ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Difficult situation with Student Visa (old rules)

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sorcer
Newly Registered

Difficult situation with Student Visa (old rules)

Post by sorcer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:33 pm

Hello everyone!

My situation is as follows. I got my student visa in September 2008 before HO introduced TIER visas in March 2009. Today I got my results and final classification is 'FAIL' unfortunately (medication circumstances). The visa will expire on 31/12/2009. My university will provide a visa letter for me only in March-April but I need to start studying right now in order to improve my future exams' performance, so I don't want to leave UK for those 3-4 months.

My idea is to find some kind of English course (Cambridge Certificate for example) and to extend my visa for the following 6 months up until June. The problem is then to switch back to University to resit my exams.

Any thoughts about this? Would really appreciate this.

Thanks in advance.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: Difficult situation with Student Visa (old rules)

Post by ElenaW » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Can you not explain to the university staff issuing your letter that your visa expires before March so you need the letter as soon as possible? This all seems like too much headache when all you need is a letter from them. I'm sure if they feel like they're losing an international student, it will light a fire under their mule and make them hurry up with it.

sorcer
Newly Registered

Post by sorcer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:51 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I also thought about this and will try it tomorrow. Hope it will work. Meanwhile I am searching for ALL POSSIBLE solutions.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:10 pm

sorcer wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I also thought about this and will try it tomorrow. Hope it will work. Meanwhile I am searching for ALL POSSIBLE solutions.
Good luck to you. I think your back-up option about the english courses is not such a good idea though. If you've already been attending uni for some time now, it's assumed that your english is to a satisfactory level.

sorcer
Newly Registered

Post by sorcer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:45 pm

University could not provide the letter on the basis that "you are re-sitting or repeating and you are not required to participate in any study activities at the University within 60 days of the start of the academic year".

Any thoughts?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:09 pm

sorcer wrote:University could not provide the letter on the basis that "you are re-sitting or repeating and you are not required to participate in any study activities at the University within 60 days of the start of the academic year".

Any thoughts?
Are your re-sits in August?

sorcer
Newly Registered

Post by sorcer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:45 pm

boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:
sorcer wrote:University could not provide the letter on the basis that "you are re-sitting or repeating and you are not required to participate in any study activities at the University within 60 days of the start of the academic year".

Any thoughts?
Are your re-sits in August?
No, I am resiting in May-June and University won't give a visa letter up until April ;(

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:24 pm

Your university staff are being very difficult. It's understandable that you will not need to take anymore courses but as a student you need books and such to study for your resits, which you can easily get in your library and study from there. It's very difficult to buy all of the textbooks as they can be £60 each. Maybe if you explained this to them? I'm sorry your situation is so frusterating! :(

sorcer
Newly Registered

Post by sorcer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:35 pm

boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:Your university staff are being very difficult. It's understandable that you will not need to take anymore courses but as a student you need books and such to study for your resits, which you can easily get in your library and study from there. It's very difficult to buy all of the textbooks as they can be £60 each. Maybe if you explained this to them? I'm sorry your situation is so frusterating! :(
The trick is that it is not the University's desire but Home Office's. If the student is not enrolled on the full-time study HO prohibits to Universities to grant a visa letter :cry: That is really confusing but HO doesn't care much about it.