ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for my mum to stay to care for my child?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fantasyvn
Newly Registered

Applying for my mum to stay to care for my child?

Post by fantasyvn » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:32 pm

Dear all,

I would appreciate your advice on whether my mother can stay on the grounds that she is needed to care for my child.

I've been working in the UK for 7 years and got my British citizenship. My divorced mother, 55, came to visit me for 6 months since June, and I applied for her to stay with me as an independant. The main reason is our first child was born prematurely this year, only 3 months old now and would need a relative to care for him. My wife and I work full-time. Neither of us can afford to stay home, as that would mean we don't have enough money for our family. Therefore, we need my mother to stay.

The application was turned down as the UKBA is not satisfied that my mum "would be living alone in the most excepional compassionate circumstances and mainly dependent financially and emotionally on relatives in the UK". This was despite the fact that I'm her only child.

In our application, we let them know that my mum has 3 other siblings. But we stated clearly that my mum can't depend on them.

Perhaps a bit naively, we also stated that my mum is in good health, as we didn't want to create the impression that my mum wants to exploit the NHS.

We are thinking of appealing but are not sure if we can succeed.

Do you have any advice?

My sincere thanks,

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:29 am

Unfortunately your mother is too young to get a visa as a parent unless she was living in most exceptional compassionate circumstances which you haven't suggested she is. Also the fact you want to bring her here to work won't help your case - full-time child care is work even if it is done by a relative.

Best advise would be to look into other options rather than waste your time pursuing this one.