ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Processing Time

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

indiaone
Newly Registered

Processing Time

Post by indiaone » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:52 pm

Hello,

Its been 15 months since i got file # from CHC. They have mentioned in my file # that it will take around 33 months to process my application. I have applied under skilled worker category and have 70 points under my belt. I am Indian Citizen and have applied from India.Also there are no pending documentation which i am required to submit. My question is:

Will it take 33 months or can i expect before the time period mention as i heard that Canada is really short of Manpower and has therefore speeded up the process.
By when can i expect my papers to be through.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:49 pm

IMHO I see no reason why you would get a decision before the stated timeline. The visa posts in India have the largest number of applicants and hence one of the largest backlogs. This coupled with the class action suit putting circa 120K applicants back into the quota (see my prior posts on this) means Canada has a large pool of applicants to meet the quota for the next 2-3 years. Only way to get into Canada before then is via Work Permit if your skillset in short supply as attested to by a job offer validated by Human Resources & Skills Development Canada. Sorry that may be news you may not want to hear. I know many people giving up on Canada and going for Australia - their processing times are much shorter and their labour market is more open to immigrant skills/ qualifications relative to Canada.

indiaone
Newly Registered

Processing Time

Post by indiaone » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:36 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your quick response.

I will be sitting for GMAT sometime next year depending on my preparation. Also, I have checked with various immigration consultants in India and am not making it for Australia. Moreover, I am almost half way through regarding Immigrating to Canada and would therefore like to take full jump then stopping in between.

Sir, I have few more questions and would be glad if you can answer them as it will help me to get focused.

1. Going to Canada on Student Visa (As International Student):-

i) Will it be good idea (financially or otherwise) to sit for GMAT and go to Canada to study MBA before getting Immigration or I should wait for my Immigration?
ii) How much University fees i have to pay extra then from local students i.e. what can be the difference?
iii) If i get Immigration after i reach Canada, will i still have to bear international fees or University will change my status from International student to local student. Also would then they provide financial concessions i.e. charge fees applicable to local students?
iv) If i am in Canada as student, and receive immigration afterwards, do i have to still show $ 10000+ dollars and pay landing fees? Will I have to come back to India for Interview and Medicals?
Since after Medicals I have to deposit by Passport with CHC, how will I go back to Canada to complete my studies.
v) If my student visa gets rejected, will it have any effect on my immigration?

2. Going to Australia on Student Visa (As International Student):-

i) If I do Accountancy or Finance in Australia, will it be recognized in Canada i.e. will I on the basis of my education in Australia be able to pick up job in Canada. Why I am thinking about Australia is because it is quite easy to go on Student Visa (i.e. have to give only IELTS).
I have heard that Canadian Employer prefer Candidates with Canadian Education and Experience.
ii) Will I have to face any problem in Case I get Canadian Immigration during my tenure as student in Australia?
iii) Will it have any effect on my immigration to Canada??

Regards,
Indiaone

indiaone
Newly Registered

Post by indiaone » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:08 pm

Hi Kayalami,

Would request you to please share your comments on questions stated above.
I will be really greatful to you.

Regards,
Indiaone

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:33 pm

IMHO a key feature of your post is that you are asking me to make a decision for you. I am sorry I am not able to do that. I do not know your personal circumstances, what motivates you, your future goals etc. For example why do you want to do an MBA? I can only comment on factual matters.
i) Will it be good idea (financially or otherwise) to sit for GMAT and go to Canada to study MBA before getting Immigration or I should wait for my Immigration?
In what context? See my comments above. Your financial options are better where you are a Canadian PR e.g. scolarships, loans etc.
ii) How much University fees i have to pay extra then from local students i.e. what can be the difference?
Check each respective insitution - for some no difference for others could be double.
iii) If i get Immigration after i reach Canada, will i still have to bear international fees or University will change my status from International student to local student. Also would then they provide financial concessions i.e. charge fees applicable to local students?
Where applicable fee structure changed upon acqusition of PR status. On concessions see my earlier quote.
iv) If i am in Canada as student, and receive immigration afterwards, do i have to still show $ 10000+ dollars and pay landing fees?
Yes and yes.
Will I have to come back to India for Interview and Medicals?
Interview if needed will be in India. Medicals can be done by any Designated Medical Practitioner from CIC list - they are in most countries.
Since after Medicals I have to deposit by Passport with CHC, how will I go back to Canada to complete my studies.
Most applicants in Canada send their passports to the relevant visa post outside Canada proceed to a land border with the US then return to Canada to land as a PR. Indian passports have a clause stating they should not be sent but many ignore this. You can always fly to India to get the stamp.
v) If my student visa gets rejected, will it have any effect on my immigration?
Depends - if due to fraud yes. If due to returnability then no.
i) If I do Accountancy or Finance in Australia, will it be recognized in Canada i.e. will I on the basis of my education in Australia be able to pick up job in Canada. Why I am thinking about Australia is because it is quite easy to go on Student Visa (i.e. have to give only IELTS).
Depends on what type of accountancy e.g. Management = CIMA, certified = ACCA etc - some bodies have reciprocal arrangements with the Canadian equivalents e.g. CA but such may be on a provincial level. Type Canadian and Australian accountancy bodies respectively in a search engine such as google to see aggreements. My understanding is that the Chartered Accountant (CA) designation in Canada is the most desired/ highest paying. I can't help but think you are working backwards on this issue. What is it you would like to do professionally?
I have heard that Canadian Employer prefer Candidates with Canadian Education and Experience.
Correct - I am aware of many immigrants who have spent a considerable amount of money to retrain to include MBA's only to be dissapointed. Remember the job market is not just about your education, its also your experience, attitude, communication skills not to forget the demand for your skills.
ii) Will I have to face any problem in Case I get Canadian Immigration during my tenure as student in Australia?
?????
iii) Will it have any effect on my immigration to Canada??
?????

My observation has been that it is easier to find employment/ settle in a country in which you have been educated in because both you, the government and employers have familiarity.

I hope that helps.

rely

Re: Processing Time

Post by rely » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:20 am

indiaone wrote:Hello,

Its been 15 months since i got file # from CHC. They have mentioned in my file # that it will take around 33 months to process my application. I have applied under skilled worker category and have 70 points under my belt. I am Indian Citizen and have applied from India.Also there are no pending documentation which i am required to submit. My question is:

Will it take 33 months or can i expect before the time period mention as i heard that Canada is really short of Manpower and has therefore speeded up the process.
It is like fire and forget missile.Just file it and forget it, if you are filing from Delhi.China has huge backlog followed by India.IF YOUR INTERVIEW IS WAIVED then you will get waiver letter after 52 months from the date of filing and if your interview is not waived and you are called for interview then 68 months to get interview letter and another 7/8 months to get visa after completon of formalities like medical and visa stamping. Long wait.
rely

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:11 am

Really, a whole 68 months to process immigration Application :shock: By this time i guess they must have forgotten what the Application was all about in the first place. :roll:
"Behold, i have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it."

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:27 am

Bunto
On the contrary..thers always a brought forward date on each persons file so they dont 4get it somewhere in their archives. But the date can be as long as 2 years interval.

we submitted at GHana and my dear its 48 months this month.. we just got the interview waiver...even at that it dosent mean we will get the visa in the next 2 months as we still have to do medical.
It a long wait..but you get permanent residence status immediately. and after you get citizenship u can as well work in US with that...

Unfortunately, the queues are not getting smaller as they have about 800k applications on the queue at present :(
My bow has been renewed

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:23 am

Yodi

Of course I know they will have a way of tracking down the applications, I was just kidding. :)

I actually wanted to go for CIC, but i got discouraged because of the processing time. I was even told it takes between 24 and 36 months not 48 months to 68 months.

I have all docs ready for CIC, but yet to submit. Come to think of it what is the essence of submitting Bank statements to show evidence of funds and decisions won't be made until the next 6 years. Are they suggesting that the money should sit pretty in my Account?

Yodi with my HSMP Approval, i am actually confused. I don't know if i should still go ahead with the CIC stuff.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:22 pm

yodiyokun wrote:It a long wait..but you get permanent residence status immediately. and after you get citizenship u can as well work in US with that...
Canadians like all other persons who are not US citizens or lawful permanent residents (green card holders) require authorisation to be employed in the US. Canadians and Mexicans are eligible for NAFTA visas (TN) only in applicable (listed) categories..these are usually professional roles requiring as a minimum an undergraduate degree. Other than that there is no other advantage in so far as visa status in being Canadian for US employment. Other factors though are relevant such as commonality of language, culture etc.
buntosanya wrote:Yodi with my HSMP Approval, i am actually confused. I don't know if i should still go ahead with the CIC stuff.
Unless you are able to be in two places at the same time you need to decide on a respective country and forget the other one. Both countries have residence requirements for obtaining and/or keeping residence status which in turn count towards naturalisation.

rely

Re: Processing Time

Post by rely » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:22 am

indiaone wrote:Hello,

Well it will take 52 months(from the date of filing) for first review ie at this stage visa officer will decide whether to waive interview OR call for interview.If interview is waived fine if not then you will have to wait for 68 months to get interview call.Add 6 to 8 months after interview or interview waiver to finally get your visa.

read this info provided by chc, new delhi:-

"Due to these changes, we are currently unable to predict processing times other than for the stages indicated below".

Since application received in New Delhi:

Confirmation of receipt of application 6 months
First review 52 months
Interview 68 months

or go to this link:
http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/new-delhi/servstan-en.asp

rely

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:12 am

Kayalami,
hmm i heard that infor from a third party...sorry :wink:

Buntosanya,
true talk - there are presence requirements. but my dear, CIC gives u PR immediately while you dont get ILR in Uk till after 4 Years. by that time you will have been a citizen in canada.

In canada you get PR on landing and after 3 years of stay u get citizenship... though i think application for the citizenship takes about 9months to get approved.

all in all it really depends on what u want. if u want canada..u can still take a shortcut of applying thru UK CIC after you have spent 1 year in Uk, instead of applying thru ghana now.

Uk CIC takes about 18-24 months I think.

I have heard arguements for and against both countries-

But my dear, it all depends on what you really need from relocation, and you alone with ur partner can make that decision.

But dont worry when i get to canada(only God knows when) we will trade notes :D
My bow has been renewed

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:27 am

Yodi

That is true you will be able to tell me happenings over there, i pray it comes thru soon.

On PR and ILR - I think at the end of the day, UK citizenship is achievable faster considering the fact that one has to wait btw 48 - 68 months before the approval comes thru for CIC. Then will still have to wait for another 3 years for Citizenship, making it minimum of about 8 years, that is quite a long wait.

Maybe after some time in UK, we shall see if we still want to go ahead with CIC.

I learnt through words of mouth and research on Internet that Canada is more Immigrants friendly and that it is a nice place to raise kids.

But i discover that trying to get informations on 'living in Canada' is a little bit tough, most of their websites on job, property search and general day to day living activities are somehow restricted. Unlike UK, where you have websites like www.reed.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.upmystreet.co.uk and host of others.

I might be wrong but that is my humble opinion.

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:59 am

I learnt through words of mouth and research on Internet that Canada is more Immigrants friendly and that it is a nice place to raise kids.
Like I said there are varied opinions on this. I know a lot of folks who think the exact opposite..

Getting information is another issue... I thot so too initially, but now i know its a matter of looking in the right place.
My bow has been renewed

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:08 pm

lastly,

waiting for 48-68 months... applys to only some CIC offices ooooo
this is why a lot of people agree they are into selective immigration.
e.g South Africa is presently on 2003 applications while ghana is still on 2001 and ghana has been on 2001 for 2 years running now.
Buffalo and UK processes quite fast and they receive far more applications than some other countries.

You need to get to www.cic.gc.ca to see the processing times.

a close friend applied from Uk in 2002 and he landed in sept 2003 in canada.. he's almost completed his 3 year requirement for citizenship and I have just been waived for interview..its quite frustrating.
My bow has been renewed

buntosanya

Post by buntosanya » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:07 pm

Please tell me the right place to get information :wink: :)

buckethead
Newly Registered

Post by buckethead » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Hi all,
I have a qestion, about immigrate to Canada. I am a police officer in the Czech Rep. but my education is carpenter and have a lot of experience as a painter and i would like to get to Canada? My process will go trough Vienna, Austria. Do you guys know anything about timeline over in Vienna. Any helps welcome and will be appracite.
Thanks bucky

yaeli_17
Newly Registered

Post by yaeli_17 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:09 pm

Does anyone know if it takes so long to process the application from Europe as well? London in specific?
I've applied for common-law sponsorship application so it's ment to be speeded up alittle bit. but i'm not sure how efficient or overloaded the london office is

gcforever
Newly Registered

Post by gcforever » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:00 am

If you apply from within the US, the processing time is about 6 - 12 months. You can apply from the US if you are legally accepted to the country for 1 year.

Do it yourself Immigration to Canada as skilled worker complete guide.
http://www.doityourselfcanada.com

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:22 am

gcforever wrote:If you apply from within the US, the processing time is about 6 - 12 months. You can apply from the US if you are legally accepted to the country for 1 year.

Where did you get that information from? CIC website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department ... d-fed.html) shows that it takes 32 months for 30% of the case.

I live in US and from what I heard from other people, it takes roughly about 30 - 40 months.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:45 am

yaeli_17 wrote:Does anyone know if it takes so long to process the application from Europe as well? London in specific?
I've applied for common-law sponsorship application so it's ment to be speeded up alittle bit. but i'm not sure how efficient or overloaded the london office is
All visa posts are mandated to priority process dependent children and spouses (to include common law). Timeline for this is typically 6 - 12 months. I've known visa posts do some in 2 months and others in 15 months (the latter usually where there is a request for more information).

gcforever wrote:If you apply from within the US, the processing time is about 6 - 12 months. You can apply from the US if you are legally accepted to the country for 1 year.

There is no particular need to purchase any literature on immigrating to Canada especially given the affiliate 'sales' angle to the above DIY site. The official Federal site at www.cic.gc.ca has more or less all the information you need. Its a case of reading the relevant sections in particular the forms which I find have quite clear instructions.

lanwarrior wrote:gcforever wrote:
If you apply from within the US, the processing time is about 6 - 12 months. You can apply from the US if you are legally accepted to the country for 1 year.

Where did you get that information from? CIC website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department ... d-fed.html) shows that it takes 32 months for 30% of the case.

I live in US and from what I heard from other people, it takes roughly about 30 - 40 months
gc timeline in reference to spousal application not skilled worker class hence the difference.

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:12 am

Kayalami wrote:
lanwarrior wrote:gcforever wrote:

I live in US and from what I heard from other people, it takes roughly about 30 - 40 months
gc timeline in reference to spousal application not skilled worker class hence the difference.
OK. But I thought OP is talking about his application and not his spouse?

Now that I looked closely at the website above, it only list countries in South America, NOT North America. I searched and searched at CIC site but didn't find any processing times for North America applicant. Does anyone know?