ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parents of British Citizens

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

basis

Parents of British Citizens

Post by basis » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:24 pm

What's the status of parents (Indian citizens) of British Citizens ? Can they get ILR after the person obtains British Citizenship ?

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:28 pm

As far as I know the treatment is the same as the parents of any person 'settled' in the UK i.e no change from the situation where you had ILR. This effectively means you have to show that they are over 65 and alone etc. etc. or some very exceptional circumstances. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:41 pm

Lemess, I think that is "spot on". The granting of British Citizenship to their child assists the parents .. not at all.
John

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: Parents of British Citizens

Post by Chess » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:12 am

basis wrote:What's the status of parents (Indian citizens) of British Citizens ? Can they get ILR after the person obtains British Citizenship ?
If you want your parent(s) to join you on a permanent basis; you must prove that they are over 65 years old and finacially depedant on you without any other relatives back home who can look after them..

It is not easy but it has been done before....
Where there is a will there is a way.