ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should my wife apply for visa before entering UK or after?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nan0man
Newly Registered

Should my wife apply for visa before entering UK or after?

Post by nan0man » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:17 am

I'm a British citizen currently living in the US. We are moving back to the UK in the next couple of months. We were married 2 months ago here in the US. She's a US Citizen.

QUESTION:
Should she enter the UK and then start the process to get permanent residency and work authorization or,...Should she apply while here in the states?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:28 am

Visitors may not switch. She should apply for a spouse visa, subject to the Maintenance & Accommodation (MAA) requirements.
Last edited by vinny on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

nan0man
Newly Registered

Post by nan0man » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:32 am

vinny wrote:Visitors may not switch. She should apply for a spouse visa, subject to the Maintenance & Accommodation (MAA) requirements.
So, just out of interest, what if someone travels to the uk on holiday and ends up getting married to a citizen? They wouldn't be allowed to apply then?

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:37 pm

nan0man wrote:
vinny wrote:Visitors may not switch. She should apply for a spouse visa, subject to the Maintenance & Accommodation (MAA) requirements.
So, just out of interest, what if someone travels to the uk on holiday and ends up getting married to a citizen? They wouldn't be allowed to apply then?
Nope, still have to leave the country to apply.

nan0man
Newly Registered

Post by nan0man » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:30 pm

meats wrote:
nan0man wrote:
Nope, still have to leave the country to apply.
Wow, thats crazy. Ok well I guess we'll be applying for a spouse Visa then.

Thanks all.

nan0man
Newly Registered

Post by nan0man » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:32 pm

New question:

What is the cheapest VISA to get so my wife (of the last 6 months), can come to be with me in the UK.

I saw the spousal visa price of 800 pounds, is there a visitor visa or something she could use to get here? She will also need the ability to work too.

Thanks.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:15 pm

nan0man wrote:New question:

What is the cheapest VISA to get so my wife (of the last 6 months), can come to be with me in the UK.

I saw the spousal visa price of 800 pounds, is there a visitor visa or something she could use to get here? She will also need the ability to work too.

Thanks.
She can't work on a vistors visa and can only stay 6 months out of the year. What do you mean by "get here" do you mean stay permanently or just visit?

nan0man
Newly Registered

Post by nan0man » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:47 pm

boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:
She can't work on a vistors visa and can only stay 6 months out of the year. What do you mean by "get here" do you mean stay permanently or just visit?
I mean, to travel from the US to the UK as my wife and then have the ability to work once she's here.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:10 pm

boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:

I mean, to travel from the US to the UK as my wife and then have the ability to work once she's here.
Whats the purpose of her travel here to the UK?. If she wants to live here as your spouse permanatlty and be able to work here legally then she has to apply for a spouse visa - No other way round....... and yes it will cost you a few hunded quids

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm afraid there is no magical cheap visa that gives her the ability to stay as long as she'd like, and work. I agree with Batley, spousal is the way to go.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:42 pm

The initial spouse settlement visa is currently £585 (equivalent in local currency). Apply on form VAF4a.
You'll need to pay around £1020 in 2 years time for an application in person for a 'permanent visa'...£850 by post))...although the fee could increase by then.
Don't even consider her entering on a visitor visa with the intention of working. The fine for anyone employing a worker without the correct visa
is £10,000 and there are stringent checks.
In the spouse visa application you'll submit evidence of a genuine relationship and will need to prove that you can support yourselves financially without claiming Public Funds and have adequate accommodation on arrival in the UK. You must both be over the age of 21.