ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Tier 1 going to become easy to qualify ?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

herts
Member of Standing

Is Tier 1 going to become easy to qualify ?

Post by herts » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi members,
I read on workpermit.com that Govt is thinking to make tier 1 easy to qualify for bachelor degree holders with good salary

meats
BANNED

Re: Is Tier 1 going to become easy to qualify ?

Post by meats » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:25 pm

herts wrote:Hi members,
I read on workpermit.com that Govt is thinking to make tier 1 easy to qualify for bachelor degree holders with good salary
There were rumours of getting rid of the Masters degree needed and upping the required salary to £25k+ i think it was. Then giving points determined on what your salary is.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:29 pm

also the age increased to 39 which I think is quite decent thing.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:31 pm

herts wrote:also the age increased to 39 which I think is quite decent thing.
Can't remember about the age but yes experienced workers are better than graduates as we've got plenty of them in the UK already.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:40 pm

If suggested changes are implemented, it would indeed be possible to qualify for a person with only a bachelor's degree. I would not call this process particularly easy, though. Assuming the applicant is younger than 29, and without UK experience, they would get 50 points under the new system. However, they would also need to earn more than 40,000/year to qualify (which would give them the required 75 points overall). Given that the proposition is also to re-consider the uplift ratios from other countries (towards tougher levels, I presume), I would not bet my money that the process would be easy.

If a bachelor's holder is older than 29 (a reasonable assumption for somebody with such a high salary), the chances of success would be even lower for most potential applicants. From my personal point of view, it would make very little economic sense for anybody with such earning to immigrate to the UK. As a result, the skilled immigration may come to a standstill, with only low-skilled people continuing to come here.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:17 pm

ukswus wrote:
If suggested changes are implemented, it would indeed be possible to qualify for a person with only a bachelor's degree. I would not call this process particularly easy, though. Assuming the applicant is younger than 29, and without UK experience, they would get 50 points under the new system. However, they would also need to earn more than 40,000/year to qualify (which would give them the required 75 points overall). Given that the proposition is also to re-consider the uplift ratios from other countries (towards tougher levels, I presume), I would not bet my money that the process would be easy.

If a bachelor's holder is older than 29 (a reasonable assumption for somebody with such a high salary), the chances of success would be even lower for most potential applicants. From my personal point of view, it would make very little economic sense for anybody with such earning to immigrate to the UK. As a result, the skilled immigration may come to a standstill, with only low-skilled people continuing to come here.
Not really, the big multinational companies tend to bring over their own experienced personnel so in that regard the skilled immigration will continue. Take Singapore for example, most of the Western expats are there because their company has transferred them to head up departments within their company.

In regards to it making little economic sense, it depends on what sort of salary they can command in the UK compared to their home country or whatever country they're currently in. If it's a significant improvement on their current salary and covers the additional cost of living then it makes economic sense to move.