ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Could this impact on my citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Aaron.76
Newly Registered

Could this impact on my citizenship application

Post by Aaron.76 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi
I've submitted my citizenship application a week ago and couple of days ago my parents sent a small parcel in which they included 16 packs of cigarettes for my partner. As a result of a spot check the parcel was opened and the cigarettes removed. UKBA have enclosed a standard photocopy letter saying they will be contacting me in further to let me know what my options are.
So I'm wondering if this could impact my application for citizenship in anyway. I obviously wasn't aware my parents would send this and they said the parcel was checked by the local country customs and have been advised they can send up to 20 packs, so obviously they thought it is ok and sent the parcel.
Might be a stupid concern but I thought I'd ask.
Thanks!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:54 pm

Given that, based upon what you have posted, you have not done anything wrong, it follows that it cannot possibly have an impact upon any application made by you.

When you hear again from HMRC I suspect they will say something like ... if you want the cigarettes it will cost you £x, and if they do not receive the money within y days then they will be destroyed.

But do let us know please.
John

Aaron.76
Newly Registered

Post by Aaron.76 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:55 pm

Thank you John - will post any outcome here.

natural123
Newly Registered

Post by natural123 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:27 am

John wrote:Given that, based upon what you have posted, you have not done anything wrong, it follows that it cannot possibly have an impact upon any application made by you.

When you hear again from HMRC I suspect they will say something like ... if you want the cigarettes it will cost you £x, and if they do not receive the money within y days then they will be destroyed.

Nice, reply.
I can understand easily.

keshgrover
Member of Standing

Post by keshgrover » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:09 am

John wrote:Given that, based upon what you have posted, you have not done anything wrong, it follows that it cannot possibly have an impact upon any application made by you.

There is a quite good amount of people those sell duplicate china made cigrattes on London streets and I notice them quite often. They have never been effected and tottally covered. I am sure you will perfectly fine.
KESH

z.yas
Newly Registered

Post by z.yas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:48 pm

keshgrover wrote:

There is a quite good amount of people those sell duplicate china made cigrattes on London streets and I notice them quite often. They have never been effected and tottally covered. I am sure you will perfectly fine.
Kesh, I understand your point and trust that you did not mean to say anything wrong about Chinese people here... but to respect other follow members from China I would try to give generic references in my response instead of being specific to any particular country / nation if I was you. No offense please. :)

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:51 pm

z.yas wrote:
keshgrover wrote:

Kesh, I understand your point and trust that you did not mean to say anything wrong about Chinese people here... but to respect other follow members from China I would try to give generic references in my response instead of being specific to any particular country / nation if I was you. No offense please. :)
He said that the fags had been made in China and not that Chinese people were selling them on the streets of London.

z.yas
Newly Registered

Post by z.yas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:01 pm

meats wrote:
z.yas wrote:
keshgrover wrote:

He said that the fags had been made in China and not that Chinese people were selling them on the streets of London.
Interesting... just curious to know if any of the duplicates actually say 'made in china' on their label. I am sorry if my message is being misunderstood... but no point discussing this further... at least no in Aaron's thread... didn't mean to hijack his post!

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:08 pm

z.yas wrote:
meats wrote:
z.yas wrote:
keshgrover wrote:
Interesting... just curious to know if any of the duplicates actually say 'made in china' on their label. I am sorry if my message is being misunderstood... but no point discussing this further... at least no in Aaron's thread... didn't mean to hijack his post!
True, and i don't have a clue as i don't smoke.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:41 pm

meats wrote:
z.yas wrote:
keshgrover wrote:

By the way, they are called fags because they used to burn fagots at the stake. So if we are trying to be politically correct, you should avoid using the word fags.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:53 pm

republique wrote:
meats wrote:
z.yas wrote:
keshgrover wrote:
By the way, they are called fags because they used to burn fagots at the stake. So if we are trying to be politically correct, you should avoid using the word fags.
They're called fags by everyone i know and i've always called them fags.

Political correctness is also a load of bullshit.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:16 pm

What about Brain's Faggot's then?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Aaron.76
Newly Registered

Post by Aaron.76 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Oh wow - quite the discussion! :shock:

Update as promised - got my citizenship letter a week ago and the ceremony is scheduled for 14th Jan (waited about 3 weeks in total).

So no effect whatsoever. Also - it turns out that although the letter for seized goods are printed on UK BA template letter, they are not actually issued by them but by the Postal Seizures Department which at present is part of Royal Mail.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!