ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applied Today - Made a small mistake in Covering letter

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

risingsun
Newly Registered

Applied Today - Made a small mistake in Covering letter

Post by risingsun » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi,

I applied today for Tier 1 General, and i reliased a mistake I made after applying. It is in the "Previous Earnings" section in the covering letter.

Conversion from My Gross Salary to GBP actually comes to about greater than 34000 GBP.

However, in the salary table end, while totaling and showing the conversion, by mistake I typed in a smaller amount ~33000 GBP (actually it was a typo because of a copy paste error.

(Point taken.. I should have been vigilent and reviewed every minute detail.)

However, after the table ends, I did correctly wrote a line that goes like.... "Hence my gross earnings in last 12 month is 34000 GBP" (this amount is in bold face and is correct as per my gross salary in INR)

So now, the same page on covering letter shows two different amounts..
1. ~33000 <- this is incorrect
2. ~34000 <- this is correct

Also please note that the gross salary in INR is correctly mentioned and there is no mistake there..

Do you think case worker will be ok with this in covering letter or this can lead to any issue ?

k820

Post by k820 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi, I have made a mistake in cover letter and my total earning was ok but
one month payment was a typo mistake and it did not match with bank statement though my payslips were showing the right amount but they refused my application.

so please seniors suggest what he needs to do?

vks

Re: Applied Today - Made a small mistake in Covering letter

Post by vks » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:13 pm

risingsun wrote:Hi,

I applied today for Tier 1 General, and i reliased a mistake I made after applying. It is in the "Previous Earnings" section in the covering letter.

Conversion from My Gross Salary to GBP actually comes to about greater than 34000 GBP.

However, in the salary table end, while totaling and showing the conversion, by mistake I typed in a smaller amount ~33000 GBP (actually it was a typo because of a copy paste error.

However, after the table ends, I did correctly wrote a line that goes like.... "Hence my gross earnings in last 12 month is 34000 GBP" (this amount is in bold face and is correct as per my gross salary in INR)

Also please note that the gross salary in INR is correctly mentioned and there is no mistake there..

Do you think case worker will be ok with this in covering letter or this can lead to any issue ?
Wait until you receive your reference number to post them another letter stating the matter
Regards,
vks

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:33 pm

As advised by vks, send clarification letter to HO after you received acknowledge letter.

But since you have also mentioned 34000 in bold, i think case worker will calculate himself in order to verify which amount is correct i.e.33K or 34K. He will find out the correct amount which is also corroborated by your other documents. I personally feel you should be fine. But do send clarification letter/ Better safe than sorry.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:15 am

You MUST send a clarification letter about that mistake in cover letter. I recall a rejection case in this very forum because of the same mistake.

risingsun
Newly Registered

Post by risingsun » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:43 am

mvent00 wrote:You MUST send a clarification letter about that mistake in cover letter. I recall a rejection case in this very forum because of the same mistake.
Thanks mvent, I will surely send a clarification. Will send it by speed post or a reputed courier that gives me a receipt confirmation slip.
vks wrote:Wait until you receive your reference number to post them another letter stating the matter
I have got a receipt with an application reference number from VFS Pune.(one which we can use for traking status online). Is this the one you are talking about or I will receive any other number ?

(I applied for the first time. Applied from Pune)
chetanojha wrote:But do send clarification letter/ Better safe than sorry.
I have applied from Pune. So should I be sending it to Mumbai Deputy High Commission Address?
(I could not even call them today.. but wil surely call on monday)

Following are the contact details I got...

Mumbai Address:
Naman Chambers,
C/32 G Block Bandra Kurla Complex,
Bandra (East) Mumbai 400 051

Telephone:
(91) (22) 66502222
Consular phone enquiries:
Mon - Thurs: 0800 - 1600
Friday: 0800 - 1300
Tel. : +91 (0)22 6650 2222

1400 Years

Post by 1400 Years » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:07 am

1. don't worry too much. what basically matters is what entry you made in your APPLICATION FORM.

2. but you will still worry much, understood; it would be justified. :-)
solution: send a clarification letter; you are still in time (before they look at the batch with which they received your application.)

3. if this may be of any solace, i recently made a similar mistake: in my excel sheet i had written 33042.1 instead of 33042.01; the latter figure was however, what i wrote on my application form, and it was on my accountant's letter too. i thought they would have the sense to recognise a typo from a phony; so i didn't send any addendum.

but then you better be safe than sorry.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:29 am

So what? Does the amount of 33k vs 34k make a difference in meeting the threshold point level to get the visa?

risingsun
Newly Registered

Post by risingsun » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:04 pm

republique wrote:

So what? Does the amount of 33k vs 34k make a difference in meeting the threshold point level to get the visa?
Well, It still meets the criteria, I still get 35 Points... and the fact is that incorrect amount is "smaller" than actual gross in GBP, hence giving me a benefit of doubt that my intentions are not to misguide caseworker in thinking that I earn more.

Hence you are right, it does not make a difference.

But.. the whole point is that how the case worker treats this... meaning, if he/she rejects my application stating the ambiguities, I dont know what to do.. I dont know if I can even make an appeal, because it was ME, who made the mistake..

So as ppl said.. Better be safe then sorry...

risingsun
Newly Registered

Post by risingsun » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:14 pm

Posting the letter I sent today for reference to others (If they are as good as me in making mistakes)

I sent this to the British Dy. High Commission, Mumbai address as above..

Sent by guess what.... blue dart priority :D . will reach mumbai b4 10:30 on monday. (almost togather with my application)

I attached the page from covering letter, and used callout feature of word to indicate mistakes using arrows and added my comments.

-----------------------------------------------------

To,
The Assessing Officer,
Tier 1 General Visa Applications

Sub: Clarifications about typing mistakes in Covering Letter.
References:
Application Ref No: XXX/XXXXXX/XXXXX/X
Passport No: XXXXXX
Applicant: XXXX XXXXX XXXX

Dear Sir/Madam,

I made an application for availing Tier 1 General (Highly Skilled Worker) Visa on 11th December, 2009 from VFS Global Pune.

After application, I realized that I made two small mistakes in the Covering letter that can cause confusion.

I have attached a page from same covering letter along with this letter that highlights mistakes and also indicates correct information.

I would like to bring them to your notice with an apology for inconvenience caused.

1. Incorrect Conversion of INR to GBP in summary of earnings table.
I incorrectly mentioned in the summary that the gross equivalent salary in GBP is 33100.8188. However in the next paragraph in the same page of covering letter I have correctly mentioned that the annual gross salary in GBP is 34425.02. This can also be verified from other documents I have already provided with the application.

2. Did not underline salary credits in bank statements and pay slips. (Guys.. this was another goof up.... I did.....I was both reckless as well as careless)

I mentioned in covering letter that I have underlined the net salary credited in the bank statements and pay slips. But I missed to actually underline my salary in the actual statements and pay slips.

I sincerely regret the inconvenience caused and request you to consider my original documents and application forms for your decision.

Regards,
XXXX XXXX

Attachments: Printout of the cover letter “previous earningsâ€

vks

Post by vks » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:18 pm

[quote="risingsun"]Posting the letter I sent today for reference to others (If they are as good as me in making mistakes)

I sent this to the British Dy. High Commission, Mumbai address as above..

Sent by guess what.... blue dart priority :D . will reach mumbai b4 10:30 on monday. (almost togather with my application)

I attached the page from covering letter, and used callout feature of word to indicate mistakes using arrows and added my comments.

-----------------------------------------------------

To,
The Assessing Officer,
Tier 1 General Visa Applications

Sub: Clarifications about typing mistakes in Covering Letter.
References:
Application Ref No: XXX/XXXXXX/XXXXX/X
Passport No: XXXXXX
Applicant: XXXX XXXXX XXXX

Dear Sir/Madam,

I made an application for availing Tier 1 General (Highly Skilled Worker) Visa on 11th December, 2009 from VFS Global Pune.

After application, I realized that I made two small mistakes in the Covering letter that can cause confusion.

I have attached a page from same covering letter along with this letter that highlights mistakes and also indicates correct information.

I would like to bring them to your notice with an apology for inconvenience caused.

1. Incorrect Conversion of INR to GBP in summary of earnings table.
I incorrectly mentioned in the summary that the gross equivalent salary in GBP is 33100.8188. However in the next paragraph in the same page of covering letter I have correctly mentioned that the annual gross salary in GBP is 34425.02. This can also be verified from other documents I have already provided with the application.

2. Did not underline salary credits in bank statements and pay slips. (Guys.. this was another goof up.... I did.....I was both reckless as well as careless)This is not mandatory though.

I mentioned in covering letter that I have underlined the net salary credited in the bank statements and pay slips. But I missed to actually underline my salary in the actual statements and pay slips.

I sincerely regret the inconvenience caused and request you to consider my original documents and application forms for your decision.

Regards,
XXXX XXXX

Attachments: Printout of the cover letter “previous earningsâ€
Regards,
vks

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:32 pm

1.You are scoring enough points even if case worker consider your salary to be 33K.
2. You have not made this mistake in application form but only in cover letter. This should give you benefit of doubt.
3. You have posted letter clarifying the descrepancy.
4. It is also caseworker's duty to check,cross-check and corroborate all documents before saying that your didn't score enough (or made mistake). This also help them to keep administrative burden low(in case if your fire back via appeal etc.)

I think you should be fine. Try to relax now.

risingsun
Newly Registered

Post by risingsun » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks for all your support and guidance Chetan, Vks, republique, 1400 years and mvent..

I indeed feel relaxed :)

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:51 pm

risingsun wrote:Thanks for all your support and guidance Chetan, Vks, republique, 1400 years and mvent..

I indeed feel relaxed :)

Relax now, yes it is better to be safe than sorry. I hope they recieve and consider your second letter. See this post from k820. Good luck.