ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mess

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:57 pm

But, one would assume, Wee and her husband speak the same language. Perhaps Wee's husband is from a Cantonese speaking part of China?

Anyway, mochyn, may I ask:
  • Are HK residents (of Chinese descent) Chinese nationals, as is suggested on the Wikipedia article?
  • If they are Chinese nationals, does this not equate to PRC citizenship? Or is it HKSAR citizenship only?
  • If HKSAR citizenship (actually exists?), what right of residence does the person have in PRC?
Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:45 pm

hi benifa,
From Wee's posting and subsequent replies from various people that they could live in China and Wee stating that she would prefer to live in an English speaking country, I would presume that they both speak Cantonese and are from HK.
There is no freedom of movement in China and people from mainland China have to apply for a visa to visit HK and there was/is a quota of 150 visas issued each day.Also you must have permission to live in different areas of China, this is to control the population flooding into the cities from rural areas and from mainland China flooding into HK.
Nationality is a grey area as prior to 1997 HK was a UK colony.
If you were born in HK but applied for BNO (British National Overseas) passport, then you were British but did not have the right to live in the UK.
This gave a lot more freedom to travel without the need for multiple visas and many HK people took advantage of this.
However having the BNO meant that you were not entitled to PRC citizenship.HK residents had to renounce their allegance to the Queen in order to gain PRC citizenship.
Quite a few politicians of Chinese descent are barred from visiting their families on the mainland due to their opposition to the Communist party.These are democrats in HK
As ever there are no simple answers
Hope this helps

Wee

Post by Wee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks mochyn for clarifying this. Me and my husband communicate in English as he is from North China where they speak Mandarin and i dont understand it whatsoever. We prefer to be in an English speaking country as this is the only language we both can speak.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:16 pm

Thanks, mochyn - very useful and interesting information!
Wee wrote:Thanks mochyn for clarifying this. Me and my husband communicate in English as he is from North China where they speak Mandarin and i dont understand it whatsoever. We prefer to be in an English speaking country as this is the only language we both can speak.
Apologies for going off-topic Wee, but I must say I find that very unusual.

I know this may sound like a huge generalisation, but *every* PRC national I have ever come across in the UK restaurant trade converses (at least with other ethnic Chinese) in Cantonese or attempted Cantonese (unless speaking to fellow Fu Zhou speakers)..

Hats off to you two, you're the first HK / PRC relationship I've ever known to converse in English.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:35 am

I think your best bet Wee is to wait for the result of your application and remember you have the right to appeal and as part of your appeal you can submit new documentation for them to reconsider the decision.Many refusals are overturned at the tribunal.
If you go this way you will have to wait a few months.
If your appeal fails then you can consider what Benifa suggested, I am sure you can find a job in a Chinese restaurent in Ireland.
I don't think there are any other choices for you , its either the UK or Ireland
You have to be strong to endure the separation but it will not be forever and be positive, there is always hope

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 am

mochyn wrote:I think your best bet Wee is to wait for the result of your application and remember you have the right to appeal and as part of your appeal you can submit new documentation for them to reconsider the decision.Many refusals are overturned at the tribunal.
If you go this way you will have to wait a few months.
If your appeal fails then you can consider what Benifa suggested, I am sure you can find a job in a Chinese restaurent in Ireland.
I don't think there are any other choices for you , its either the UK or Ireland
You have to be strong to endure the separation but it will not be forever and be positive, there is always hope
Yes, and remember at least now you do have options, something you perhaps thought you didn't have when u started the thread.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Wee

Visa granted, can't believe it!

Post by Wee » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:27 am

My husband got his visa! I can't believe it! He will be home in a week! Thanks for the advice everyone, it worked. I just hope he has no problems on arrival to the uk.

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: Visa granted, can't believe it!

Post by Ben » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:02 am

Wee wrote:My husband got his visa! I can't believe it! He will be home in a week! Thanks for the advice everyone, it worked. I just hope he has no problems on arrival to the uk.
EUTR visa for Ireland or UK spouse visa? Either way, congrats. Glad there's a light at the end of the tunnel for you.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:20 am

CONGRATS, Wee! Happy for you! :)

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Yaaaaayyy!!!!!! congrats to you guys!!
I tell it like it is.