ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NI and Housing Benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

VT

NI and Housing Benefit

Post by VT » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:07 pm

I've just printed off a housing benefits application form and it is asking for the NI number of both the applicant and the partner. My partner doesn't have a NI number and it states that without one, they cannot process the application.

I saw that somebody had asked a similar Q the other day and somebody replied telling them that they shouldn't ask for NI number. Does anybody know anything about this?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: NI and Housing Benefit

Post by Wanderer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:13 pm

VT wrote:I've just printed off a housing benefits application form and it is asking for the NI number of both the applicant and the partner. My partner doesn't have a NI number and it states that without one, they cannot process the application.

I saw that somebody had asked a similar Q the other day and somebody replied telling them that they shouldn't ask for NI number. Does anybody know anything about this?
Put TN010160M in format TN for temp number, date of birth DDMMYY then M for Male.

Not allowed anymore for PAYE purposes but HB office wont know.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:37 pm

VT, the law changed last April and it is no longer necessary for your partner to have NI number. The legislation is The Social Security (National Insurance Number Information: Exemption) Regulations 2009.

So VT, if I were you, I would write on the form, where it asks for your partner's NI number, "See attached letter", and in a letter ask them to refer to Regulation 9 of The Social Security (National Insurance Number Information: Exemption) Regulations 2009.
John

rachprocter4

Post by rachprocter4 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:06 pm

John wrote:VT, the law changed last April and it is no longer necessary for your partner to have NI number. The legislation is The Social Security (National Insurance Number Information: Exemption) Regulations 2009.

So VT, if I were you, I would write on the form, where it asks for your partner's NI number, "See attached letter", and in a letter ask them to refer to Regulation 9 of The Social Security (National Insurance Number Information: Exemption) Regulations 2009.
This document was ignored by my council. Housing benefit was canceled and they are claiming I owe them money. Maybe it'll work for you. Give it a try!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:57 pm

rachprocter4, if we are talking about April this year, or later, there is no way that the Council can ignore the law.

I suggest you go to a "surgery" of one of the Councillors in your area, and ask that Councillor to sort this out for you. That is what they are there for.
John

keshgrover
Member of Standing

Post by keshgrover » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:50 pm

John wrote:rachprocter4, if we are talking about April this year, or later, there is no way that the Council can ignore the law.

I suggest you go to a "surgery" of one of the Councillors in your area, and ask that Councillor to sort this out for you. That is what they are there for.
Hi John,

I got another critical situation. Could you kindly have a look at following link please :

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=47843
KESH

VT

Post by VT » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:43 am

rachprocter4 wrote:
John wrote:VT, the law changed last April and it is no longer necessary for your partner to have NI number. The legislation is The Social Security (National Insurance Number Information: Exemption) Regulations 2009.

This document was ignored by my council. Housing benefit was canceled and they are claiming I owe them money. Maybe it'll work for you. Give it a try!
Which county are you in? If you don't mind me asking.

& thank you John. Would you advise me to call the Council now and enquire about it? Just to be sure.

rachprocter4

Post by rachprocter4 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:17 pm

West Sussex. This was May this year. If the issue is raised again by the council I'll do what you suggested. Thanks for your advise.