ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation as spouce

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sheila_Blige
Newly Registered

Naturalisation as spouce

Post by Sheila_Blige » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi,

I came from Canada to the UK in October 2005 on a 2 year working holiday visa.

While in the UK I have met and married a UK citizen.

After getting married we moved to Canada together for 8 months while my UK marriage visa was processed.

Leave to Enter was granted and we moved back to the UK in September 2008.

When is the earliest that I will be able to apply for Naturalisation and a British Passport?

Thanks

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:43 pm

because you were out of the UK for 8months, i believe your clock was 'reset' and it started when you entered in Sept 2008, so earliest you will be able to apply is 3 years from then which is September 2011

Sheila_Blige
Newly Registered

Post by Sheila_Blige » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:45 pm

I wondered about that, oh well...
Thanks for the info :)

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:59 am

8 months though is less than 270 days (which is allowed in total), so assuming you don't have any other absences you might be ok to apply straight after you get ILR.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:27 am

@djb123 you could very well be right but in my response I assummed there was a break in visa. the OP came in Oct 2005 on a WH visa which expired in 2 years later in Oct 2007. i am not sure exactly when she left or if she extended this visa but according to her post she obtained on marriage visa obtained sometime in 2008, i assummed this was obtained just before she returned in September 2008.

@Sheila_Blige, Is it possible to provide more detail especially with regards to your timelime eg month and year arrived in UK, ditto returned to Canada, ditto applied for marriage visa and when granted. Also if you extended your visa by any other means as i think is a gap of more than 8 months between expiry of WHV and your return to UK