ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visiting spouse in UK; could I be turned away?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ScottishLace
Newly Registered
United States of America

Visiting spouse in UK; could I be turned away?

Post by ScottishLace » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:28 am

Okay, this is a new one and scares me, as if the whole "immigration maze" isn't nerve-wracking enough.

I am American, married to a Brit for one month (married here in the U.S.), have never been to his home in Northern Ireland. We are planning to apply for spouse visa in a year when we've saved some money and I've had my dogs vetted for the PETS scheme, gotten my grown daughter married off, etc.

I was planning a visit to his home this spring and have now heard quite a few stories, both hearsay and personal experience, about spouses being turned away from a simple visit because the U.K. government is afraid we're going to decide to just stay there and that having a spouse there is a very strong incentive to just disappear into their country.

First of all, I would never jeopardize my entire future to disappear into some other country - that's ridiculous.

At first I ignored these stories, thinking they were just outliers or there was some other reason these spouses/partners were turned away at the border and sent home immediately with their own return ticket, but this just keeps cropping up over and over on every immigration forum I've visited - there must be something to it (and it's all very RECENT, in the past 2-3 years, not old stuff). Even some of the spouses who WEREN'T actually turned away have spent hours in detention rooms being "interviewed." Some are turned away and sent home, some are allowed to stay for 48 hours and then must return to the airport to retrieve their passport and then be sent home, and others are eventually waved through to complete their visit.

It seems the advice on the boards is to just lie and say you're in the U.K. for some other reason (this will be my first time there in over a decade, so it's not like I'd have to explain multiple visits or anything), book a hotel and have the itinerary to show the officials at the border, pretend you're just a regular tourist, etc. The thing is that I don't want to lie about anything, even though just saying I'm a regular tourist wouldn't be a lie - I have never seen Northern Ireland and we have a lot of touristy-type things planned for my visit. But it still seems like a lie of omission and I don't like the feeling that I'm a criminal or have to jump through hoops to prove I'm not "up to something fishy" by visiting my HUSBAND, for crying out loud!

SO, my questions: What can I do to limit the chances of this happening to me when I visit in the spring? I want to just honestly say "I'm here to visit my husband" without feeling like a naughty child, but the thought of being sent home immediately and losing all that money (which would in effect mean we won't be seeing each other at all in the year between getting married and applying for the visa - we do not have money to throw away).

1) Is there something I can do or say or bring to make sure I'm allowed in?

2) I was considering coming in through Dublin since it's often cheaper than through Belfast and then just driving north - would that eliminate the entire problem or make the scrutiny that much worse?

3) Does this really happen in a high percentage of cases or am I just getting a skewed view of this because the people it DOES happen to are understandably very angry and vocal about it on the boards?

I know that no one here is going to suggest I lie - but is saying I'm here to see some sights and visit the UK (which is true) all I should say, leaving out the part about staying with my husband? That feels like a lie, because of course I want to crow to the whole world that I'M HERE TO SEE THE LOVE OF MY LIFE AND I AIN'T GETTIN' ANY YOUNGER HERE FOLKS!!!, but somehow that has "headed west with my head in my hands" written all over it.

HELP! REAL PRACTICAL ADVICE, PLEASE, ON THE CHANCES OF THIS HAPPENING AND WHAT I CAN DO TO MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T, IF ANYTHING. ;)

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:14 am

The chances of you being turned away from a UK airport are pretty slim after you have obtained the visitor visa.

However that is not where i think you are going to have problem. You are going to have problem when you apply for this visa.

In your present circumstances, I think the chances of getting a visitor visa visa are at pretty best slim to impossible in the first place if the ECO picks up on the fact that you only got married a month ago and that your husband is in the UK.

Whilst I accept your intention are not aimed at bending the rules or jumping the queue, but trying to convince the ECO might be a lot more difficult.

If you are going to apply for a visitor visa, then I would at least be honest and say that you want to visit UK to meet your husband, visit some tourist site, maybe to discuss and see whether you will eventually settle there or back in US.

To be sucessful in this you have to show that you have extremely strong ties to come back to the US after spending a month or two in UK.

If you cant show this, then the chances are nil and I wouldn't even bother applying and damaging your chances of getting a spouse visa in the future.

Its a difficult predicament you are in. If I was you I would rather forsake this short visit in the interest of getting a long term spouse visa in the end.

The choice is yours to make

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:12 am

hi batleykhan,

Are you sure she needs to obtain a visa to come to the UK for a visit?

james120
Newly Registered

Post by james120 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:15 am

When you do visit, be sure to have good reasons why you want to go back to the US and don't want to stay here with your husband yet. Try and get documents to prove this (e.g employment, daughter's wedding booking, documentation about your pets etc...). Don't bring any documents which make it look like you want to apply for work here (e.g. resume, exam certicates etc..)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:41 am

Danbrix wrote:hi batleykhan,

Are you sure she needs to obtain a visa to come to the UK for a visit?
Doesn't need one but wise to get one given the chances of being bounced if the IO gets whiff of the OP's marriage and husband in the UK.

Could be construed as deception which would mean no Spouse visa.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:46 pm

Is your husband here in the UK or is he living with you in the USA and planning to travel with you for the visit?