ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Awaiting trial in US while applying for UK Student Visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lol1975
Newly Registered

Post by lol1975 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi,

My husband called the police 2 days before I was supposed to leave the US to begin a Master's program. He even asked the 911 operator if she could help him stop me from leaving for London. He lied to the police and I am now facing 3 misdemeanor criminal charges. The judge has said I can go to the UK to study. My trial will be set for the summer.

Does anyone have any experience with applying for a student visa while awaiting trial?

Thanks,

joh118

Re: Awaiting trial in US while applying for UK Student Visa

Post by joh118 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:05 pm

lol1975 wrote:Hi,

My husband called the police 2 days before I was supposed to leave the US to begin a Master's program. He even asked the 911 operator if she could help him stop me from leaving for London. He lied to the police and I am now facing 3 misdemeanor criminal charges. The judge has said I can go to the UK to study. My trial will be set for the summer.

Does anyone have any experience with applying for a student visa while awaiting trial?

Thanks,
I am not 100% certain but on the application form they only ask for convictions. So, as this is a charge, you do not need to put it down.

You say it is a misdemeanor charge, is it serious or minor? If the charges are serious and if you are convicted, you may be refused a visa in the interests of the UK.

I presume that you will have to return to the US for your trial in the summer. If you get convicted and you intend to travel back to uk on the visa obtained before your trial, you must inform your nearest consulate/embassy of the conviction.

lol1975
Newly Registered

Post by lol1975 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 pm

Unfortunately, the application does have a separate question for whether there are any pending criminal trials. The 3 charges were harassment in the 3rd degree, criminal tampering and criminal mischief. My husband asked the prosecution to drop the charges but they will not.

joh118

Re: Awaiting trial in US while applying for UK Student Visa

Post by joh118 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:52 pm

lol1975 wrote:Unfortunately, the application does have a separate question for whether there are any pending criminal trials. The 3 charges were harassment in the 3rd degree, criminal tampering and criminal mischief. My husband asked the prosecution to drop the charges but they will not.
hmmmm this is hard.

3rd Degree harassment shouldn't really be a problem but I fear they may think "criminal tampering" and "criminal mischief" as a threat to public and refuse you entry.

Why not just apply now and if they refuse you then just apply again after this has been resolved?