ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for EEA permit from US--how long and how?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

swedeinus
Newly Registered

Applying for EEA permit from US--how long and how?

Post by swedeinus » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:08 am

How long will it take for my husband to receive a EEA Family entry clearance permit to join me and kids in the UK? I'm Swedish citizen, he's American. Does he need a current passport to begin this application, or can he apply before? His passport is expired, and his new one will arrive in 4-6 weeks.

I had looked into this question previously and had been told that this entry permit takes a short time, approximately 6 weeks, but upon my recent arrival in the UK, on way to Sweden, I was told in customs that such a permit takes 6 months currently. I'm wondering if he was referring to the permit that one must apply for AFTER arriving in the UK, to secure continued residence. I'm aware that customs officials all over Europe do not always know current regulations.

Can anyone enlighten me about this? My husband is currently in the US and we hope that he will be able to join up with us within the next few months, sooner the better.

Also, I need instructions on how to apply for this permit from the US. I tried checking the UK Embassy there, but I could only find a link to applying for a visa, which would not apply to our situation.
Who initiates the application--me, him, both?

Thanks!

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: Applying for EEA permit from US--how long and how?

Post by 86ti » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:19 am

swedeinus wrote:I had looked into this question previously and had been told that this entry permit takes a short time, approximately 6 weeks, but upon my recent arrival in the UK, on way to Sweden, I was told in customs that such a permit takes 6 months currently. I'm wondering if he was referring to the permit that one must apply for AFTER arriving in the UK, to secure continued residence. I'm aware that customs officials all over Europe do not always know current regulations.
Yes, customs told you about the processing times of residence cards (not a permit!) which BTW does not need to be applied for though for pratical purpose your husband better gets one. The EEA family permit which just serves as an entrance clearance should be issued much faster. I would think that 6 weeks is quite a long time.

eldane
Mood:
Denmark

Processing times

Post by eldane » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:22 pm

If your spouse "belongs" to the UK NY consulate the processing times can be found here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/processingtimes

That list will show that 31 percent of all EEA Family Permits applications were resolved in 5 days and 100 percent in 10 days.

Sooo....... 6 weeks? 6 Months??? Far from both.

Enjoy,

Michael
Good intentions are appreciated but results are what matters..

WellingtonKiwi

Applying for EEA Family Permit

Post by WellingtonKiwi » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi there,

To apply for the EEA Family Permit, your husband should apply. Go to the Worldbridge site:
https://www.visainfoservices.com/Pages/Welcome.aspx

It will tell you how to apply from the US. The general procedure is, your husband has to submit an online form (you can do it in stages and save the application). Once it's submitted it will let you make a biometrics appointment - your husband has to take the printed complete form, supporting documents, to the relevant British embassy, and submit them in person as well as having fingerprints and eye scans done.

Then you just wait - they'll notify you when a decision has been made .... under EEA regulations they are supposed to treat Family Permits as priority.

Good luck!