ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel Before Tier 2 Extension

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mooreao
Newly Registered

Travel Before Tier 2 Extension

Post by mooreao » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:51 am

Hello,

I am in the process of extending my Work Permit Visa. I am currently working on a Work Permit. My current visa expires at the end of January. I have just obtained my new Certificate of Sponsorship to extend my visa.

I have plans to travel back to America over Christmas for a few days, but due to having to send my passport in to the Home Office with my application, am waiting to send in my application until the beginning of January.

My question is: Since my visa expires on 25 Jan, will I be allowed to re-enter?

I ask because I read something about not being able to re-enter within 6 months of the visa expiring, even though I went to Paris in October and re-entered with no problem.

Thank you for the help!

zafarazeem
Newly Registered

Re: Travel Before Tier 2 Extension

Post by zafarazeem » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:53 am

you will be allowed if you show them the certificate of Sponsorship.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:45 am

If the validiy of the visa is less than 3months...

Apart from the CoS it is good to have a letter from your company that you are working there and going on holiday for specified days..

this has been adviced by one of the immigration officer when i asked the same question.. hope it helps

djzack

Re: Travel Before Tier 2 Extension

Post by djzack » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:05 pm

mooreao wrote:Hello,

I am in the process of extending my Work Permit Visa. I am currently working on a Work Permit. My current visa expires at the end of January. I have just obtained my new Certificate of Sponsorship to extend my visa.

I have plans to travel back to America over Christmas for a few days, but due to having to send my passport in to the Home Office with my application, am waiting to send in my application until the beginning of January.

My question is: Since my visa expires on 25 Jan, will I be allowed to re-enter?

I ask because I read something about not being able to re-enter within 6 months of the visa expiring, even though I went to Paris in October and re-entered with no problem.

Thank you for the help!
This is something you should clarify by calling - Immigration enquiry bureau, 0870 606 7766.

And yes, COS is not something you can carry with yourself around, it's just a reference number assigned to you by your employer. It's not a tangible letter/certificate which help you to re-gain entry into the United Kingdom. A letter from your employer will however prove useful.

evem
Newly Registered

Post by evem » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:03 pm

I don't think it's a problem as I've travelled out of the UK and back in within a week of my visa expiring. I think the bigger problem is if your passport is expiring.

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:03 pm

You can have your employer print out the CoS (it will be 3 pages long). Carry that too and just know what you're saying. You'll probably know more about the process than the officer you see. You'll be fine.