ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No Letters With Both Names

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

happyratty
Newly Registered

No Letters With Both Names

Post by happyratty » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:05 pm

I have been in a relationship with my husband for coming up on 6 years. We have been married for that allotted 2 years(nearly) in The UK. He is British. I am American. I am on a Marriage Visa. I am currently trying to get everything together for my application for ILR. However I am worried about denial on a couple of points and was wanting advice or reassurance.

- We have done our finances in a funny way (well not funny for us) But instead of having a joint bank account we both have our own. I pay the phone bill and my husband pays all other bills (including food) and I then give him what we have financed as half the amount spent each month via a deposit in his account. I am afraid this looks dodgy as if we are a marriage of convenience. In hindsight I suppose we should have gotten a joint bank account. Does anyone know if this will count against me?

-Secondly stemming from this issue is that we have no bills with both our names on them. I know it says "if you do not have ENOUGH bills with both you names" But if we have none what can I do to supplement?

So basically I am panicking because I really cannot afford to pay again if I get denied on a lack of evidence charge. What else should I do for proof?

Thank you for your help,
Lilly (:

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:53 am

Submit at least double the required amount of documents in single names.
What about Council Tax, is that in single name?
The separate bank accounts shouldn't matter.
Have you passed the Life in the UK test?

happyratty
Newly Registered

not yet...

Post by happyratty » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Unfortunatly council tax is just in his name because I moved here on a fiances visa I couldnt work so was listed on the tenancy agreement as an occupant and thus my husband just pays council tax in his name.

Do you think not having ANY jointly named letters will hurt my application?

I am taking the Life in the UK test 1 week today, but am fairly confident I have studied enough... :?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:53 pm

As long as you submit sufficients in single names you shouldn't have a problem. Are you intending to apply in person or by post?

happyratty
Newly Registered

Post by happyratty » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Im going to apply by mail. Is that bad? Do you think that I should apply in person??

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:32 pm

No, I think you're right in sending by post. That way you'll get the opportunity to submit any additional documents if they need them....which they probably won't.
Cheaper too! :wink: