ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sponsor as a student on student income?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SoHopeful

Sponsor as a student on student income?

Post by SoHopeful » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:18 pm

Would it be possible to sponsor my partner on a spouse visa as a student?
I took a year out and since we decided he should come here i thought about taking two years out to work and support him with the application. But im wondering if i chose to return to uni Sept 2010 rather than Sept 2011 could we still apply for the visa whilst im on student finance as income?

UKBAbble

Re: Sponsor as a student on student income?

Post by UKBAbble » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:14 am

SoHopeful wrote:Would it be possible to sponsor my partner on a spouse visa as a student?
I took a year out and since we decided he should come here i thought about taking two years out to work and support him with the application. But im wondering if i chose to return to uni Sept 2010 rather than Sept 2011 could we still apply for the visa whilst im on student finance as income?
Student "finance" is supposed to supprt one person not two. Or do you have a private income?

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:45 am

I married my wife at the end of my second year of university (2003). When I originally applied for a spouse visa from the consulate in China, I had no tenancy agreement at all I was advised by them to have my father apply as her sponsor instead.

The visa was approved, so there's no problem doing it this way, however I was by then out of the country for a year abroad, so we had to withdraw the application as I didn't meet the 'present and settled' condition. When I finished my year in Japan, the authorities in Tokyo said that I should apply with myself as the sponsor, and again everything ran smoothly.

I think the key question is, can your student finance and accommodation arrangements comfortably cover two people? I would suggest not, and that you might want to consider asking a parent to stand as sponsor.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:56 am

No i dont have a private income.

The money you get as a student all depends on your individual circumstances I get a certain amount being a single parent but there is also funding for students with adult dependants .... they dont make it very clear about what 'non typical' students are entitled to. If you're not straight out of school then its quite an ordeal to make sure entitlements are given in full.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:59 am

stmellon wrote:I married my wife at the end of my second year of university (2003). When I originally applied for a spouse visa from the consulate in China, I had no tenancy agreement at all I was advised by them to have my father apply as her sponsor instead.

The visa was approved, so there's no problem doing it this way, however I was by then out of the country for a year abroad, so we had to withdraw the application as I didn't meet the 'present and settled' condition. When I finished my year in Japan, the authorities in Tokyo said that I should apply with myself as the sponsor, and again everything ran smoothly.

I think the key question is, can your student finance and accommodation arrangements comfortably cover two people? I would suggest not, and that you might want to consider asking a parent to stand as sponsor.
Thanks for your input.

Accommodation is no issue. I rent a 2 bedroom flat from a local housing association. As a parent doing a full time course including a 100 day placement i will not be working.

I have lived independantly for years and have lived away from family altogether the past 4 nearly and my mother receives state benefits so i doubt she is in a position to sponsor.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:43 pm

3rd Party financial support eg from family) would be disallowed. You have to show that you are in a position to support yourselves on your own.
Can you clarify 'as a parent'? Do you have a child to support?

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Yes i know i cannot have support from others in order to apply.

I am a lone parent, 24 my son is 7. I am clear on everything but my initial query.

Can my student income (loans/grants/etc) be considered as it will be my only income apart from child tax credits??

I may be returning as a student but i live alone and have supported myself since the age of 16...

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:02 pm

SoHopeful wrote:
Can my student income (loans/grants/etc) be considered as it will be my only income apart from child tax credits??
No it can't.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks...

More questions...

In the statements that the sponsor and applicant provide what needs to be detailed? (i.e relationship history, intentions once applicant arrives)

Would a letter from my housing officer be sufficient to confirm that the accommodation is suitable and will not be overcrowding once my partner arrives?

Travel Dates
On which date do you wish to travel to the UK?

How do you answer this question when you have no idea how long it will take for the application to be processed?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:39 pm

SoHopeful wrote:Thanks...

More questions...

In the statements that the sponsor and applicant provide what needs to be detailed? (i.e relationship history, intentions once applicant arrives)

Would a letter from my housing officer be sufficient to confirm that the accommodation is suitable and will not be overcrowding once my partner arrives?

Travel Dates
On which date do you wish to travel to the UK?

How do you answer this question when you have no idea how long it will take for the application to be processed?
The travel date should be an approximate date that the applicant wishes to travel on. It's best not to book any flights before you have your visa approved.
I tell it like it is.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Ok so should i give a date going by the processing times given for applications? i.e any time after the 120 days given as a guide for settlement visas submitted to Kingston?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:41 pm

SoHopeful wrote:Ok so should i give a date going by the processing times given for applications? i.e any time after the 120 days given as a guide for settlement visas submitted to Kingston?
Yes any reasonable date. This part is not very important in comparison to the rest of the application. If there are not enough funds for the both of you, your application will get refused regardless of which date you put.
I tell it like it is.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:29 pm

boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:
SoHopeful wrote:Ok so should i give a date going by the processing times given for applications? i.e any time after the 120 days given as a guide for settlement visas submitted to Kingston?
Yes any reasonable date. This part is not very important in comparison to the rest of the application. If there are not enough funds for the both of you, your application will get refused regardless of which date you put.
Is it a freeform field? If so you could go with something like "As soon as possible".

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:56 pm

From what I know the application only allows dates in dd/mm/yyyy format.
I tell it like it is.