ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help! failed to register change of address with the police

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Katerina V
Newly Registered

Help! failed to register change of address with the police

Post by Katerina V » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:35 pm

Hey guys,
I applied for my PSW on the 17th of November and it looks like my application is going to be considered next week. Was just reading through this forum and noticed some threads about the police registration certificate. I didn't include mine in the application as it's my only form of ID here while my passport is with HO and the ukba website doesn't state anything about enclosing your police ID...

Do you think I should send it seperately? Is it really that important? The acknowledgement letter I got from them stated that I shouldn't send any additional documents, unless asked to do so by the case worker...My application is straightforward and all the supporting evidence looks fine but I got a conditional job offer, the condition being I get my visa before Christmas, so I'd be gutted if my application gets delayed because of the police certificate...

Did everyone who successfully obtained that visa enclose their police registration certificate? And does anyone know anything about sending additional documents?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
Last edited by Katerina V on Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:40 pm

U need to enclose it and the form does say - Section 6....

My gf is Russian and included hers - visa took about 9 weeks to arrive over last Christmas.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Katerina V
Newly Registered

Post by Katerina V » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:08 pm

I just got my documents back and a letter saying that my application is invalid because I didn't enclose the certificate...yeah, it's true, the form does say it... But the guidelines didn't state it as a necessary document and it's all a bit confusing :?

I am going to reapply next week and make sure I send it. Will it be a big problem is one of my previous addresses is not on the certificate?Two of them are...I could just not put it on the form but I've already put it on the 1st form, do they make notice of that?

And one last question: the letter says that I'll get refunded what I've paid for the application, does anyone know about the waiting times for a refund?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Katerina V wrote:I just got my documents back and a letter saying that my application is invalid because I didn't enclose the certificate...yeah, it's true, the form does say it... But the guidelines didn't state it as a necessary document and it's all a bit confusing :?

I am going to reapply next week and make sure I send it. Will it be a big problem is one of my previous addresses is not on the certificate?Two of them are...I could just not put it on the form but I've already put it on the 1st form, do they make notice of that?

And one last question: the letter says that I'll get refunded what I've paid for the application, does anyone know about the waiting times for a refund?
It's because not everyone needs to register with the Police I reckon...

U are supposed to tell the Police every time you move so yes, it might be a problem, plus big risk to lie; lying = deception = ban...

WRT refund dunno...

Katerina V
Newly Registered

Post by Katerina V » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:33 pm

yes, lying would probably be a stupid idea...you don''t get any points for regestering with the police but can they refuse you on the basis of one out of three addresses not being on your certificate?provided everything eslse looks fine and all the supporting evidence complies with the guidelines

Katerina V
Newly Registered

Post by Katerina V » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:09 am

has anyone been in a similar situation? can my application be refused if i failed to register a change of address with the police? My record has been up to date for 1 year and 4 months now as I registered my latest address and my new student visa with the police. Will it be better to explain it in a cover letter?Or do you think I shouldn't even bother applying without seeking legal assistance? any advice would be much appreciated!

vinata

Post by vinata » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:02 pm

In general grounds for refusals there is a point that an application could be refused if there was a breach of immigration rules. Not updating your address with the police is a breach of the condition attached to your stay in the UK, and by not fulfilling this requirement, you could be subject to a refusal under the general grouds for refusals. You can refer to those rules to find out more about them.

In order to protect yourself you could include a cover letter with your new application where you clearly explain why you didn't attach your police certificate in the first place and also why the address on it is not up to date. If your statement sounds persuading, the case worker may just ignore your non-compliance. However, it all depends on the case worker. Good luck.

Katerina V
Newly Registered

Post by Katerina V » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:07 pm

thank you very much for your advice!
my current address is up to date, it's my previous address that I failed to register. I am definitely planning to include a detailed cover letter in which I honestly explain what happened but do you think having a solicitor represent me would make any difference? My immigration history is fine - i have never overstayed, the supporting evidence and the funds are in order, too. Overall, apart from the police registration the case is fairly straightforward but I just want to make sure I make the best possible decision - a refusal would be a disaster for me, my whole life is now here!

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:22 pm

WOOP WOOP WOOP, DAS DA SOUND OF DA POLICE.

I think this really will depend on the case worker and how well the evidence is presented. Your only bet is to compile a good case and submit it. Sit back, try not to worry about it and await the results.

I sincerly wish you the best of luck and please keep us updated on the outcome. :D

kolaxy

Post by kolaxy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:46 am

To be honest, I've changed my address like 2-3 times and I've never informed the police.All I do was to do the change of address properly. However, due to the nature of my job, I do CRB checks every now and then and inform my employers about the change of address.

I got my PSW visa in May without informing the Police about change of address. But, Maybe things have changed since then. All the best..

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:53 am

kolaxy wrote:To be honest, I've changed my address like 2-3 times and I've never informed the police.All I do was to do the change of address properly. However, due to the nature of my job, I do CRB checks every now and then and inform my employers about the change of address.

I got my PSW visa in May without informing the Police about change of address. But, Maybe things have changed since then. All the best..
I once flew a plane upside down through a canyon and missed the walls by an inch!

You can probably do the same thing, give it a try! :D

Katerina V
Newly Registered

Post by Katerina V » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:06 pm

kolaxy wrote:To be honest, I've changed my address like 2-3 times and I've never informed the police.All I do was to do the change of address properly. However, due to the nature of my job, I do CRB checks every now and then and inform my employers about the change of address.

well, that's good news! :P did you have to state any of those addresses in the application form in the previos addresses section though? I informed the immigration at the airport about that address when I was filling out a landing card, so I guess, I wasn't hiding from authorities!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:41 pm

Katerina V wrote:

well, that's good news! :P did you have to state any of those addresses in the application form in the previos addresses section though? I informed the immigration at the airport about that address when I was filling out a landing card, so I guess, I wasn't hiding from authorities!
Ty russkaya?

Katerina V
Newly Registered

Post by Katerina V » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:01 am

Wanderer wrote:
Katerina V wrote:

Ty russkaya?
yes, i am indeed :)

erekale
Newly Registered

Post by erekale » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:59 pm

hey Katerina, hope you've been well .. how does the story continue? did you get your visa in the end?

i am having a similar story, having failed to endorse 1 of my 2 addresses in the propiska certificate, so just admitted this and sent a cover letter to UKBA with explanation. fingers crossed now .. hehe