ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My Story till now....

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kumi

My Story till now....

Post by kumi » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:43 am

Yo Alright Mates...

Its been slightly more than a month I have landed in Bristol UK., and things are becoming more normal for me., so, I sat down and wrote a brief (hopefully) writeup about my experiences here.... I am writing this out to answer some individual mails you guys have been sending me personally... hopefully this blanket story answers all your questions at one shot.... so, grab a coffee or beer ... and enjoy it ....

Chapter One: The Start...

Well., it all started when I first visited immigrationboards after being redirected from some search sites., I was looking for sites that offered me services to Australia. I did spend the next 15 days reading all the previous posts and that was when i decided that i will have a go at UK too., australia was still my primary option. Being from IT background, I decided to go for the major band namely Graduate Degree, Work Experience and Income points. I got a equivalency certificate from UK NARIC(15 days max...it took 1 month for me due to postal delay)..i had called them up and requested for a second certificate as i could not get the one they sent earlier... the first one reached me one month after I got my HSMP approval., wonder where it was all the time....., postal dept mein derr hain ... andher nahin.., anyways.. after that... I dug up my huge pile of certificates and credentials and got my campus recruitment
papers, and other work experiences for each company i worked for and got a one year statement from Citibank. I browsed through the net for job opportunities and added their printouts along with salary levels. I dispatched the whole bunch in the first week of june. I could not get a strong employer's letter from my current company with out damaging my current employment terms., so, i just sent a plain letter stating i worked there ... to justity my claim for graduate level experience, i was lucky to find a letter from my first company (campus recruitment) where they had mentioned that a successful completion of graduation was necessary for my joining formalities with them. I dont know if I could convince them with that or the fact that my previous companies were big names like Wipro..etc... that did the trick for me.... well., something worked out there in my favour... Anyways... the package was out and I started compiling another bunch of applications for my Australian gig...

Chapter Two: The ecstasy...

I logged into my credit card account regularly... the package was received on 7th June and the card got charged on 8th June... then, i waited to receive my reference number and confirmation of the receipt. I never got it ., even after one week. Then, I sent them a mail requesting for the same. I got a reply giving my reference number and the status that my application was in the queue for a case worker. Then the sad and horrible 7/7 happend., then., suddenly the news of successes on immigrationboards seem to have reduced., probably i was just being paranoid... and after that nothing much happend, i had compiled my
initial application and sent it out to ACS., Australian computer society.., IT
guys have to get approval from them to apply for immigration., something like NARIC., but, ACS will suggest you a code that you can apply for immigration directly. Then 23rd July came,. it was lazy saturday morning and the whole family was just lazing in front of the TV... then the mailman arrived with a A4 sized brown package.. with UK postal stamp on it.. my father called me out to recieve it... I knew something has happend already and i dont know.., there was no confirmaton that decision has been taken ., i believe some guys had got a confirmation mail that package has already been sent out..., it was just out of the blue... very sudden for me... i beieve it was for the good.., coz, it was
just two minutes from the time I got my package till i read the letter, those two minutes were the longest ever., i wonder how guys who have already been informed about decisions spend their time till they get the package... anyway..,. I ran into soltitude and read the letter and i could not believe it. I went out and hugged everybody frantically., and they still dont know why i was doing that... my approval date as on the approval letter was 11th july., 4 days after the 7/7 incident... that was like the first whiff of how normal this country can become after a shocking incident.

Chapter Three: Its not the end...

The happiness of the approval was very much shortlived., as it had many strings attached which when pulled., pulls out huge boulders of uncertainities. I had never known anyone in UK., not even a distant friend.. i dint have any idea of how to get a job.. The whole australian thing took the back seat... as i had read grievances from other members about their rejections ..,i realized, how coveted HSMP was.. suddenly i was in the elite group of approvals... I read some more postings on immigrationboards., all with reference to jobs and initial stay.., the hotel rates, salary levels to bargain for.., place to stay... then.., i spent real real good time searching for jobs... daily routine would be upto 3 in the night.., changed my resume to mention in big letters that hsmp is approved and ready to travel ... where ever it was asked on jobsites that if I am local resident, i would just say yes, coz, i would be in a month or so... it started to pay off and i took some telephonic interviews. I think anyone with a fair amount of experience would get a decent job over
here. You will not be checked for anything perfect.., they will take you for your word... If the company thinks that you have the required skills they want, they will hire you... otherwise, just wait, someone who works on the same as your skills will get in touch with you soon. Never try to pretend you know something which is not actually your strong point., coz, they will find it out soon and there is this concept of reverse feedback... they will give a feedback to the job agent who fixed up the interview and if its bad, the agent will not take forward your case anymore... have a very good rapport with agents., coz they are the gate keepers... I had given myself 2 months after approval to go in for EC and that i will spend this time to hunt for jobs... well miracles do happen ,. one such company offered me a permanent position in Bristol..,. there were actually quite a few in london and cambridge ... but, they had insisted on a last level of personal interview before hiring me... which was ok with me., but, after this company took me in, I stopped looking... started preparing for my EC.., i used the services of VFS in Bangalore for EC.., For EC, you should
show the proof that you are good economically, get the latest up to date
statements of your bank account for the past 6 months., avoid last minute bulk payments into your account., get a hotel booking confirmation or a letter from friends living in UK.., and job searches., preferrably mails from agents or employers showing interest in your profile. I would suggest married guys to start off alone and then bring the family once you are settled down. In my case, I also attached a copy of the offer letter and requested my HR to send a mail to chennai consulate directly. I heard that the consulate confirmed the receipt of their mail and mentioned that when the visa application is received, it will be dealt with accordingly. My EC application took 3 working days to reach me with the stamped visa. Well., things all fell in line and I was on a lufthansa flight via frankfurt on 12th Oct 2005.

Chapter Four: Aftermath....dream run...
It was around 10:30 local time when I landed in Heathrow., weather was
typical., just rained and about to rain again... not many people were there in the immigration queue.. The IO checked my visa and my HSMP papers and asked me to take up a X ray. I went there, nobody was there to take X ray ., and the lady signed off the xray form and asked me to proceed to take my luggage. Max 5 minutes there. In the melee, they forgot to stamp my passport., i am still holding on to all the flight stubs to prove that i landed on that day. Anyways., I proceeded towards Bristol after that. The very next day I joined my company and slowly getting used to life here. Some of the dos and donts for guys back there, especially from India., you are landing into a dream land where everything you can imagine in your dreams are available, but, for a cost... things are very very costly... if you guys think eating biriyani in Nandhini Delux in Indiranagar is costly enough for you., then beware, you dont even get a loaf of good bread for the same amount here....be well stocked and plan your activities in advance. As much as possible, ask your employers to
find a good place to stay for you atleast for the initial 15 days ., you can
find places to live for 300-400(bristol, costlier in london) or even less based on how far you live from basic amenities like shops, bars/busses. If you dont have friends, try living in a houseshare for the initial days till you can get used to life here. Its a different country., different culture and a totally new life.... learn to smile at others., be polite and greet everyone once you make eye contact... remember, when the tongue is good, the town is good.... everything you need to know about this place is available on the internet... request for a letter from your employers to mention your employment there ., this is required for opening bank account and to find a place to stay.., HSBC or Barclays can do it for you.., i could convince barclays to open an account for me using my employment letter and indian driving license...get lot of clothes, warm clothes especially, its ok to pay extra and get it from there., coz, its really worth it.... anyways... so far, things have been going really great for me.., hope it continues for a long time to come.... its so good that I almost forgot australia.., i did get an approval from ACS.., but, I am yet to apply., probably, I will not... but, who knows....

Thanx for sitting through it... cheers mates !!!

basis

Post by basis » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:42 am

Very long log but I read some part of it. Sounds good for newbies...may be you would want to revise some of it after a few weeks. This sounds very very first impression and thus sounds a common story.

Only thing is much of it does not seem to me immigration related. This should rather be in General - Non-immigration related forum.

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:23 pm

Kumi,

It was a pleasure reading your first hand experience of leaving your cherished home behind and moving to the UK. It certainly reminded me of my experience when I first came to the UK about 10 years ago.

Wish you all the best. Hope the fact that the immigration officer did not stamp your passport on your first entry to the UK does not cause problems later on.

Cheers,

S

vivekR

Life in the UK

Post by vivekR » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:47 pm

Kumi,

I agree with Smit that it was pleasure reading your forum. Of all the mail I read in all these months, for once I could read an intelligent approach mentioned by an educated person.

I have heard people say all kinds of things about the UK. I have never read anyone clarify one simple thing, if you are polite and cordial so are the people. ' Jaisaa Des, waisaa Bhes'. I have been to several West European Countries in the past before I came here to live for short durations, and I have not seen anyone with as much facial tolerance as the Brits.

Infact in my 4 yrs here I have been even treated with disrespect by my own coloured folks, on the basis of their 'European Status'. Most of whom are half as qualified and known half as much of the quality of life we have seen as the higher earning bracket people back home. They think of everyone else who comes here as either a refugee or a prospective help-seeker!! By default before you can say anything!

It is not like I have not faced any beloved at all. I most certainly have. But then lets see the flip side. I have seen that back in our own countries within people of the same nation, Colour ie dark or fair, holds so much importance.

There is good and bad sides to everything, but if one is organised and determined and well-researched, especially with the help of sites like these, a person can do a lot!!

Hats off to your forum my friend.

basis

Re: Life in the UK

Post by basis » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:12 pm

I could not agree more that UK is by far the most all-inclusive and tolerant societ I have experienced. In fact the 7 years that I have spent in UK (including some spells in Europe while maintaining base in UK and frequent travels to EU and non-EU countries) I have to say my experience in the UK has been pleasant to my surprise compared to any other place. Specially for people coming from Indian sub-continents the laws, rules, driving on the left side, the Indian curry culture give more than a homely feeling. My folks and relatives who came to visit during this time never took long to get along with the society.
vivekR wrote:Kumi,

Infact in my 4 yrs here I have been even treated with disrespect by my own coloured folks, on the basis of their 'European Status'. Most of whom are half as qualified and known half as much of the quality of life we have seen as the higher earning bracket people back home. They think of everyone else who comes here as either a refugee or a prospective help-seeker!! By default before you can say anything!
However, this is a bit bitter and generalising statement. My experience with sub-continent diaspora in the UK has been equally good. There are always experiences that make you think otherwise. And experiences differ...........But overall in the seven years I have spent here I have many pleasnt and thankful memories from our brother and sisters who settled here much before us- sometimes even before we were born.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:30 pm

Kumi,

Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the forum, and for taking the time to do so. Very personal, very real and well put together. I am sure this will give some of your other countrymen and women an idea of what to expect if deciding to migrate here, as well as other nationalities too.

Best of luck going forward in the UK, and do come back to update us on how you are settling down.

Rogerio

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:52 am

kumi

Thank you for sharing your experience with all. Wish you all the best and pray you have a wonderful stay in UK.
"Behold, i have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:29 pm

It goes to show if you really want something, and perservere you will get it eventually! Makes very good reading Kumi!

simar

Post by simar » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:58 pm

Dear Kumi,
Nice way of settling down. Great man you get job offer before landing. In my case I could only manage job interviews from india. Luckly I got job offer in 2 weeks time of my landing.
I live in cambridge now. The place is nice I must admit, as of now, I do not face any facial discrimination. In fact people are nice and always smile. Once we have eye contact , smile is a must. That too I noticed.

vivekR,
I do agree with you on some of desi already in UK. They do find it hard to appritae the high end jobs we do & money we earn. For them all indians are just rufugee or eager to run to west for money. I won't blame them. This was the case till 1995s in India. But last 5- 10 , things are moving fast in india. People pay lot of income tax , get lot of cerdit cards . Pay moterage , have high life style just like in west. Perhaps desi's here will undertsood soon.
How but catching british accent of speaking. I just purchase this 25 pounds book by daniel Jones( english pronouncing dictionary). But frankly did not get much chance to look into. Just speak slowly and did capture on how to say RRrrright . -)
Our English accent in india is govrn by the local language we speak. Here the speaking goes in waves. Hopefully given sincere efford, One should capture fully the accent in 6 months time.

On the work side. As I find our company trying to capture market world wide, the work pressure & deadline are just getting like we get used to in india. So so far so good. Only point is some home sickness. Hopefully will get over that thing

simar

kumi

thanx..

Post by kumi » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:53 pm

Smit wrote:Kumi,

It was a pleasure reading your first hand experience of leaving your cherished home behind and moving to the UK. It certainly reminded me of my experience when I first came to the UK about 10 years ago.

Wish you all the best. Hope the fact that the immigration officer did not stamp your passport on your first entry to the UK does not cause problems later on.

Cheers,

S

Thanx all for the compliments folks., to be frank., I am here only after the confidence strewn around my you guys on this wonderful forum.

To update on my status... have bought a car already.... but, no license, and no insurance.... its just sitting in front of our house.... have applied for license and have got a good quote on insurance which I will buy after i get my license., quite a gamble.... but, hope things get sorted out in a week....
As I had mentioned before in one of the post., my HR had taken some signature on lot of forms... which I doubted was for NIN too., somehow., i got this letter from Dept of Works and Pensions, Belfast... stating that I have to submit proof to show that I landed on 12th., and he has specifically mentioned to send me the copy of the stamp.... i can see that slowly this issue is kind of snowballing into a boulder (given the winter and snow around !!! :wink: ) ., i thought I will just be honest and tell him what happened., and will send out my flight stubs as proof... and even the heathrow to paddington express tickets., will update ya all soon..... has anyone had a good or bad experience with this department before ??

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:56 pm

How nice. It is really nice to now that you people are settling well and are having a swell time in UK
"Behold, i have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Re: thanx..

Post by bbdivo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:57 pm

kumi wrote:To update on my status... have bought a car already.... but, no license, and no insurance.... its just sitting in front of our house.... have applied for license and have got a good quote on insurance which I will buy after i get my license., quite a gamble.... but, hope things get sorted out in a week....
I did the same when I got my car! Sat in my garage for 2 weeks (whilst the DVLA dealt with my licence swap) before I could drive it!

kumi

some more...

Post by kumi » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:10 pm

Sent out a mail to jobcenter plus about what happend during the time of entry in Heathrow., he replied saying., thatz ok., and today I got my NIN number !!! Yesterday my provisional license reached me.., I bought the insurance and all set to start driving !!!
I dint even attend the Jobcenter plus interview, I just got my NIN number,. strange !! Also, the number is not in the format which we had discussed in few of the previous posts.., it does not have my DOB ., just some strange mixture of numbers and characters., hope lately they have been coming out like that...

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:23 pm

the number is not in the format which we had discussed in few of the previous posts.., it does not have my DOB ., just some strange mixture of numbers and characters
Kumi, the format of a NINO has always been something like AB 12 34 56 C . That is, two letters followed by six digits followed by one letter (either A, B, C or D).

A NINO has never made reference to the person's date of birth.
John

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:43 am

A NINO has never made reference to the person's date of birth.
John,

When a person starts working for the first time in the UK, and does not have a NINO, then a temporary NINO is alloted to him and that comprises of the DOB. It generally starts with TN followed by the date of birth and then the employee's gender. Once you go through the process of going to the job centre and giving your interview, your NINO is mailed to you, which ofcourse has no reference to the person's date of birth. I guess Kumi has it confused between the two.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:37 am

MWazir, I agree that is the format of a temporary NINO. But a proper one is as described by me and makes no reference to the person's date of birth.

In order to ensure that people's NI contributions do get allocated to their proper account, HMRC will not longer accept a temporary NINO as part of the employer's PAYE end-of-year year. In other words, the temporary use of an invented NINO starting with TN is now is little practical use.
John

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:05 am

But a proper one is as described by me and makes no reference to the person's date of birth.
Does it? Actually there may be some reference. I recently learned from the NI office that NINOs are currently formed for each person when their births are registered in the UK. If you look at your NINO you might find a pair of digits that match your birth year, or the day of the month. I found this for my wife's and my numbers. Interesting trivia!

Joseph

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:49 am

Joseph, that might be a total coincidence??? My NINO bears no resemblance to my DOB.

And of course a NINO is unique and as more than one person is born per day it must be the case that most NINOs do not tie up with their DOB.

One point about NINOs that is worth doing ..... learn it! I learnt mine when it was first allocated all those years ago. I have lost count of the number of times when being able to quote my NINO "off the top of my head" has proved very useful.
John

kumi

yep..

Post by kumi » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:14 am

I do remember reading is somewhere long back when i was preparing my application about DOB coming up in NI number., it just stayed in my mind. I tried digging it out of the old posts,. dint catch it though... Anyways., yeah, that TN number was a temp one which happen to get two contributions of my salary,. My HR assured me that they can put in the new correct NI number and its gonna be cool after that.

Thanx guys....

dabar

Re: thanx..

Post by dabar » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:18 pm

kumi wrote:
To update on my status... have bought a car already.... but, no license, and no insurance.... its just sitting in front of our house.... have applied for license and have got a good quote on insurance which I will buy after i get my license., quite a gamble.... but, hope things get sorted out in a week....
Kumi,
If you hold a valid car driving licence from India, then you can drive on that in UK on your own for the first twelve months, no need to wait for UK provisional licence. You can get insurance on Indian licence and drive.

Then you've got 12 months to pass the UK driving test from the day you arrive here.
Good Luck!

basis

Post by basis » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:32 pm

Markie

Post by Markie » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:11 am

isn't it that getting an insurance cover whilst using a foreign license much more expensive than having a UK license?

Though the best thing is that anyone (i.e. HSMP visa holder) with a valid foreign driver's license can drive a car in the UK! :)

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:37 am

I dint even attend the Jobcenter plus interview, I just got my NIN number
Sounds like the procedures have changed, I was under the impression that all immigrants are interviewed by the SSO, who verifies the eligibility/status/job of the person by this detailed 'face-to-face' interview before issuing the NINO.
And of course a NINO is unique and as more than one person is born per day it must be the case that most NINOs do not tie up with their DOB.
The format is something like AB 12 34 56 C ,where "ABC" & "123456" could be derived by something called 'checksum', where the integrity of the NINO is linked to the DOB and the persons surname/initials by a computer algorithm indirectly.
Or in other words, it becomes extremely difficult for a person to dodge an NINO at a 'point of payment' and get away with the benefits system unless he knows the hidden logic behind it.
But I'm not sure whether the UK has fully implemented this, but yes in future, as Mr Gordon Brown has set aside lots of money for a state of art immigration system. :)

More details could be found here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_i ... ion_number
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum

basis

Post by basis » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:33 am

Markie wrote:isn't it that getting an insurance cover whilst using a foreign license much more expensive than having a UK license?

Though the best thing is that anyone (i.e. HSMP visa holder) with a valid foreign driver's license can drive a car in the UK! :)

In reality it is not true. A british license which is valid since less than two years fetches lot more costlier insurance than a foreign license. You can still show you have been driving for many years though not in the UK and good quotes can be obtained.

basis

Post by basis » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:35 am

vin123 wrote:
I dint even attend the Jobcenter plus interview, I just got my NIN number
Sounds like the procedures have changed, I was under the impression that all immigrants are interviewed by the SSO, who verifies the eligibility/status/job of the person by this detailed 'face-to-face' interview before issuing the NINO.
The format is something like AB 12 34 56 C ,where "ABC" & "123456" could be derived by something called 'checksum', where the integrity of the NINO is linked to the DOB and the persons surname/initials by a computer algorithm indirectly.
Or in other words, it becomes extremely difficult for a person to dodge an NINO at a 'point of payment' and get away with the benefits system unless he knows the hidden logic behind it.
But I'm not sure whether the UK has fully implemented this, but yes in future, as Mr Gordon Brown has set aside lots of money for a state of art immigration system. :)

More details could be found here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_i ... ion_number
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum
Thanks Joseph.