ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa validity

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Schengen visa validity

Post by juliajules1979 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:30 pm

I wish to apply for a schengen visa to visit france. I am the spouse of a British Citizen, and I am living here on a spousal visa. I understand I need to apply at the french embassy. Does anybody know how long visas are issued for? Is it 6 months?

Many Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Schengen visa validity

Post by Wanderer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:48 pm

juliajules1979 wrote:I wish to apply for a schengen visa to visit france. I am the spouse of a British Citizen, and I am living here on a spousal visa. I understand I need to apply at the french embassy. Does anybody know how long visas are issued for? Is it 6 months?

Many Thanks
Three months I think tho u can get lucky and get a two year one. however a first time one is usually for the duration of the booked holiday....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:20 pm

From my experience and that of others, first time schengen visas for non-EEA spouses of EU nationals are normally multi entry for 6 months minimum.

I had a gap of over 10 years outside of the schengen zone and the french (my 1st application to them) issued me a 6-month schengen visa last Oct.

Best to be prepared for any outcome though...

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:57 pm

Plum70 wrote:From my experience and that of others, first time schengen visas for non-EEA spouses of EU nationals are normally multi entry for 6 months minimum.

I had a gap of over 10 years outside of the schengen zone and the french (my 1st application to them) issued me a 6-month schengen visa last Oct.

They do seem to grant a minimum of 6 months, guess it's because they are free they don't want you coming back too often.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:16 am

djb123 wrote:
Plum70 wrote:From my experience and that of others, first time schengen visas for non-EEA spouses of EU nationals are normally multi entry for 6 months minimum.

They do seem to grant a minimum of 6 months, guess it's because they are free they don't want you coming back too often.
My gf only got a three month multi one and that after spending a year on WP in EU!

My friends wife got a three month from French Emabssy but never got stamped in France so was denied the next one. However she applied a Latvian Embassy and got a two year one!

It's pot luck....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:27 am

Wanderer wrote:
djb123 wrote:

My gf only got a three month multi one and that after spending a year on WP in EU!

My friends wife got a three month from French Emabssy but never got stamped in France so was denied the next one. However she applied a Latvian Embassy and got a two year one!

It's pot luck....
Your gf is a bit different as i presume she pays for them. As for your friend's wife, if he is british then that's the only one i've heard of who got less than 6 months, she must have done something to upset them!

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:29 am

Many thanks to you all for your replies. If I got a schengen visa issued from France and went there for a day trip, could I then use the schengen visa (if valid for multi entry and for example 6 months validity) to go for a weeks holiday in say Greece or Spain, at another time, not related to the first trip? They wouldnt say that as I only spent a day in france that I would not be entitled to a week in another schengan country?

Many Thanks.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:37 am

juliajules1979 wrote:Many thanks to you all for your replies. If I got a schengen visa issued from France and went there for a day trip, could I then use the schengen visa (if valid for multi entry and for example 6 months validity) to go for a weeks holiday in say Greece or Spain, at another time, not related to the first trip? They wouldnt say that as I only spent a day in france that I would not be entitled to a week in another schengan country?

Many Thanks.
No problem at all doing that. To save possible problems later if you want to apply again make sure they stamp your passport when you go to france.

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:55 am

Many Thanks.