ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit/settlement by parents

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

farscape80
Newly Registered

Visit/settlement by parents

Post by farscape80 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:59 am

Hello Gurus,

I am a prospective Tier 1 applicant and would like some advice on experience of visit by parents.

1. When working on Tier 1 is it easy for your parents to visit or stay with you? How long can they stay?

2. When can you apply for ILR for your parents? Is it after you get your own ILR or is it after naturalization.

Thanks in advance

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:53 am

1) How easy depends on your parents circumstances - have they got reasons to return back to their home? The most they will be able to stay is for 6 months in a 12 month period.

2) Unless you have ILR you can't look at getting your parents settlement visas in the UK. Their chances of success depends on several things including their ages, and whether they are dependant on you. But in 5 years time ILR will have been replaced so it's impossible to say what the rules will be then

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

Re: Visit/settlement by parents

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:17 am

farscape80 wrote:Hello Gurus,

I am a prospective Tier 1 applicant and would like some advice on experience of visit by parents.

1. When working on Tier 1 is it easy for your parents to visit or stay with you? How long can they stay?

2. When can you apply for ILR for your parents? Is it after you get your own ILR or is it after naturalization.

Thanks in advance
For the first time its a 6 month multi entry visa. From next time you can try for a 5 years visa.
Third World Traveller

djb123
Member of Standing

Re: Visit/settlement by parents

Post by djb123 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:48 pm

HSMP_maybe wrote:
farscape80 wrote:Hello Gurus,

Thanks in advance
For the first time its a 6 month multi entry visa. From next time you can try for a 5 years visa.
Even if they get a 5 year visa the most they will be able to stay is for 6 months in a 12 month period.

farscape80
Newly Registered

Post by farscape80 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:36 am

thank you djb123, HSMP_maybe.

This answers all my questions. appreciate your time and efforts.

doc_S

Post by doc_S » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:58 am

If your parents get multiple entry visit visa for 2 or 5 years, then they can stay for maximum 6 months at a stretch i.e., 180 days. After 6 months, they have to exit. However, I don't think it is a condition that it has to be 6 months in 12 months period. After six months, they need to exit and then can return and stay for another 6 months max. That is the purpose for long-term multiple entry visa.

Can anyone else confirm. I couldn't find any info on the home office website saying that it has to be max 6 months in a year.

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Section 2.1.9 (p9) in the IDIs may clarify this point: Frequency and duration of visits

doc_S

Post by doc_S » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:03 pm

2.1.9 Frequency and Duration of Visits

There is no restriction on the number of visits a person may make to the United Kingdom nor any requirement that a specified time must elapse between successive visits. The fact that a person has made a series of visits with only brief intervals between them would not, in the absence of any other relevant factors, constitute sufficient ground for refusal.
It is reasonable, however, for the immigration officer to consider the stated purpose of the visit in the light of the length of time that has elapsed since previous visits. A visitor should not, for example, normally spend more than 6 out of any 12 months in this country (but see guidance relating to visitors for private medical treatment).

Occasionally, a business visitor may be required to stay for a period of weeks or even months (for example where machinery is being installed or faults being diagnosed and corrected). The immigration officer should be satisfied, however, that a person's presence here on business for more than 6 out of any 12 months does not mean that he is basing himself here and holding down a specific post which constitutes employment and would therefore require the individual to seek entry under the Points Based System.

==============================================

So the ball is in the immigration officer's court.

I have personally seen people on a long-term visitor's visa, living in UK for 6 months, exiting for only a month or two and then return, living for nxt six months and so on. They had no problems so far at the immigration on arrival back nor did they have problem while appying again for multiple entry long-term visa.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:43 pm

doc_S wrote: So the ball is in the immigration officer's court.
Yes, it's always them , who decides in entry in to UK.

doc_S wrote: I have personally seen people on a long-term visitor's visa, living in UK for 6 months, exiting for only a month or two and then return, living for nxt six months and so on. They had no problems so far at the immigration on arrival back nor did they have problem while appying again for multiple entry long-term visa.
They might have been lucky to allowed in. But, rather than what you seen, it's important , whats written in rule book. Which tells otherwise.
Its a Visitor visa.

Master_Blaster

Post by Master_Blaster » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:59 pm

That is right Gotcha.

I know a case, my friend's mother who was here to look after her new born. She had to go to India at the end of 4 months for a condolence in the family. When she came back after 2 weeks, the officer did question her for about 5 minutes, as to why are you back so soon, when will you leave etc?

So, it is at the discretion of the officer and it is always what is in the rule book that matters.