ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Laminated Indian Marraife Certificate

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

whiskywhisky
Newly Registered

Laminated Indian Marraife Certificate

Post by whiskywhisky » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:53 am

Hi All

I recently acquired British Nationality (passed life in uk and spouse is British).

I was Indian and we married in India, the marraige certificate is in English and is laminated.

I never thought this would be an issue, but looking at the suuporting documents needed for the passport I cannot submit a laminated marraige certificate.

For what looks a little problem, is now a bit of a disaster. We have asked family in India to go to the same marraige "register" office in India, but were told we need to attend. I have left various messages with Indian Embassy (London) without any luck or response.

Anyone got any ideas? anyone had similar problems?

I have looked into delamination, but this looks like is not physically possible.

Thanks

indianadr
United Kingdom

Re: Laminated Indian Marraife Certificate

Post by indianadr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:11 pm

whiskywhisky wrote:Hi All

I recently acquired British Nationality (passed life in uk and spouse is British).

I was Indian and we married in India, the marraige certificate is in English and is laminated.

I never thought this would be an issue, but looking at the suuporting documents needed for the passport I cannot submit a laminated marraige certificate.

For what looks a little problem, is now a bit of a disaster. We have asked family in India to go to the same marraige "register" office in India, but were told we need to attend. I have left various messages with Indian Embassy (London) without any luck or response.

Anyone got any ideas? anyone had similar problems?

I have looked into delamination, but this looks like is not physically possible.

Thanks
Hi

I am sure you need not provide Marriage Certificate when applying for FIRST adult passport.
All you need (in original) your naturalisation certificate, Indian Passport and completed application form (along with photos as per requirement)

You need to submit MC when you are applying for naturalisation only. As I understand, you completed that process.

Refer to this link for details about docs required:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_174100

May be I am missing something here?

Hope this helps
Mallik

BTW: I also have laminated MC :-)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:20 pm

My husband has just recieved his first British Passport. He didn't have to submit our marriage certificate.

whiskywhisky
Newly Registered

Post by whiskywhisky » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks indiandr + casa for your reply.

I feel rather silly now - could have been a big headache for no reason.

I will look into the supporting documents further.

Best Regards

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:27 pm

The best option, if your really need to send marriage certificate is to photocopy it and then notarized it by a qualified notary public. More or less £50.00 fee.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:30 pm

Kind of related.....

I knew a guy that submitted a Laminated marriage certifcate for a Tier 2 application and recived it back approved.

So it's not all bad! :)

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:00 pm

why would a laminated certificate be a problem in any case?

indianadr
United Kingdom

Post by indianadr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:30 pm

boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:why would a laminated certificate be a problem in any case?
Not sure. This is true only when applying for UK Passport.

Home Office mentions clearly NOT to laminate Naturalisation Certificate. They might want to 'feel' the document :-)

They donot accept laminated certificates when you apply for UK Passport.

You know one more thing, during your UK passport process, Passport Office returns your naturalisation certificate FOLDED in a small envolope!!

And Home Office says we should not laminate it and keep it for life !!!

Cheers
Mallik

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:32 pm

indianadr wrote:
boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:why would a laminated certificate be a problem in any case?
Not sure. This is true only when applying for UK Passport.

Home Office mentions clearly NOT to laminate Naturalisation Certificate. They might want to 'feel' the document :-)

They donot accept laminated certificates when you apply for UK Passport.

You know one more thing, during your UK passport process, Passport Office returns your naturalisation certificate FOLDED in a small envolope!!

And Home Office says we should not laminate it and keep it for life !!!

Cheers
Mallik
wow I didn't know that. Sounds pretty ridiculous, so yeah just about right for the home office :lol:

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:36 pm

Supporting documents

IPS needs to see original documents that prove you are British. IPS does not accept photocopies of documents.

IPS normally accepts laminated documents for change of name purposes only, but documents that are laminated for Braille labelling are acceptable for all types of application.

A birth certificate is not considered absolute proof of identity. Even if you were born in the UK, IPS may ask to see further documents.
This is from the excerpt from Immigration and Passport Services website