ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

handing in an expired indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rogerroger
Member of Standing

handing in an expired indian passport

Post by rogerroger » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:01 am

Hello

My indian passport with a validity of one year(it can be extended for (10-1) 9 more years) is going to expire on the 29th of december. i was hoping that my british passport would have come through and i could hand in my unexpired indian passport and apply for OIC.

iwill there be any problem if i let my indian passport expire and when my british passport comes through, hand in my expired indian passpot and apply for OIC?
Last edited by rogerroger on Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:43 am

The point is moot since whenever you apply for OIC, any Indian passport you may have has to have either expired or be invalid by definition. The OIC requirements simply call for proof that you have held Indian citizenship at some point since 1950 so handing in an expired passport as documentation proving that is perfectly valid.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:50 am

thanks for the info

i was concerned that the high commission would raise issues with the expired passport

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:07 am

Bear in mind that you don't have to have even held an Indian passport to claim OCI as you can do it through your parents or grandparents.

Here are the requirements for documentation :

1. Proof of present citizenship
2. Evidence of self or parents or grand parents,
(a) being eligible to become a citizen of India at the time of
commencement of the Constitution; or
(b) belonging to a territory that became part of India after 15th
August, 1947; or
(c) being citizen of India on or after 26th January, 1950
These could be:
(i) Copy of the passport or
(ii) Copy of the domicile certificate issued by the Competent
authority ;or
(iii) Any other proof .
3. Evidence of relationship as parent/grand parent, if their Indian origin is
claimed as basis for grant of OCI.

As you can there is no requirement that any passport you submit as proof needs to be current etc. As i said, you don't necessarily even have to submit a passport if you have other ways of proving that you meet the requirements.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:30 am

btw the subject line says "handing in an expired british passport", shouldn't it be a "expired indian passport" ?

dabar

Post by dabar » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:24 am

RogerRoger,
My advice to you is to get the Indian passport renewed. As one thing you can't be sure of is how long it's going to take for your Naturalisation approval, the Ceremony to a British passport. What if you have to travel abroad before your naturalisation is successful?

Agree that you'll have to spend a few quids for it, but definitely worth as
1) you will not be stuck without a passport for emergency travels.
2) that will give you peace of mind.

Cheers.

basis

Post by basis » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:59 pm

Roger - You are waiting for British passport or Naturalisation itself. If you have attended the ceremony you should not go near applying for Indian passport - you cant - it is illegal as per Indian law. If you are waiting to get naturalisation approval then it is your choice - you could get the Indian passport renewed as an emergency measure if you need to travel.

It is certainly not needed for OIC (or OCI) or PIO. In fact the PIO requirement says expired Indian passport. Your Indian passport any way is invalid / expired or whatever the moment you take the final step in being a citizen of a country other than India (e.g. In UK attending the citizenhsip ceremony). So there is no question of having a valid or unexpired passport while applying for OIC / PIO.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:02 pm

I keep on seing this tyopic around all the time..

but what is the benefit of maintaining indian Citizenship? :lol:
Where there is a will there is a way.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:33 pm

Chess wrote:I keep on seing this tyopic around all the time..

but what is the benefit of maintaining indian Citizenship? :lol:
I think you'll find that basis explained it very well in his post at 8.36 on 25 July in this topic
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:02 pm

oops i meant indian passport not british passport

i am waiting for naturalisation. i have received the HO acknowledgement but not the approval as yet. i was hoping it would have been done in under a month but does not appear to be so.

i am not travelling in the next 2 months, so i am ok.

i dread the indian high commision, i am from a disturbed area, hence they got to do this enquiry, last time they did the enquiry and it took 3 months and i ended up with a one year passport. i dont want to invest a day and come back empty handed.

i guess if my indian passport expires and i want to renew it, then i have to come up with affidavits. perhaps i should send in a postal application

basis

Post by basis » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:10 pm

rogerroger wrote: i am not travelling in the next 2 months, so i am ok.

i dread the indian high commision, i am from a disturbed area, hence they got to do this enquiry, last time they did the enquiry and it took 3 months and i ended up with a one year passport. i dont want to invest a day and come back empty handed.

i guess if my indian passport expires and i want to renew it, then i have to come up with affidavits. perhaps i should send in a postal application
In that case perhaps it is better you dont apply for new passport - it could take ages and you could be unintentionally committing crime of 'application for Indian passport in progress' for renewal whilst being a UK citizen. 8) 8)

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:39 pm

hehe

i think i will wait for the next 2 weeks and then apply for the indian passport in person. it should be faster that way

i guess if the indian passport takes too long, and the approval for the british naturalisation arrives, i can hold of the ceremony till i get the indian passport, and after the ceremony i can hand in the indian passport.

casa2010
Newly Registered

VERY URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED!

Post by casa2010 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:31 pm

This is my very first post on immigrationboards.com.

Please pass this on to more experienced users or anyone who can give me legal advice or is practicing law in the UK.
My case is quite complicated but I know there is a way out. Let me outline it below:
1. I made an Extension of Stay for my student visa in 2002 to the Home Office and was given legal entitlement to stay until the application was decided in 2003. My Indian passport was supposedly sent out in 2003 but I never received it. I later found out it had been intercepted/stolen.
2. Since then, I did not make an FIR or apply for a duplicate passport.[Many emotional and psychological reasons why I did not take any further actions].
3. I recently went to the High Commission of India in Aldwych and spoke to the First Secretary in person and told him about my situation. He was understanding and told me to apply for a passport straight away.
4. Now here is the issue:
- My passport was issued in Chennai 16 October 1999.
- My passport expired 16 October 2009 (10 years validity).
- I have NO photocopies of this passport and am not able to obtain a copy either.
- I have NO other form of ID, for ex., drivers licence etc.
5. Ho do I go about obtaining an Indian Passport as soon as possible? Since it's expired, do I need to first apply for a duplicate passport and then apply for a new passport? Or do I apply in a straightforward manner for a new passport which automatically discredits the previous one?
6. What documents do I need (considering what I mentioned above of what I do and do not have) and what can I submit to get around this?
If anyone knows of any Agents who are experts in dealing with passport services in the UK or if anyone can give me legal advice regarding this in a step-by-step manner I'd be very appreciative.
I NEED AN URGENT AND DETAILED STEP-BY-STEP REPLY IN ORDER TO KNOW WHAT ACTIONS TO NEED TAKE.

casa2010
Newly Registered

Contact Me

Post by casa2010 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:35 pm

Anyone with MORE in-depth advice/legal guidance or info, please send me an e-mail DIRECTLY to casa_et2006@yahoo.com or PRIVATE MESSAGE me. Thanks.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri May 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Do you have evidence of being an Indian citizen e.g. - birth certificate, school certificate etc. ? Or any form of evidence to prove ties to India (residential proof of your parents - where you used to live)?

To apply for a new passport, you'll require these documentary evidences.

regards