ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When the new Rules for the british citizenship take place ??

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

joelondon
Member of Standing

When the new Rules for the british citizenship take place ??

Post by joelondon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:17 pm

hello there can anyone please inform me about the new rules when they take place ...i have a permanent resident and m willing to apply for my British citizenship on May 2010 ...can you please advice me about it ...

i have been in this country since 2003

5 years on temporary resident
apply for PR on June 2008 / received it on May 2009

and now I'm willing to apply for the citizenship on May 2010

so in total i have been here 7 years before applying for BCshipe

please help as i dont want to get affected by the new rules thank you very much for any help or advice ...hope to hear from you soon

Xox with peace and love [/i]

llNicell

Re: When the new Rules for the british citizenship take plac

Post by llNicell » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:25 pm

joelondon wrote:hello there can anyone please inform me about the new rules when they take place ...i have a permanent resident and m willing to apply for my British citizenship on May 2010 ...can you please advice me about it ...

please help as i dont want to get affected by the new rules thank you very much for any help or advice ...hope to hear from you soon

New rules will be effective from 13th January 2010. However those who have received PR/settlement before 13th January 2010 will be eligible to apply for citizenship until 13th Jan 2012 as per old rules. This is my understanding as per various guidelines published and discussions held in parliament during bill readings

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:36 pm

llNicell wrote:
joelondon wrote:hello there can anyone please inform me about the new rules when they take place ...i have a permanent resident and m willing to apply for my British citizenship on May 2010 ...can you please advice me about it ...

New rules will be effective from 13th January 2010. However those who have received PR/settlement before 13th January 2010 will be eligible to apply for citizenship until 13th Jan 2012 as per old rules. This is my understanding as per various guidelines published and discussions held in parliament during bill readings
Your understanding of the dates is wrong. There are new rules being introduced in Jan 2010, but the main changes with regards to earned citizenship are not being introduced until July 2011. Anyone who receives ILR before July 2011 will have until July 2013 to apply under the old rules.

joelondon
Member of Standing

Post by joelondon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:26 am

djb123 wrote:
llNicell wrote:

Your understanding of the dates is wrong. There are new rules being introduced in Jan 2010, but the main changes with regards to earned citizenship are not being introduced until July 2011. Anyone who receives ILR before July 2011 will have until July 2013 to apply under the old rules.
well then ...who is right ??? where can you read those information ...? can anyone please guide me with a web site thanks ...

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:51 am

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... es-to-law1
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ber/242491

The August article states the new rules that will be implemented in early 2010, and the November article specifies the date of 13th January 2010.

You will also see in the August article it mentions "The 'earned citizenship' provisions, which will amend the requirements for naturalisation, will be commenced in the summer of 2011".