ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Citizenship and Tax Penalty, PLEASE ADVICE

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rajat_s
Newly Registered

UK Citizenship and Tax Penalty, PLEASE ADVICE

Post by rajat_s » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:30 pm

The HMRC found a mistake in my self assessment form for the last 2 years (I am a PAYE). The mistake was for less than 1% of the tax that I paid in those 2 years and they fined me a penalty of 10% on the tax owed for negligence. I immediately made that payment.

Now I have to apply for my UK Citizenship. Does this impact my application? Please advice.

Thanks

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:48 pm

Can you please provide more information? What was the mistake they found, and how much was the amount ££?

republique
BANNED

Re: UK Citizenship and Tax Penalty, PLEASE ADVICE

Post by republique » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:56 pm

rajat_s wrote:The HMRC found a mistake in my self assessment form for the last 2 years (I am a PAYE). The mistake was for less than 1% of the tax that I paid in those 2 years and they fined me a penalty of 10% on the tax owed for negligence. I immediately made that payment.

Now I have to apply for my UK Citizenship. Does this impact my application? Please advice.

Thanks
Doubt it

rajat_s
Newly Registered

Post by rajat_s » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:01 pm

Jk2007 wrote:Can you please provide more information? What was the mistake they found, and how much was the amount ££?
The mistake was omitting the medical insurance. As you dont need to pay tax on medical insurance where I come from and I have paid tax only twice in the UK so it was omitted both times. The amount was 2000 pounds (< 1% of the tax paid) on which they penalized me 200 pounds for negligence. The penalty was reduced to 0% for disclosure (20% penalty), 0% for cooperation (40% penalty) and 10% for seriousness (40% penalty) so a total of 10% penalty.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:29 pm

The instructions given to UKBA staff considering Naturalisation applications include :-

[quote]Caseworkers would not expect to naturalise persons who have deliberately failed to pay the taxes and contributions for which they are liable, especially where fraud or dishonesty is involved. If there is any doubt, a police interview should be considered (see below). Care should be taken to discriminate between “avoidanceâ€
John

rajat_s
Newly Registered

Post by rajat_s » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:44 pm

[quote="John"]The instructions given to UKBA staff considering Naturalisation applications include :-

[quote]Caseworkers would not expect to naturalise persons who have deliberately failed to pay the taxes and contributions for which they are liable, especially where fraud or dishonesty is involved. If there is any doubt, a police interview should be considered (see below). Care should be taken to discriminate between “avoidanceâ€