ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of employment while on Tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jiggyjunk
Newly Registered

Change of employment while on Tier 2

Post by jiggyjunk » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of guidance from everyone here. I want to change my employment, and I am currently on a Tier 2 visa. My prospective employer has already issued a new certificate of sponsorship for me.

My questions are;

- Do I need to show maintenance funds to UKBA again (in my initial application my current employer wrote a letter confirming maintenance) would that suffice? The rules say if I had showed maintenance in the initial application then I do not have to, but since it was confirmed by a sponsor, I wonder how that will play out.

- Can I continue working for my current sponsor until I get the new visa?

- How soon should I leave my current employer when I get the new visa?

I have not given notice to my current employers as yet, because I am waiting to successfully lodge the new application first.

Any views would be appreciated.

Thanks

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Re: Change of employment while on Tier 2

Post by tvn_ramesh » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:49 pm

jiggyjunk wrote:Hi everyone,

I need a bit of guidance from everyone here. I want to change my employment, and I am currently on a Tier 2 visa. My prospective employer has already issued a new certificate of sponsorship for me.

My questions are;

- Do I need to show maintenance funds to UKBA again (in my initial application my current employer wrote a letter confirming maintenance) would that suffice? The rules say if I had showed maintenance in the initial application then I do not have to, but since it was confirmed by a sponsor, I wonder how that will play out.

- I think you need to show maintenance funds of 800£ as this will be your INITIAL application with your new employer and is not an EXTENSION of your current visa..

- Can I continue working for my current sponsor until I get the new visa?

- Yes you can work with your current employer while the visa is in process

- How soon should I leave my current employer when I get the new visa?

- Logically you will not be able to work with the current employer if the WP/tier2 given by them is overridded by the WP/Tier2 visa of the New Employer but i am sure there is a grace period of 28days but pls check it..

I have not given notice to my current employers as yet, because I am waiting to successfully lodge the new application first.

- That is the best thing to do if in worst case ur new visa does not come through you are in no danger with your current job..

Any views would be appreciated.

Thanks

jiggyjunk
Newly Registered

Post by jiggyjunk » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:33 am

Thanks a lot Ramesh. Much appreciated.

jiggyjunk
Newly Registered

Post by jiggyjunk » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:24 am

Well, after much research, if you are already on Tier 2 visa, and you are changing employment (either in same firm or a different firm) you do not need to show maintenance or qualifications, as these were proved in the first application.

In tha application form, on maintenance there is a tick box that says:

The applicant has, or was last granted, entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain as a:

Tier 2 Migrant;•
Jewish Agency employee;•
Member of the Operation Ground Staff of an overseas-• owned airline;
Minister of Religion, Missionary or Member of a Religious • Order;
Representative of an Overseas newspaper, News Agency • or Broadcasting Organisation; or
Work Permit holder.•

Go to L4

L4 then lets you claim the points for maintenance. Your dependants will not have to show any funds either.

But the new job has to meet the residence labour tests again!!

Hope I am on the right track. I would like to see different interpretations of this before I spend £465 :?

visaforv10

Post by visaforv10 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi tvn_ramesh,

"Logically you will not be able to work with the current employer if the WP/tier2 given by them is overridded by the WP/Tier2 visa of the New Employer but i am sure there is a grace period of 28days but pls check it.. "

just wanted to confirm whether above mentioned 28 days grace period is correct? I have a similar problem hence looking for the reply. Can you give some referene?

Thanks in advance

skg
Newly Registered

Post by skg » Thu May 27, 2010 11:47 am

Is there any guideline by UKBA about the 'grace period of 28 days' mentioned in this forum while changing the job ?

Thanks,

sunny_singh
Newly Registered

Post by sunny_singh » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:19 pm

Are the rules same or have they changed if I'd like to change companies?

Regarding minimum funds, do we need to maintain or company does? I reckon it'd be company, because they're sponsoring us ?!