ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Submitted my british passport application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:52 am

Joseph, congratulations on the British Passports all safely arriving!

Have you remembered to get all the adults on to the Electoral Register? We now have "rolling registration" so it is possible to register at any time.
John

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:52 pm

Chess
Thanks for your kind words, and for your many helpful contributions to the Board. Yes, I hope to stick around.

John
Yes, absolutely! We registered by post the following day with the council's electoral board. I understand that we will be added to the Voter Register as of January 3. I think this is especially important because we want to apply for a mortgage, and I understand that credit checks are a lot easier to approve if you are on the register.

Joseph

basis

Post by basis » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:46 pm

John wrote:Joseph, congratulations on the British Passports all safely arriving!

Have you remembered to get all the adults on to the Electoral Register? We now have "rolling registration" so it is possible to register at any time.
John / Joseph - What's the process to do that ? What are the benefits and is it mandatory ?
Last edited by basis on Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:53 pm

basis
It's mandatory that you register to vote but not mandatory that you vote. You need to check with your local council and find the Board of Elections.

In your case (you were an Indian citizen?) you should have done this already because you were a Commonwealth citizen, and they were required to register. Did you not get the annual update form delivered to your house around August?

If you are a citizen and you apply for credit and are not registered to vote, you will have problems getting credit approved.

Joseph

basis

Post by basis » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:32 pm

Ta Joseph.

I was in India in August this year on vacation. But I remember the council had sent me a notification for registering on voters list before and I had filled up that.

Do I need to do that at the council where I attened the ceremony or where I currently live. Because I have moved since then.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:40 pm

You need to apply to the local authority where you are living.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:50 pm

Yes, you should register at the new address and let them know where you were previously registered so they can cancel it. There's a box for this on the form.
Joseph

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:00 pm

basis wrote:Ta Joseph.

I was in India in August this year on vacation. But I remember the council had sent me a notification for registering on voters list before and I had filled up that.

Do I need to do that at the council where I attened the ceremony or where I currently live. Because I have moved since then.
Being on the electoral role is quite important as not only does it allow you to vote when necessary. a lot of companies use it as part of their credit checking and background check procedures, makes getting credit etc a little bit easier!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:17 pm

To get yourself on to the Electoral Register go to the Electoral Commission : Your Vote webpage. Then follow the instructions on screen.

The procedure is slightly different if you live in Northern Ireland compared to the rest of the UK. Click on the appropriate link, enter your postcode when asked for that and you will end up getting presented with a form and even told where to post it after completion.

Is it mandatory? Actually yes; but in practice the offence is rarely prosecuted.
John