ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration offences

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Gerald
Newly Registered

Immigration offences

Post by Gerald » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:00 pm

I went to the post office today to pick up something.I used my passport which I normally use for travelling as an i.d.The lady at the post office scanned it and it produced a sound.She then said my passport had an I.M on it and was asking her colleague whether she should give me my things or not.She late gave me but I was a bit confused.

What does I.M mean and why would I have such a problem.I have travelled a lot without problems.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:20 pm

What nationality is your passport?

You didn't have a problem, the Post Office were making a double-check. I was once held up for a while at an airline check-in, and had to speak to the duty manager, because apparently I shared a name with someone on their blacklist. I didn't regard that as a problem.

Gerald
Newly Registered

Post by Gerald » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:13 pm

Mr Rusty wrote:What nationality is your passport?

You didn't have a problem, the Post Office were making a double-check. I was once held up for a while at an airline check-in, and had to speak to the duty manager, because apparently I shared a name with someone on their blacklist. I didn't regard that as a problem.
It was strange

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Mr Rusty wrote:I was once held up for a while at an airline check-in, and had to speak to the duty manager, because apparently I shared a name with someone on their blacklist. I didn't regard that as a problem.
That bloke from the Magic Roundabout no doubt ;-)

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: Immigration offences

Post by Ben » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Gerald wrote:I went to the post office today to pick up something.I used my passport which I normally use for travelling as an i.d.The lady at the post office scanned it and it produced a sound.She then said my passport had an I.M on it and was asking her colleague whether she should give me my things or not.She late gave me but I was a bit confused.

What does I.M mean and why would I have such a problem.I have travelled a lot without problems.
Post Office staff scan your passport when you collect something from there?

Since when?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Gerald
Newly Registered

Post by Gerald » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:31 pm

benifa wrote:
Gerald wrote:I went to the post office today to pick up something.I used my passport which I normally use for travelling as an i.d.The lady at the post office scanned it and it produced a sound.She then said my passport had an I.M on it and was asking her colleague whether she should give me my things or not.She late gave me but I was a bit confused.

Post Office staff scan your passport when you collect something from there?

Since when?
It happened today

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:36 pm

So scarely, given that now days most forms of IDs issued outside the EU/ the WEST to be general, are subjected to fraud/ counterfeit.What you went through has now become a daily experience to many!
Relax! and this too shall pass, secrets are like seasons, they change.

keshgrover
Member of Standing

Post by keshgrover » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:22 pm

DFDS. wrote:So scarely, given that now days most forms of IDs issued outside the EU/ the WEST to be general, are subjected to fraud/ counterfeit.What you went through has now become a daily experience to many!
That is true. I had credit cards issued without my knowledge on my name and was bombered with bills afterwards. Investigation is still going on. And it is not effecting me now but it did initially. The way individual's information is being shared at every public and private sector is a massive threat.
KESH

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:55 am

If you received an email saying you won gazillion of $$$ and to collect them you need to send your information, that's one thing. and also throwing out bills and other household information without shredding them will also be a threat to your personal info.

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:43 pm

keshgrover wrote:
DFDS. wrote:So scarely, given that now days most forms of IDs issued outside the EU/ the WEST to be general, are subjected to fraud/ counterfeit.What you went through has now become a daily experience to many!
That is true. I had credit cards issued without my knowledge on my name and was bombered with bills afterwards. Investigation is still going on. And it is not effecting me now but it did initially. The way individual's information is being shared at every public and private sector is a massive threat.
Well you are absolutely right, all public and private sectors in the especially in the UK, are requesting for full personal information, if they are to offer any services. I find it unfair, as we are not sure of there data security. Water, Electricity, Gas, Banks, Councils, GPs, Car Hire companies, Employers, Western Union, Local Money transfers, Landlords, Education Institutions, Airlines,Post office, soon we shall see train companies and superstores requesting us to register before they offer there services. But how safe is our data with in the hands of all these?

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:55 pm

DFDS. wrote:
keshgrover wrote:
Well you are absolutely right, all public and private sectors in the especially in the UK, are requesting for full personal information, if they are to offer any services. I find it unfair, as we are not sure of there data security. Water, Electricity, Gas, Banks, Councils, GPs, Car Hire companies, Employers, Western Union, Local Money transfers, Landlords, Education Institutions, Airlines,Post office, soon we shall see train companies and superstores requesting us to register before they offer there services. But how safe is our data with in the hands of all these?
How are you going to use those services if you don't give over personal information? 'Yes i want to hire a car but no i'm not giving you my name or address as it's personal information'. What you should instead be worried about is the data being sold on to 3rd parties and the sheer number of CCTV cameras in place which are used for everything except catching criminals! Parked illegally? Oh look we'll send you a nice CCTV picture of your car and fine you accordingly. Stabbing on CCTV? Too much work involved, delete the film.

Supermarkets and train companies can't, and will never be able to, make you register with them to buy a ticket at a counter or buy your groceries at the shop, with the exception of wholesalers. If you use them online then yes you have to register, the same as with everything that involves money changing hands.

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:13 pm

meats wrote:
DFDS. wrote:
keshgrover wrote:
How are you going to use those services if you don't give over personal information? 'Yes i want to hire a car but no i'm not giving you my name or address as it's personal information'. What you should instead be worried about is the data being sold on to 3rd parties and the sheer number of CCTV cameras in place which are used for everything except catching criminals! Parked illegally? Oh look we'll send you a nice CCTV picture of your car and fine you accordingly. Stabbing on CCTV? Too much work involved, delete the film.

Supermarkets and train companies can't, and will never be able to, make you register with them to buy a ticket at a counter or buy your groceries at the shop, with the exception of wholesalers. If you use them online then yes you have to register, the same as with everything that involves money changing hands.
Meats what significance has it made with some sectors requesting all your personal information other than fraud!

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:27 pm

DFDS. wrote:
meats wrote:
DFDS. wrote:
keshgrover wrote:

Meats what significance has it made with some sectors requesting all your personal information other than fraud!
Well how are you going to pay for your gas, water and leccy if they don't have your name and address? How are you going to pay for your airline ticket if they don't have your debit/credit card information, passport number, name etc? If you buy something off of Amazon how are you going to pay for it without debit/credit card information, how will it be delivered without them knowing your address? Why would a landlord rent out his/her house to someone they don't know without first doing checks on the prospective tenant(s) to make sure that they don't have a history of non-payments, vandalism, criminal record etc? Why would a car hire company give you a car without getting your details beforehand? What's to stop you from just nicking the car and flogging it if they don't have your details? You'd never be caught by the police as the car hire company don't know who you are, where you live etc.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Did anyone answer what does IM mean?

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:53 am

Meats crime is at its peak no matter whether all personal information is being requested. The issue was how safe is our data, when each and every Tom, Dick & Harry is requesting to have access to your personal details in order to give services? Many countries have been offering there citizens with all these essentials for almost a century( Water, Electricity, Gas etc) with out requesting all there personal details uptodate. The situation is just escalating, in that now travel Docs. have to be biometric, Visa are now Biometric. Take an example of Manchester Airport where they introduced a very sophisticated system.This is an automatic face recognition.So how about the Biometric, hasn't it failed! Seems like everyone has got right to your details. The more your personal data is spread, the more val unable you are. I mean there people out there who have leaved a very happy life and no one has ever bother them with there personal data!

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:11 pm

DFDS. wrote:Meats crime is at its peak no matter whether all personal information is being requested. The issue was how safe is our data, when each and every Tom, Dick & Harry is requesting to have access to your personal details in order to give services? Many countries have been offering there citizens with all these essentials for almost a century( Water, Electricity, Gas etc) with out requesting all there personal details uptodate. The situation is just escalating, in that now travel Docs. have to be biometric, Visa are now Biometric. Take an example of Manchester Airport where they introduced a very sophisticated system.This is an automatic face recognition.So how about the Biometric, hasn't it failed! Seems like everyone has got right to your details. The more your personal data is spread, the more val unable you are. I mean there people out there who have leaved a very happy life and no one has ever bother them with there personal data!
Biometric passports were introduced to apparently increase security following terrorist attacks around the world. It is also to try and make it harder to forge a passport thus attempting to prevent passports falling into the wrong hands. Whether this is actually working or not is another matter.

As i said previously, your personal details are needed in order to have services such as water, leccy and gas. How would you have a bank account if the bank doesn't know your name and address to send statements too? If they didn't need your details then anyone can open a bank. Believe it or not the banks don't have a big box which contains all of your money in your local branch. If the banks had no names then how would you suggest they work out who has what money?

If you don't want your data being used by companies providing a service then you can always move to one which doesn't collect data. I can't actually think of any though, can you?

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Meats i fail to understand why you don't get my point. The issue i raise is, if each Tom, Dick & Harry is going to ask for your personal details then how safe are you, given the fact that not all these service providers do have the capacity to protect such data. For your information Biometrics come after your personal details. You can not put Biometrics at use with out name & D.O.B! My point is, there sued be a limit on who ask ask for our personal details & who shouldn't. And under what circumstances should one provider such information. Am not opposed to banks asking for my details, but why should a lord keep my personal details under his bed? i can show him ID, let him make checks if he has to, but not him having photo copies for keeps.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:18 pm

DFDS. wrote:Meats i fail to understand why you don't get my point. The issue i raise is, if each Tom, Dick & Harry is going to ask for your personal details then how safe are you, given the fact that not all these service providers do have the capacity to protect such data. For your information Biometrics come after your personal details. You can not put Biometrics at use with out name & D.O.B! My point is, there sued be a limit on who ask ask for our personal details & who shouldn't. And under what circumstances should one provider such information. Am not opposed to banks asking for my details, but why should a lord keep my personal details under his bed? i can show him ID, let him make checks if he has to, but not him having photo copies for keeps.
As i said, why shouldn't a landlord make security checks before renting out his house? Would you rent out your house to someone that you don't know without first checking up on that person to make sure that he's paid his rent previously, no criminal history etc or would you just give him the keys without checking anything first? Why shouldn't he have photocopies? At the end of the day he needs to know who is now living in his house and looking after it.