ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Workpermit to Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rajkumarpatel

Switching from Workpermit to Tier 1

Post by rajkumarpatel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi,
I am on workpermit issued in 2007, which is valid till Nov 2012. As per the recent article, HO is closing the route to PR for Tier 2 (ICT), I am not sure whether they will be doing the same for existing WP holders and the Tier 2 (skilled workers). Also the Probatioanry citizenship rules are not applicable to Tier 1 immigrants. At the moment, I am eligible to switch to Tier 1 and can easily do that. As per the MAC endorsement on 4th Dec, they have proposed to grant 2 years visa and 3 year extn to Tier 1 applications as compare to 3 years visa and 2 year extn (this is the current rule). The govt is looking into it and planning to apply the same in early next year.

Please suggest, should I apply for tier 1 now or wait from the context that route to PR might get close for WP holders and new rules will be in place for Tier 1 applications from next year.

regards
Raj

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Switching from Workpermit to Tier 1

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:25 pm

rajkumarpatel wrote:Hi,
I am on workpermit issued in 2007, which is valid till Nov 2012. As per the recent article, HO is closing the route to PR for Tier 2 (ICT), I am not sure whether they will be doing the same for existing WP holders and the Tier 2 (skilled workers). Also the Probatioanry citizenship rules are not applicable to Tier 1 immigrants. At the moment, I am eligible to switch to Tier 1 and can easily do that. As per the MAC endorsement on 4th Dec, they have proposed to grant 2 years visa and 3 year extn to Tier 1 applications as compare to 3 years visa and 2 year extn (this is the current rule). The govt is looking into it and planning to apply the same in early next year.

Please suggest, should I apply for tier 1 now or wait from the context that route to PR might get close for WP holders and new rules will be in place for Tier 1 applications from next year.

regards
Raj
If you can apply now...you can get Tier-1. Logically new rules should apply to people who received approval after rules came in effect. Which gives you chances to be treated under current rules.

narulade

Post by narulade » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:15 pm

my words.. if you think you are eligeble for tier 1 and you will have no problem with extention .. go for it..

rajkumarpatel

Post by rajkumarpatel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for your reply. In this connection, I would also like to know about route to PR. As per the recent bill from BIA, the qualifying period will be increased from 5 yrs to 8 yrs for workpermit holders and Tier 2 holders. Which means that the new bill will not affect people under Tier-1. I am not sure, whether by Jul 2011, this bill will become applicable to Tier-1 category too?
If Tier-1 category is out of the bill, then by switching to Tier-1, I can get the ILR after completing my stay of 5 years (economically active).

regards
Raj