ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Residence Permits

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tt

EU Residence Permits

Post by tt » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:27 pm

According to new EU legislation - New legislation will simplify conditions and administrative formalities for applying EU citizens' right to travel and reside freely throughout the European Union - EU citizens from 30 April 2006 will no longer need Residence Permits to reside in other EU countries. But they may have to register their residency within 3 months of arrival, a much simplified procedure which appears to be fairly automatic.

My 2-part question is:-
1. Which EU countries DON'T demand a Residence Permit at the moment (eg UK and Ireland don't, but of course you can get one if you want); and
2. Which EU countries WON'T demand you register your residency after 30 April 2006? (Again, I don't think eg UK and Ireland will).

bash_h

Post by bash_h » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:09 pm

tt,

Although this takes effect from April 2006, you'll find that most EU countries have already adapted their procedures to allow other EU citizens to opt-out from the REsidence Permit requirement. However, they will still normally have to register with the Authorities.

1. Im not sure that there would be any country that before a few years ago (before this legislation came into effect) that didnt require EU cits to apply for a residence permit. They only have to do it now because its EU legislation.

2. Hmm.. interesting question, but its down to what the administrative procudures are like in each country. In the UK, there has never been like a local town hall etc where they hold a database of everyone living within the area. Thats why the UK wont apply this.
On the other hand, countries like FR & NL have always had a local town hall system which keeps a record of everyone in their municipality. They ask everyone, including local citizens to register with them on this population databse, so I cant see them allowing EU citizens to opt out of this procedure.

I hope this answers your Q's.

tt

Post by tt » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:17 am

Thanks, bash_h.

As to Question part 1 - For sure, UK and Ireland do NOT demand a Residence Permit for EU Citizens right now. I do NOT know about the other EU countries situations...Do the rest of the 23 EU countries demand Residence Permits from other EU Citizens?...

As to Question part 2 - I kind of agree with what you are saying. But does this mean that EVERY EU country but for UK and Ireland will demand the Proof of Residence Certificate?... I wonder? And, meaning, that the UK and Ireland will STILL NOT demand any kind of registration of Residence Proof after this EU legislation comes through?..