificate from CGI Birmingham?. If so, how much time did it take?

Today, I am going to CGI and will update you the outcome.

Thanks
Mallik

indianadr
United Kingdom

Re: CGI Birmingham

Post by indianadr » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:00 pm

indianadr wrote:Hi,

Anybody got surrender certificate from CGI Birmingham?. If so, how much time did it take?

Thanks
Mallik
Update:

Just came back from CGI Birmingham.

Reached around 10am and stood in the queue for ticket. Got ticket around 11am and wait for number to be called.

Around 11:30am number called, submitted docs/expired & current Indian Passports. Paid fees (£90 per application).

He gave a receipt and said they will post it on 4th Dec.

Things to submit:
1. photocopies of your current & expired Indian passport, if any.
2. photocopy of your British Passport
3. photocopy of your naturalisation certificate
4. Self-addressed stamped envolope
5. Completed Surrender Certificate application (you can download a Word document from CGI Edinburgh and change it to CGI Birmingham. Other wise you can get the form when you are getting your token)
6. Of course, £90 (I paid cash).

Any questions about thi, please let me know.

Thanks
Mallik

sidster007

Post by sidster007 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi Mallik,

Thanks a lot for your post. Very useful to know as I will be applying for my SC next week in London. If possible, could you please send me the link from where you downloaded the SC application form. The only one I know off is on the HCI London website -http://www.hcilondon.in/applicationform.pdf

Also could you please confirm which parts of the Indian passport you photocopied while submitting your SC application.

Many thanks in advance

Sid
indianadr wrote:

Thanks
Mallik
Update:

Reached around 10am and stood in the queue for ticket. Got ticket around 11am and wait for number to be called.

Around 11:30am number called, submitted docs/expired & current Indian Passports. Paid fees (£90 per application).

Things to submit:
5. Completed Surrender Certificate application (you can download a Word document from CGI Edinburgh and change it to CGI Birmingham. Other wise you can get the form when you are getting your token)

Thanks
Mallik

indianadr
United Kingdom

Post by indianadr » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:14 pm

sidster007 wrote:Hi Mallik,

Thanks a lot for your post. Very useful to know as I will be applying for my SC next week in London. If possible, could you please send me the link from where you downloaded the SC application form. The only one I know off is on the HCI London website -http://www.hcilondon.in/applicationform.pdf

Also could you please confirm which parts of the Indian passport you photocopied while submitting your SC application.

Many thanks in advance

Sid
indianadr wrote:

Thanks
Mallik
Update:

Things to submit:

Thanks
Mallik
Hi Sid,
If you are going to HCI London the link you metioned is correct. CGI Birmingham doesnot have the form available on their website. So I have to modify using the procedure mentioned above.

To be on safe side, I have copied all the pages that have stamp (excluding empty pages). But the consulate person took only pages that are required (ie., First page, second page and last page)

Hope this helps

Mallik

sudhakar_ks
Newly Registered

Post by sudhakar_ks » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:04 pm

Here is link to application for SC - http://hcilondon.in/notice.php

Hope that helps. I'm sending the application myself too thru post and I'm sending the photo copies of all the pages from passport minus the blank pages.

indianadr wrote: Thanks a lot for your post. Very useful to know as I will be applying for my SC next week in London. If possible, could you please send me the link from where you downloaded the SC application form. The only one I know off is on the HCI London website

sidster007

Post by sidster007 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks Mallik and Sudhakar. Hope you get your SC soon.

peejay

Indian visa timescale by post

Post by peejay » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi all, has anybody recently applied for Indian visa by post. How long it takes generally.

I applied for OCI but they have just acknowledged it after weeks so dont think I will get that back in time for my visit to India.

Please let me know anybody who had applied for visa recently....

punjabi boy

Re: Indian visa timescale by post

Post by punjabi boy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:57 pm

peejay wrote:Hi all, has anybody recently applied for Indian visa by post. How long it takes generally.

I applied for OCI but they have just acknowledged it after weeks so dont think I will get that back in time for my visit to India.

Dont know about visa but OCIs are taking about 2 weeks. Mine was done in around 16 days and my buddy's was done in 12 days from applying at HCI London

peejay

Post by peejay » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:40 pm

punjabi boy wrote:
peejay wrote:Hi all, has anybody recently applied for Indian visa by post. How long it takes generally.

Dont know about visa but OCIs are taking about 2 weeks. Mine was done in around 16 days and my buddy's was done in 12 days from applying at HCI London
thanks punjabi boy...i applied by post ant they just acknowledged on 20 nov...do u think it will same afteer?

punjabi boy

Post by punjabi boy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:39 pm

if they ack on 20nov then i think within 2-3 weeks it should be done. Should have handed in person as they ack there and then and it saves weeks waiting time

sudhakar_ks
Newly Registered

Post by sudhakar_ks » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:36 pm

thanks punjabi boy...i applied by post ant they just acknowledged on 20 nov...do u think it will same afteer?
Hi I will need to send my OCI application thru post as well, however I can't seem to figure the exact address to send post to (specifically who to address to). If someone has done it and know it works ;-) could I have the correct address please ?

Thanks

peejay

Post by peejay » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:42 pm

sudhakar_ks wrote:
Hi I will need to send my OCI application thru post as well, however I can't seem to figure the exact address to send post to (specifically who to address to). If someone has done it and know it works ;-) could I have the correct address please ?

Thanks
I just sent it to HCI London address and wrote OCI section on top...it seem to have reached them!!

sudhakar_ks
Newly Registered

Post by sudhakar_ks » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:02 pm

Thank you Sir

Unwanted
Newly Registered

Post by Unwanted » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:52 pm

My experience today:

- Normal PhotoMe photos were fine (well, at the least they didn't question them)

- Avoid taking a laptop! You aren't allowed to go in with one and there is no storage facility. I had to take the risk and leave it at a nearby newsagent who charged me £3.

- Got there just before 9. Was seen at 11.45. My application was straightforward and me total time at the counter was 5 minutes. I can't say the same for many people before me; quite a few turned up with missing / incomplete documents and subsequently spent quite a lot of time either arguing with the person behind the counter or asking questions. If your application is straightforward then its worth turning up early to avoid getting stuck. I applied on the basis of my grandparents cancellled indian passport.

- The embassy seemed to be a free for all particularly at the lost / stolen / expired passports counter.