ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR period and eligibility

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sam4you
Newly Registered

ILR period and eligibility

Post by Sam4you » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:57 pm

Dear Friends,

I have a question if any body could offer advice.
I have been in UK on work permit from March 2005 to April 2009. (4yrs)
Because of the rule change from 4 yr to 5 yr I could not apply for ILR then.

I was made redundant at the end of April 2009. after that in couple of months my wife got a Tier 2 sponsorship and I changed to her dependent. and now I am on a Tier 2 dependent Visa.

My question is, would the time on Tier 2 Dependent Visa count towards the 5 yr ILR period. (ie 4 yr on work permit and 1 yr as Tier 2 dependent).
Dont know wheather this is a possibility?please advise

thanks

Sam

joh118

Re: ILR period and eligibility

Post by joh118 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:33 pm

Sam4you wrote:Dear Friends,

I have a question if any body could offer advice.
I have been in UK on work permit from March 2005 to April 2009. (4yrs)
Because of the rule change from 4 yr to 5 yr I could not apply for ILR then.

I was made redundant at the end of April 2009. after that in couple of months my wife got a Tier 2 sponsorship and I changed to her dependent. and now I am on a Tier 2 dependent Visa.

My question is, would the time on Tier 2 Dependent Visa count towards the 5 yr ILR period. (ie 4 yr on work permit and 1 yr as Tier 2 dependent).
Dont know wheather this is a possibility?please advise

thanks

Sam
in short, unless i'm wrong, no, it won't count towards your ILR. Your next chance is when your wife has been on Tier 2 for 5 years, you can also apply for ILR as a dependent. HOWEVER if you change your status again during that time like from tier 2 dependent to tier 2 worker, you will have to then use the 10 year long residence route.

it's just bad luck really!

at least you can still work on your dependant visa.

Sam4you
Newly Registered

Post by Sam4you » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:56 pm

thanks for the reply joh118. It is indeed bad luck. wife has Tier 2 but again her Tier 2 visa (and mine) is vaild only till August 2010. (because she is a trainee doctor so they give 1 year only). have to sort out something again. and I am yet to find a job. It has been more than 7 months out of job. could not be worse.

thanks again

Sam