ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

certified copies of passports?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

certified copies of passports?

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:19 pm

I was recently told by somebody who was going to apply for his British Citizenship that soliciters he contacted refused to make certified copies of his passport to send with the application because of, apparently, high instance of fraud.

Anyone else heard of this?
What kind of fraud are they concerned about? That the passport is forged?

I actually suspect he wants to avoid paying the application fee and this is his excuse for delaying his application, but who knows...

djb123
Member of Standing

Re: certified copies of passports?

Post by djb123 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:35 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:I was recently told by somebody who was going to apply for his British Citizenship that soliciters he contacted refused to make certified copies of his passport to send with the application because of, apparently, high instance of fraud.

Anyone else heard of this?
What kind of fraud are they concerned about? That the passport is forged?

I actually suspect he wants to avoid paying the application fee and this is this excuse for delaying his application, but who knows...
No idea. Though why is he getting certified copies in the first place? Either you send your original passports or you use NCS who will make the copies.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:39 pm

djb123 wrote:No idea. Though why is he getting certified copies in the first place? Either you send your original passports or you use NCS who will make the copies.
You can also send a certified (by a soliciter) copy of the passport. They did not advertise that loudly in the past, but it is definitely fine with UKBA. This is quick and easy to get (or so I thought), and does not require the long appointment time and fees of the NCS

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:01 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
djb123 wrote:No idea. Though why is he getting certified copies in the first place? Either you send your original passports or you use NCS who will make the copies.
You can also send a certified (by a soliciter) copy of the passport. They did not advertise that loudly in the past, but it is definitely fine with UKBA. This is quick and easy to get (or so I thought), and does not require the long appointment time and fees of the NCS
They don't seem to advertise it at all now (not anywhere I've seen anyway), must prefer people to use NCS if they don't want to send their originals. Guess they could still ask to see your original passports anyway if you send certified copies not using NCS.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:19 pm

djb123 wrote:Guess they could still ask to see your original passports anyway if you send certified copies not using NCS.
They reserve the right to see the originals even when using NCS
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ngservice/
UKBA wrote:Applying through the Nationality Checking Service (NCS)
... you can keep hold of your documents (like your passport) - we can, however, request the originals if we need them.
UKBA now explictly mention sending certified photocopies of the passport. They used to only tell you if you called their call centre and asked...
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... e/#header3
UKBA wrote:Individual applications
You may apply directly without using the nationality checking service or a representative. You must submit either original documents, or a fully certified photocopy of your documents.

thewallstreetmonkey
Newly Registered

Post by thewallstreetmonkey » Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 am

Does UKBA accept post office certified copies of permanent residence card and my ID when I apply for naturalisation directly?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon May 13, 2013 9:38 am

thewallstreetmonkey wrote:Does UKBA accept post office certified copies of permanent residence card and my ID when I apply for naturalisation directly?
No.