ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

settlement time-line in UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

farscape80
Newly Registered

settlement time-line in UK

Post by farscape80 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:22 am

Gurus,

I am working towards a tier 1 application and would appreciate your guidance on some time-lines. I agree it's a bit too early to ask this, but i want to understand what it takes before making such an important move.

1. If i understand correctly you need to work for 5 years to apply for settlement /ILR which is residency, and after that you have anywhere between additional 1 -5 years to obtain citizenship through the new probationary citizenship route.
Is this accurate?

2. I understand that new citizenship rules are coming in force on Jan 13, 2010. I would be able to launch a tier 1 application before that , and probably get the visa, but i won't be able to move to UK so soon. I am actually planning sometime near summer.

Do you think it will be helpful to try to get my approval before this date in light of the above before the rules change again?

My apologies if any of these questions are not clear.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:33 am

1) Sounds about right to me. Though your are talking 6-11 years into the future so who knows if the rules are tweaked again.

2) It's only a few minor changes to the rules in Jan 2010. The major new rules (ILR being replaced with probationary citizenship) doesn't come into force until July 2011. It wouldn't make any difference to your apply anyway.

farscape80
Newly Registered

Post by farscape80 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am

thank you djb123. appreciate your response.

Regarding 2, since the ILR rules are being replaced in 2011, would this mean if i start my Tier 1 ( entry to UK) in say June 2010 - i would be able to apply under the current ILR rules in 5 years?

Just would like to know if the HO comes up with rules that are retroactive.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:11 am

farscape80 wrote:thank you djb123. appreciate your response.

Regarding 2, since the ILR rules are being replaced in 2011, would this mean if i start my Tier 1 ( entry to UK) in say June 2010 - i would be able to apply under the current ILR rules in 5 years?

Just would like to know if the HO comes up with rules that are retroactive.
I don't believe so. As the rules have been announced and when they take effect I do not see how you can claim the following.

The government will continue to meet its obligations to migrants who entered the United Kingdom on the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) and had a legitimate expectation that they would be able to apply for and be granted indefinite leave to remain, in accordance with the Immigration Rules that were in place when they applied to the HSMP.

farscape80
Newly Registered

Post by farscape80 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:29 am

Thanks djb123.

I believe you are referring to the following

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... nts-earned

Apologies, if i am mistaken here but isn't HSMP replaced by Tier 1? So may be it covers only old HSMP approvals and not Tier 1's.

Assuming i start tier 1 in say April 2010, means i would complete 5 years by April 2014. So based on the above publication and the new planned changes , i am wondering if i would fall under the new 3 stage system ( stay ->probationary citizenship -> full citizenship?) at the time of my possible application.

Thanks again

farscape80
Newly Registered

Post by farscape80 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:45 am

Just wanted to share this link that explains the new process

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/manag ... l-it-work/

apologies if this is already present in the forum.