ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent Residence Card & naturalisation as British

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

BLK235

Post by BLK235 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:05 am

When PR is issued as free standing document it gets attached to a piece of paper, which has lots of notes. One of the note says
Nationals of an EEA State who meet the relevant residence requirements are free to make an application for British Citizenship
Personally I wouldn't pay much attention to what NCS says - they are only familiar with most common applications and don't always give correct information. If in doubt call UKBA.

meinkaninchen
Newly Registered

Post by meinkaninchen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:18 am

kashyme wrote:
meinkaninchen wrote:
kashyme wrote:hi sash117
they are wrong
this is not a validity date this is the date of renewal of PR document so ur status will remain that of a person who is settled even after 10 years when you want to renew it. You can check the forum , there are members who got permanent residence through EU route and are british citizens now so don`t worry about this. The person u talked to is wrong. This 10 years card which is given to you is under the EEA law so 1 year after acquiring PR status u can apply for naturalisation .
thats good to know and certainly cleared my confusion. But would even be better if I can see some official reference on this. Any written literature on this or did you find it out from calling Home Office? Would appreciate a lot if I can have some some more light shed on this :D
Hi ,
please see chapter 6 of the euorpean casework instructions here
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... dlaw/ecis/
In section 4 of this chapter u will see:
"4. Validity of documents certifying permanent residence and permanent residence cards
A Document Certifying Permanent Residence does not have a date of expiry. However, a Permanent Residence Card is valid for 10 years from the date of issue and must be renewed upon application. This is subject to Regulation 20(3) concerning the loss of the right of permanent residence. A Document Certifying Permanent Residence and a Permanent Residence Card will cease to be valid if the holder ceases to have a right of permanent residence under Regulation 15(2)."

You can find regulation 20(3) and 15(2) here:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary
I understand that words must be renewed upon application shows that the holder of PR will remain a permanent resident if he does not leave UK for more than 2 years . Even an ILR holder will loose its indefinite leave to remain if he lives outside of UK for such long period.

And secondly if you have PR sticker in ur passport u can see it uses words "DOCUMENT RENEWAL DATE" not "valid until".

Regards

:) thanks for your help.

sash117
Newly Registered

Post by sash117 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi meinkaninchen

Yes my meeting was very positive, my both kids are now british citizen and their British Passport is also done.

Regards to my meeting with the NCS, the lady told me YES I can apply for British Citizen after 1 year from the date I got my Permanent Residence Card stamp in my case I will apply on 4th Aug 2010..

When I spoke to her on phone she was not sure what visa I have got. But after looking at my passport she said its OK for me to apply for British Citizen. I only need to pass Life in UK test before I apply...

Thanks

Regards

Sash

meinkaninchen
Newly Registered

Post by meinkaninchen » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:59 pm

sash117 wrote:Hi meinkaninchen

Yes my meeting was very positive, my both kids are now british citizen and their British Passport is also done.

Regards to my meeting with the NCS, the lady told me YES I can apply for British Citizen after 1 year from the date I got my Permanent Residence Card stamp in my case I will apply on 4th Aug 2010..

When I spoke to her on phone she was not sure what visa I have got. But after looking at my passport she said its OK for me to apply for British Citizen. I only need to pass Life in UK test before I apply...

Thanks

Regards

Sash

oh, good to hear that. Thanks for the reply Sash. Regards

Bee Queen
Newly Registered

MY PASSPORT WILL EXPIRE WHILE MY RESIDENT IS STILL VALID

Post by Bee Queen » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Hello all good people, thanks for sharing such helpful info with one another, this forum is such a great blessing.

Please can anyone advice me on what to do as in regards to my query:

A: My passport will expire April 2010, while my 5yrs resident is still valid till September 2010.

B: What are the document needed for a transfer of resident to my new Passport.

C: Will the HO issue me with a resident for the remaining months?

D: How long does it take for the HO to send me my new resident?

I will appreciate your quick response.

You all stay blessed.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Document Renewal Date after 10 years

Post by Jambo » Fri May 31, 2013 10:25 pm

daffodile wrote:Hi,

I've received Permanemt Residence Card after 5 months waiting with EEA4.
I've thought 'Document Renewal Date' stampted on it means only renewal (like passport renewal) because PRC doesn't have date of expire as kashyme's thoughtful reply.
But South Korean Embassy interprets PRC is not for PERMANENT/INDEFINITE SETTLEMENT.
The point is 'Document Renewal Date'. They told me this card is issued under the promise of marriage status with EEA spouse, I should prove our relationship every 10 years! They insist this is decision made by Home Office.

If our marriage is broken up, do I lose my rights of permanent residency after 10 years? It is not really persuasive cause Home Office itself allow PRC holders to get citizenship after a year!
Does citizenship also have renewal or validation date??!!

Please give me any informations to refute Korean Embassy's interpretation.
Not sure why you revived a three years old post but never mind.

I don't understand how the South Korea embassy fit in the story. What have they to do with UK immigration?

Once you have PR, you are not dependant on your partner. It doesn't even say on the PR Confirmation that you are a family member of EEA national (which in itself is causing problems to use it in lieu of a Schengen visa as you can do with the RC).

iwantmyresidenceasap
Newly Registered

Re: Permanent Residence Card & naturalisation as British

Post by iwantmyresidenceasap » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:42 pm

PLEASE HELP

Civil Partnership Oct/08
Residence Card received May/09
Permanent Residence Card received June/14

Does that mean I can apply for British Citizenship on the basis that I automatically became a 'permanent resident' immediately after Oct/13 (5 years after the ceremony)?

It says I must have held Indefinite Leave to Remain for the last 12 months before applying.

Does that mean the date I received my Permanent Residence Card or 5 years after the Civil Partnership date?

Many thanks

Useful links

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... apter6.pdf
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006 ... on/15/made

CheGuevara
- thin ice -
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CheGuevara » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:22 am

In Ireland they only give till the validity of passport, got my PR in Jan 2013 but because my passport expires in 2016, the card i was given expires in 2016. And i was told to report back with my wife in 2016 to get the rest of my time. I have written to Europa, this must surely be against the directive.

badratio

Post by badratio » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:32 pm

iwantmyresidenceasap wrote:PLEASE HELP

Civil Partnership Oct/08

Does that mean I can apply for British Citizenship on the basis that I automatically became a 'permanent resident' immediately after Oct/13 (5 years after the ceremony)?

It says I must have held Indefinite Leave to Remain for the last 12 months before applying.

Does that mean the date I received my Permanent Residence Card or 5 years after the Civil Partnership date?

Many thanks

Useful links

You can only apply after 12 months of issuing your PR. (June 2015)
Naturalisation timeline: EEU PR
Application date: 17-03-2015
Fee deducted : 24-03-2015
Acknowledgment email : 25-03-2015
Approval date : 02-04-2015
Ceremony: 28-04-2015

majamcr

Post by majamcr » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:31 pm

badratio wrote:
iwantmyresidenceasap wrote:PLEASE HELP

Civil Partnership Oct/08

Many thanks

Useful links

You can only apply after 12 months of issuing your PR. (June 2015)
I believe this is wrong. If the civil partnership is treated in the same way as marriage, you have indeed automatically obtained PR status in Oct 2013 and will become eligible for BC in Oct 2014. However, if you apply in less than 1 year after your PR sticker is issued, when you apply for BC you will have to send relevant documents again proving that you obtained PR status at least 12 months prior to your BC application.

Check also Naturalisation Q5 at Citizenship FAQs:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95747.html

shifanjack
Newly Registered

Post by shifanjack » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:37 pm

hello friends
i have 10 pr card now, from eea4 , can i applay naturalisation? its already 1year from the date its esueed,
is any one know what is the application formand how to applay? thank you

liquidweb

Post by liquidweb » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:17 pm

shifanjack wrote:hello friends
i have 10 pr card now, from eea4 , can i applay naturalisation? its already 1year from the date its esueed,
is any one know what is the application formand how to applay? thank you
Yes. You are eligible. Congratulations in advance !