ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NI number for student visa under tier-4

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shahforyou
Newly Registered

NI number for student visa under tier-4

Post by shahforyou » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:35 am

Hello frnds, I just got the information that in UK, they will not give NI number to the new students from january-2011 so it means that they will not be able to do part time jobs. It is under new rules. My confusion is I am going on 21 december and I have got visa under tier-4 only. So I am sure i should get NI number and allowed 20 hours of work a week. Please give me your suggestions and ideas about this thing.

djzack

Re: NI number for student visa under tier-4

Post by djzack » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:10 am

shahforyou wrote:Hello frnds, I just got the information that in UK, they will not give NI number to the new students from january-2011 so it means that they will not be able to do part time jobs. It is under new rules. My confusion is I am going on 21 december and I have got visa under tier-4 only. So I am sure i should get NI number and allowed 20 hours of work a week. Please give me your suggestions and ideas about this thing.
Hi shahforyou,

Could you please provide a link / excerpt as a source for this news? As in where did you see this, was it something published online? or maybe an article in a newspaper etc.

If this is correct then it would certainly affect a large amount of student population in this country.

I can't comment on your case at the moment because if this is something coming into effect in 2011, then we still have a year in between.

Regards

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:34 am

shahforyou wrote:Hello frnds, I just got the information that in UK, they will not give NI number to the new students from january-2011 so it means that they will not be able to do part time jobs. It is under new rules. My confusion is I am going on 21 december and I have got visa under tier-4 only. So I am sure i should get NI number and allowed 20 hours of work a week. Please give me your suggestions and ideas about this thing.
Shouldn't matter since the work provision is not supposed to fund ur studies or lifestyle, u should have the money already.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

evabeva

Post by evabeva » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:58 am

Wanderer wrote:
Shouldn't matter since the work provision is not supposed to fund ur studies or lifestyle, u should have the money already.
are u nuts or evil or dearly beloved?!!!

What the hell you talking about, every student needs a part time job just to cover everyday life expenses!!

With part-time job, a student can just pay for food and clothes and not fees! You are english I guess and u should know that a part-time job is just pocket money....
what the hell with you people!!
none

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:02 am

evabeva wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

What the hell you talking about, every student needs a part time job just to cover everyday life expenses!!

With part-time job, a student can just pay for food and clothes and not fees! You are english I guess and u should know that a part-time job is just pocket money....
Ah the good old race card played by another numpty.

What do the rules say regarding maintenance and how much is needed? You must have enough to cover your living expenses so therefore if you actually have that amount, which you should in order to get the visa, then you won't need to work. I guess you're just another person who fiddles the system to your advantage and then blame everyone except yourself if it goes wrong.

evabeva

Post by evabeva » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:15 am

meats wrote:
evabeva wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

What do the rules say regarding maintenance and how much is needed? You must have enough to cover your living expenses so therefore if you actually have that amount, which you should in order to get the visa, then you won't need to work. I guess you're just another person who fiddles the system to your advantage and then blame everyone except yourself if it goes wrong.
No I am not, but all I can say is that these tough rules are really ridiculous. Cos' that little money a student earns working part-time goes to the bank again as england is very expensive to live. A student can't save anything if that's what your concern is!

Anyway don't want to discuss anymore....cos' is just not worth it!
none

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:19 am

evabeva wrote:
meats wrote:
evabeva wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

No I am not, but all I can say is that these tough rules are really ridiculous. Cos' that little money a student earns working part-time goes to the bank again as england is very expensive to live. A student can't save anything if that's what your concern is!

The rules say that you should have enough in your account to cover your tuition fees AND living expenses for the first 9 months if course is more than a year or for the duration of the course if less than 9 months. Student accomodation is cheap and as such there is actually no reason to work if you actually have the money in your account that you provided in order to get the visa. If you lied to get the visa and if this NI thing is actually true, then tough.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/study ... a/#header6

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:23 am

The old money in, get visa, money out trick!

evabeva

Post by evabeva » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:35 am

meats wrote:
evabeva wrote:
meats wrote:
evabeva wrote:

The rules say that you should have enough in your account to cover your tuition fees AND living expenses for the first 9 months if course is more than a year or for the duration of the course if less than 9 months. Student accomodation is cheap and as such there is actually no reason to work if you actually have the money in your account that you provided in order to get the visa. If you lied to get the visa and if this NI thing is actually true, then tough.

I know the rules , no need to put the link

well at the end of the day a country can set immigration rules as it pleases itself....I guess no foreigner can object this.
The best thing the new international students can do is step back from studying in the UK, if is very much to their disadvantage
none

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:40 am

evabeva wrote:
meats wrote:
evabeva wrote:
meats wrote:

I know the rules , no need to put the link

well at the end of the day a country can set immigration rules as it pleases itself....I guess no foreigner can object this.
The best thing the new international students can do is step back from studying in the UK, if is very much to their disadvantage
That would get rid of the bogus colleges and students overnight so that's a fantastic idea. The genuine students would still go to the universities so it's a win win situation.

evabeva

Post by evabeva » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:49 am

meats

well, do not deliberately confuse part-time job with bogus colleges. A genuine student can study at a UK university and at the same time work part time on weekends just to pay for food or even just for personal expenses or even just to take the mind away from studying and get socialized, work is necessary for the body as well. You can't just stay home-study. This won't make the student not genuine.

A non-genuine student, just to put it right for you, will not attend uni or college at all or only few hours at school and will work full time

Now can u understand the obvious difference? lool
none

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:53 am

evabeva wrote:meats

well, do not deliberately confuse part-time job with bogus colleges. A genuine student can study at a UK university and at the same time work part time on weekends just to pay for food or even just for personal expenses or even just to take the mind away from studying and get socialized, work is necessary for the body as well. You can't just stay home-study. This won't make the student not genuine.

A non-genuine student, just to put it right for you, will not attend uni or college at all or only few hours at school and will work full time

The obvious difference between a genuine and a non-genuine international student usually depends on whether they go to university or go to a college that no-one has ever heard of before.

There is no need for an international student to work in the 1st year of their course if the bank statement they provided is actually genuine and not just fabricated to please the ECO. If it's fabricated and this NI thing is actually true then tough shit, serves you right for trying to fool the ECO.

evabeva

Post by evabeva » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:05 pm

meats wrote:

The obvious difference between a genuine and a non-genuine international student usually depends on whether they go to university or go to a college that no-one has ever heard of before.

There is no need for an international student to work in the 1st year of their course if the bank statement they provided is actually genuine and not just fabricated to please the ECO. If it's fabricated and this NI thing is actually true then tough shit, serves you right for trying to fool the ECO.
Ok I agree with you regarding bogus colleges, just to set it right for you as I guess you are misunderstanding my position.
All I am taking about it this NI thing, you saying for the fist year the student should have enough money on account , ok I agree as the new rules say this but if they ban NI for students than he/she won't be able to work part time for entire time of the their studying , not just only for the first year..but for the whole years if they undertake undergraduate studying...and to me this would be unfair.
or did I get it wrong ?
none

evabeva

Post by evabeva » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 pm

Last edited by evabeva on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
none

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 pm

Not accusing anyone here but we all the following happens A LOT....

1. Student money deposited for entry to bogus or semi-bogus college by friend/for fee

2. Visa granted

3. Student arrives.

4. Money taken back, fee paid from 5.

5. Student works full time and never attends college until found out.

6. If fail try PSW

7. If fail try bogus marriage with an Eastern European.

One can plainly see a significant number of posters here on this subforum and the PSW one either cannot speak English at all and/or are practically illiterate.

Now, it's not the majority, but it's a fair few and the UKBA knows it.

I suspect there maybe some truth in the OP's fears, because one is supposed to have the money upfront anyway, and the the crappy student jobs are needed for Eastern Europeans and Tier 1 folks who can't get proper jobs.

Malcolm Tucker

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 pm

evabeva wrote:
meats wrote:

Ok I agree with you regarding bogus colleges, just to set it right for you as I guess you are misunderstanding my position.
All I am taking about it this NI thing, you saying for the fist year the student should have enough money on account , ok I agree as the new rules say this but if they ban NI for students than he/she won't be able to work part time for entire time of the their studying , not just only for the first year..but for the whole years if they undertake undergraduate studying...and to me this would be unfair.
or did I get it wrong ?
It would be unfair on anyone on an undergraduate course at university for example as they are all 3 years plus.

A Masters degree at university are usually 1 year in length so there would be no need to work for that. Any international student going to a 'college' shouldn't be allowed to work in my opinion regardless of the length of their course.

evabeva

Post by evabeva » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:23 pm

Wanderer wrote: and the the crappy student jobs are needed for Eastern Europeans and Tier 1 folks who can't get proper jobs.

Malcolm Tucker
Probably u would think different or wouldn't say this if you were from a poor country. There are many brainy eastern Europeans that can get proper jobs but tough rules make it hard for them to choose that's why most of them end up in these crappy jobs u mentioned.
none

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:28 pm

evabeva wrote:
Wanderer wrote: and the the crappy student jobs are needed for Eastern Europeans and Tier 1 folks who can't get proper jobs.

Malcolm Tucker
Probably u would think different or wouldn't say this if you were from a poor country. There are many brainy eastern Europeans that can get proper jobs but tough rules make it hard for them to choose that's why most of them end up in these crappy jobs u mentioned.
'Malcolm Tucker' was meant to give you a clue that I was ranting!

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:28 pm

evabeva wrote:

Malcolm Tucker
The majority of Eastern Europeans are now part of the EU so have no work restrictions imposed upon them in the UK.

evabeva

Post by evabeva » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:45 pm

Wanderer wrote:
evabeva wrote:

Malcolm Tucker
ok speaking the truth do not know who this Malcolm Tucker is, so googled it just for curiosity , and I can say that I have not seen his episodes...so apologies if I misunderstood.
none

evabeva

Post by evabeva » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:46 pm

meats wrote:
evabeva wrote:

Malcolm Tucker
The majority of Eastern Europeans are now part of the EU so have no work restrictions imposed upon them in the UK.
yeah I know... :)
none

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:47 pm

evabeva wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
evabeva wrote:

Malcolm Tucker
ok speaking the truth do not know who this Malcolm Tucker is, so googled it just for curiosity , and I can say that I have not seen his episodes...so apologies if I misunderstood.
I saw In The Loop last night - it's affected me greatly - funniest thing for ages!

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:48 pm

Wanderer wrote:
evabeva wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
evabeva wrote:
I saw In The Loop last night - it's affected me greatly - funniest thing for ages!
More than Ronnie's near miraculous comeback against John Higgins the other night?

evabeva

Post by evabeva » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Wanderer wrote:
A ok it's a rubbish ! I am gonna download it ....
Is that guy who playes '' the Sopranos"
none

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:13 pm

evabeva wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
A ok it's a rubbish ! I am gonna download it ....
Is that guy who playes '' the Sopranos"
Yes!

Don't download it if you object to profanity, it never stops from Malcolm! BTW it's not very complementary about the UK and US govs, u'll love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reTHiReUNo4