ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

psw to tier 2.. advice needed plz

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

S.khan
Newly Registered

psw to tier 2.. advice needed plz

Post by S.khan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:19 am

hi thr.

I am holding psw which is due to exp by april 2010 and currently working as full-time security officer at a reputable company since august 2009. i wonder if i can plan to apply for tier 2 & importantly my employer has got the sponsorship licence.
I believe this job does not come onto shortage occupation list . Please advice so i may arrange for another alternative like going back to post graduation. Also do acknowledge me of the best option available to stay in uk.

regards

jiggyjunk
Newly Registered

Post by jiggyjunk » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:27 am

Hi,

The PSW cannot be renewed, it is given only for a maximum of two years and thats it.

If you switch to Tier 2 now, from a PSW visa, your employer does not have to do a resident labour market test, but the job has to pay more than £24,000 a year.

Hope that helps.

S.khan
Newly Registered

psw to tier 2.. advice needed plzâ€

Post by S.khan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:22 pm

jiggyjunk wrote:Hi,

The PSW cannot be renewed, it is given only for a maximum of two years and thats it.

If you switch to Tier 2 now, from a PSW visa, your employer does not have to do a resident labour market test, but the job has to pay more than £24,000 a year.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. Another worry is that the job is not on the shortage occupation list. is there any way out ?

also please send me the link of tier 2 point calculator.

regards

jiggyjunk
Newly Registered

Post by jiggyjunk » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:02 pm

The points calculator can be found here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

Cheers

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:21 am

jiggyjunk wrote:Hi,

Hope that helps.
Where did you get £24,000 from?

To switch from PSW to Tier 2 (General) you must score,
50 points for Attributes:
10 points for Qualification (Assuming you have a BA Degree)
10 points for Earnings (£20,000 GETS YOU 10 POINTS)
30 points for Sponsorship (Your employer does not have to do the Resident market labour test as you are on PSW)

This totals to the 50 point requirement.

Really, switching from PSW to Tier 2 is so simple and easy. Why would you want to do post-grad study?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:36 am

S.khan

If by "security officer" you mean security guard, then you cannot stay in the UK on Tier 2 to do that sort of work.

The following jobs are listed as jobs that certificates of sponsorship cannot be issued for.
CCTV operator
Door keeper
Night watcher
Private detective
Security officer
Store detective
See here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... actice.pdf